Stuttering/jittering in VR mode with the Varjo Aero, RTX 4090 and 13900k cpu (solution found!)

After upgrading my pc from a 10900k/RTX 3090 to a 13900k/RTX 4090 I am seeing heavy stutters/jitters when flying in VR. No stutters appear when flying in pc mode.

The stuttering shows up every 10 to 20 seconds and disappears again after a couple of seconds. My fps are very high (Nivida performance tool: 70 fps in VR). I can´t connect any process that is running to the stuttering.

Lowering the graphics settings doesn´t help. I´ve tried everything I can think of (updated all of the software, changed every in-sim setting).

I never had this sort of problem before. After investing a lot of money in my pc and sim it´s frustrating to end up with stutters in VR.

Others have been reporting the same issue. I´d like to draw Asobos attention to the problem. Maybe one of the last updates is the culprit.

1 Like

Have you cleared your Nvidia shader cache and offline cache? These need to be reset / cleared after a card change or driver update.

Just tried that again. Deleted all cache files, but stuttering is still there.

DX11 or 12?
For me, 11 runs better (my specs are identical to yours)

Disable the rolling cache?

Im running DX11 and I also have the rolling cache disabled. I think it might have something to do with the way MSFS is trying to load data and that isn´t happening fast enough. I have a fast internet connection so it might be Asobos or Microsofts servers.

Holographic shell running?

I know it’s an old, known problem at this point but I still check for it before almost every flight… and throw it out there in replies to posts I read about these kinds of symptoms.

Good luck.

Try reducing all traffic at minimum or low levels.

Holographic shell? Gotta check that! But I think it has to do with the bandwidth problem discussed in a different thread. When running MSFS I see this:

The bandwidth isn´t evenly. It jumps like crazy, so the sim might have to catch up all the time leading to stutters or lags under heavy workload (VR).

And that might be a possible explanation for the fact, that the stutters come and go every 10 to 15 seconds.

Just read that the holographic shell issue is connected to WMR. The Varjo doesn´t use WMR.

I mainly fly online on VATSIM. So there isn´t too much traffic around most of the time.

In OpenXR toolkit lock your frames to 30 if you use reprojection otherwise will jump to from 30 to 45 creating stutter. You can go 45 but have to lower some settings. I have same setup but use a Reverb G1 headset. I am running very high res, 5115 x 5005 with no issues. I did however disable HT and oc my cpu to 6Ghz.

Turning off photogrammetry will reduce the necessary bandwidth. Could give that a try?

I have a 4090, 13900k and Aero. And I’m in the beta testing group for varjo on their Base software. One thing that was reported recently with the 12th and 13th gen intel processors was very short stutters every so often and it was traced to varjo base running on both the p cores and e cores of the 12th/13th gen intel whereas MSFS runs primarily on p cores. And e cores have slightly slower clock speeds of course. Our beta testing group figured out that by putting varjo base only on p cores that we were able to eliminate stutters. I believe that fix in varjo base is coming in the next release from varjo, but in the meantime one thing you can try is to disable e cores on your bios, or better yet leave them running as they handle tasks of course, but force varjo base to only run on p cores. You can do that using a software tool called process lasso. It’s a complicated tool and sort of an expert user thing as it can cause problems for some software if you override the Windows process scheduler. However, for varjo base it works great and I have been using it for like a month now and the user manual is great (I’m not an expert or even a software programmer type, just a normal sim user who likes tweaking things on the pc). I also force other things over to e cores like background monitoring tools to free up maximum p core cpu for. MSFS and varjo. But don’t mess with MSFS as that uses both p cores and e cores and it won’t boot if you change how it uses cores. I bought the software for $30 but there is a free version I think. The function in that tool to use is called “cpu affinity” and for any running program you can easily just pick the cpu cores for it to run on. Give this a try and see if helps you.

4 Likes

Someone over at Varjos discord channel claimed, that that problem has been fixed with Varjo Base version 3.8.1. Don’t know if that is correct.

I‘d like to know if Microsoft’s servers are keeping up with the huge amount of datastreaming necessary to serve 10 million customers. I have the feeling that the game isn’t loading data as fast as it should which handicaps my hardware. The low bandwidth thread and the missing weather thread a week ago in this forum show that there are problems connected to the server infrastructure.

Since you can’t reach 90fps, try locking to 45fps using Rivatuner. That gives me smoother performance on my G2 than leaving it uncapped, where fps will reach 50-60. Something to do with it being exactly half the refresh rate. It’s surprisingly smooth, basically perfect!

Having said that, I get microstutters now and again too, but only occasionally. Hoping a 3D chip can help there.

Exclude MSFS folder from AV scans?

Thank you all for offering your help. After a couple of days of intensive testing I know for sure now that the reason for my sims hiccups are problems with the speed the sim can draw data from the internet.

The weird thing is, that the sim only stutters in VR mode when the internet connection is slow.

Yesterday MSFS performed completely stutter free. That proves that my pc is fine, including my headset, gpu and cpu.

Since others were also seeing stuttering and low bandwidth issues it might have been the servers, but I don’t know exactly.

Anyway this sim depends greatly on a powerful pc and a fast internet connection. If one is missing, there’s no fun.

1 Like

Interesting thread - I have exactly the same problem after upgrading from a 10900k/RTX 3090 PC to a 13900k/RTX 4090. Doesn’t seem to be a frame rate problem as my frame rate never drops below 40 with everything really cranked up and my Varjo on 39. Also I notice no improvement with the latest Varjo base (3.9.0.10). I’ll try using my ethernet cable instead of WiFi, as that is much faster. Hoping to see an improvement because the stutters/jumps are really quite annoying!

Have home built 13900k/MSI 4090, Varjo at 39 & 30 FPS with latest software, Nvidia driver 528.49, DX12, openxr toolkit, DLSS Quality. Plugged in with cat 5 connection from router, fiber @ 1000M. No issues on my end, pleasure to fly. Good luck.