Stuttering problem

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing so here is a description of what I have been experiencing for the last 3 or 4 days (and have NEVER experienced before under any update).

Issue:

Load into sim (takes forevvvvver in SU6)
Sitting on runway, everything fine, frames great.
Start takeoff roll, everything fine, frames great.
At around 30 to 50 knots frames TANK to around 3 or 4.
Suffer thru (without crashing if possible) and slide show continues
Reach 300 to 500 ft, everything fine, frames great.
Reverse the above for approach.

I made not setting changes prior to the issue starting for the record. It literally seemed to have 'just appeared out of nowhere.

Turning PG off solves the issue, turn it back on and you turn the slide show back on.

SU6 was running great on my system until this. Not sure if it’s related (but seemed to coincide), I cannot save any graphics setting changes since this problem appeared.

Question:

Is the PG nightmare a system issue, Asobo issues, server issue or some combo.?

I am close to pulling the trigger on a reinstall but do not want to go thru that hassle just to find out it will not eliminate the problem.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 Likes

Sounds like a slow or disabled Rolling cache. Create a new one on your fastest drive or in ram, it need not be large. Test at a default airport with a default aircraft.

Thanks for the response. I should have mentioned that I have deleted and recreated the Rolling Cache in the sim. No change. Are referring to a system cache?

Thanks again.

The system cache should be windows managed and you should really have at least approx 15% free space on your system drive, 11% on others. I’m not sure it’s your problem though. You would be best provisionally renaming your Community folder before testing offline using default scenery and aircraft with preferably just keyboard and mouse and no nonessential apps in the background. Assuming you have no overclocks if it still stutters it’s likely to be either graphics or storage/memory, eitherway you may need updated gpu or mainboard/chipset drivers.

Thats the problem exactly. Nothing to do with the cache, its something in the PG that affects the sim. Hopefully Asobo will fix it.

1 Like

Many of us experience the exact same thing.
Please see here:

Thanks everyone, reinstall of FS makes no diff. I popped over the the thread you posted Severeeno, I did a reinstall of Win. a week or two ago. May try the reformat SSD thing tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone.

So you reinstalled Windows and MSFS and that did not solve the issue? :thinking:

No, neither made any difference. The Win. install was just a surface, not a full blown reformat. Still thinking about if I want to just erase the drive and start over.

Might just get a second SSD and put FS on it.

The reports of other people say that only full fresh install solves the issue. I am also reluctant as I have so much stuff installed related to my work. Reinstalling Windows and everything else would take an entire day for me. Considering downloads of hundreds of GB, probably a few days.

Right, a lot of hassle for a might work, might not proposition. Also tried rolling back drivers. No luck.

I was having this stuttering problem but I decided to delete usercfg.opt and try setting up my settings from scratch.
It has seemed to work just fine now. I was getting 30fps but dropping down to 25 in some areas with custom settings. I deleted the file and let MSFS create a new file. I set up the Sim with the same custom settings as before but now my frames have gone up to more like 36-40, and the Sim is much smoother now.

Same here. Before the last update it was pretty good acutally (except for known issues in high altitude clouds or nearby big airports). But now I get constant 7 fps (no matter the settings) in the cockpit, but when I switch to the exterior cam I suddenly get 30 fps. Something strange going on here especially since the 30 fps still have judders all the time…

Does that also include key/joystick bindings? I do not mind setting up all settings except cameras and key bindings.

Not that I’m aware off, I think they are saved differently somewhere else.

Anyone wish to correct me if I’m wrong here?

I went ahead and uninstalled FS, did a full-blown reinstall of Windows and finally reinstall of FS.

Seems to have solved the problem.

Just a completely stock version of FS, no mods what-so-ever. Flew for the first time a little bit ago (did all of this before work early this morning). Absolutely smooth no matter where or when I flew.

Ran so good I’m scared to start stickling mods back in.

Anyway, still don’t know what caused the issue but scrubbing the drive and starting over seems to have taken care of it.

At least for now.

1 Like

That seems to be the only solution until MS/Asobo resolve the issue. The WU6 update has apparently corrupted files in certain user’s systems that affect photogrammetry. It will be a shame if they do not acknowledge this.

1 Like

I guess there is no other way. Full reinstall of everything.
I will wait until SU6 hits, but I doubt it will solve anything. After that, I will do a full reinstall.

Thank you everyone for confirmation that it actually solved the issue.

Yep, looks like I will do the same…

Which ‘certain users’ would that be?