Stutter/FPS drop when panning camera views

Still major issue in MSFS - panning camera causes extremely stutters (from stable 30 FPS to 7-8). It is also important to note it’s not only panning camera, FPS also drops when you are flying low, or taxiing on ground. So extreme stutters on approaches, which are heavily criticized in MSFS are caused by this same issue. For me turning of photogrammetry does not help.

3 Likes

it’s 100% related to photogrammetry being enable. If you disable it, it pans a lot smoothly.

Hello, currently updated to a 5800X3D, previous CPU was 9700K and when moving the camera fps used to drop but it was acceptable, it wasn’t really noticeable, but after updating idk what happened, the fps drop is really bad. I can go from a scene that’s running at 70fps that when I start moving my camera it goes down to unstable 20’s-30’s. I’ve tried a reinstall, didn’t work. Also tried photogrammetry off, didn’t work. First screenshot is with camera movement, second one static. I always expected a drop since its being normal on my previous CPU, but not its really unplayable, how can it be dropping THAT much just by moving my camera.

2 Likes

I do have a video that show the stutter with photogrammetry

Seeing as you were already mainthread limited I’m not sure what you would expect by suddenly putting even more load on your cpu and data controllers. Either reduce initial load on the cpu to be gpu limited or find a way to improve your data transfer speeds (or both naturally).

5800X3D…kinda hard to get a better CPU…

There’s more than one way to skin a cat, how about undervolting your X3D (yes it’s possible) or faster ram or NVMe? or have you updated chipset AND processor drivers?, Windows 11?, rolling cache on ram? etc. etc.

Or of course you could stop using DLSS with such a powerful gpu or at least use a ‘quality’ setting rather than performance

This has nothing to do with my graphical settings. This is a server performance related issue. If you disable photogrammetry, I can pan smoothly without any stutter. This is an outgoing issue that many have reported. I am using some of the best hardware on the market. Even my NVME (Seagate Firecuda) is one of the fastest on the market. Ram is 3600mhz CL16. If someone like me cannot do this. There is other people who can’t. DLSS doesn’t matter here. Whether I use DLAA or any DLSS preset.

We seem to be going round in circles here.

Photogrammetry always puts extra load on the cpu and unless you are on multimonitor or VR then DLSS is there to improve graphics quality for weaker cards than a 3080ti. It’s nothing to do with the servers or internet, I have no problem keeping silky smooth on considerably lesser hardware than yourself, with photogrammetry at LOD 400 on a 50Mbps service.
5800X, rtx3060

2 Likes

it’s almost like the servers don’t always perform the same depending on which server you are on and what time of the day. Imagine that…

1 Like

I imagine there would be many many more complaints if that were actually true.
All I can suggest is you render at a higher resolution. If you still feel you must use DLSS then try creating a custom desktop 50% larger than native in each direction and using that instead. Bumping renderscale does much the same but has inferior filtering.

You can thank me later.

it doesn’t matter. it’s almost like I tried before…I understand you are trying to help but you really not. whether you are GPU or CPU bound, this is an issue with Ultra pre-caching graphic settings and photogrammetry being enable at the same time. The option is supposed to load the whole scenario instead of small FOR (Field of Rendering). This is what me and others are reporting.

1 Like

That’s easy enough to test, just disable precaching in UserCfg. For me it makes little difference but that’s probably because I have no mainthread issues.

Since you do not have any mainthread issues I’m just curious are you just flying GA aircraft in less demanding areas or did you pair a high-end CPU with low-midrange GPU?

I’m now having mainthread issues after upgrading to a mid-high spec GPU. Not having any issues if I take little Cessna to the countryside with LOD cranked all the way up with no AI addons like FSTL enabled.

Having just upgraded my cpu I’m running an undervolted (-30 curve) 5800X with an overclocked rtx3060, 32GB CL14 ram @ 3333MHz and 2x NVMe 500gb. And you are right I don’t normally fly airliners and certainly not the A310 which I’ve just been testing at KLAX. Wow! is it brutal, I had to turn off traffic and tweak LOD down to 350 just to get gpu limited at my “normal” 1620p all ultra. With a bigger gpu there would be no chance without reducing LOD considerably further.

1 Like

I’ve just been testing parked up at Klax and now I understand a little better. I don’t think it’s PG but I can see why having it disabled may help. Sharp vertical movement seems to be causing a spike in mainthread when facing multi level airport scenery and possibly precaching only affects the horizontal plane (and maybe downwards?) … Either way relieving stress on mainthread reduces the freeze to practically nothing when actually gpu limited but there is still a spike. I think it should be fixable but always remember more code equals more overhead equals less fps.

I have a 5800X3D and RTX 3070 and have the exact same problem. Any time I try to pan the camera down and then back up in the cockpit, the sim completely freezes up for 1-2 seconds. Panning left and right seems to be fine though. It doesn’t happen at all if I’m in a small airport in a location without much scenery. I’m running at 3440x1440 and ultra settings, but I’ve tested it at lower settings and the same thing happens.

2 Likes

I agree, it happens anywhere

1 Like

That’s true; it is stronger if you move the point of view away from the horizon and then back to normal; that’s why left right work better.
After a year I think I can say that this is not related to hardware, even if, of course, a good cpu helps a little.
I found that the only way to prevent this to happen is to lower the lod and turn photogrammetry off; both on them are, in my opinion, not acceptable since they are game changer; if you turn the lod to 50 and switch PG off you get FSX).
Don’t get mad on this, you can’t do anything.

I’m afraid this is a deep software bug, meaning that the software is designed to work like this; probably because of Xbox version that need to keep low ram usage or something like that.
They don’t care to fix it or they are not capable of.

Still not a word on this thread from Asobo. Unbelivable…

1 Like

After the briefest of tests it seems not to happen in default GA