Stutters after recent update (1.29.30.0)

I’m now getting pretty choppy stutters in rural forested areas now. Currently in the Amazon Rainforest on a Grand Caravan.

At a loss as to why this is happening on a 4090. Had better performance with a 3090 before the smaller December update.

That’s to be expected. Photogrammetry has always been demanding, heck my older PC would freeze when enabling Google Earth’s photogrammetry.
I gain a signifant amount of fps with it disabled.

Keep in mind I had no issues with it before the Dec update.

1 Like

What December update or are you using the beta? The Dec update has nothing to do with it. I don’t recall seeing anything in the notes related to scenery!

I dont know for sure which update. The stutter started early december at any low level flight. Prior to that the sim was running perfectly.

I’m having similar issues some of the time in your case (or anybody else’s), do the stutters coincide with spiking CPU or GPU times, as indicated by the dev mode FPS counter?

In my case they don’t. So according to the counter, CPU thread are smoothly running at 8-11ms, GPU at around 12-14ms consistently. Yet at the same time I get these stutters coming in and out, while FPS is fully locked at 45 (=22ms).

Anyone else have this issue where the stutters are NOT correlated with frametimes/FPS?

1 Like

Also joined because of this issue.
12900k, 4090, 64GiB of RAM. Anything with dense textures, like major airports at low altitude, cause major stuttering. GPU is only using about 20-30% utilization, CPU is barely at 5% utilization (global), and tons of memory is free. I did notice that the HDD LED is going NUTS when this happens. It’s a 980 Pro on gen 4, so I would assume it has enough bandwidth and linear read speeds. I’ll check stats on disk usage to see if there’s anything there.

1 Like

Okay, so disk usage is minimal while flying. BUT, network usage is through the roof when dense textures are present. We have gigabit fiber, and can use about 935 Mbit/s reliably of that. I saw FS2020 consuming over 50-60 Mbit/s when flying at low altitude over dense textures, so I’m almost certain that’s playing a big role. I thought most of this stuff was cached locally, but clearly it doesn’t seem to be the case.

1 Like

Have seen other reports on FB and Reddit.

Never happened like this before the December update or with my 3090.

1 Like

Same issue here, flew EFHK-EGLL, Headwind A339. Stutter started on final below 1000ft, quickly deteriorate to 1fps, no response whatsoever. Never had this issue before the Dec update.

1 Like

Most definitely yes! I have come to the conclusion that these types of symptoms reflect issues with the sim itself, add-ons and/or server load issues and not PC performance. I have a 5900x with rx 6800 w/16gig vram and 500mbps up/down internet connection.

I believe that monster video cards such as the 4090 just mask these issues.

Unfortunately even the 4090 is not inmune to these stutters. It’s definitely gotten worse recently though, so many people are reporting stutters since the last updates.

Glad to hear im not the only one with these non-diagnosable stutters.

1 Like

So, it looks like it’s not just on my end lol.
I have a 13900KF with a 3090 and it quickly gets to a point where the sim is unplayable.
ATM I’m back in P3D I kept installed for good reasons.

What exactly are your stutter symptoms like? And DX11 or 12? I have stutter issues with both…
One second it will be literally silky smooth, the next I get constant microstutters, then smooth again… All the while the FPS counter threads show no spikes or other anomalies and fps is locked solid at 45.

Its so frustrating as my machine is clearly capable of sustaining that smoothness constantly (even in NYC), yet these stutters keep arising with no identifiable source.

When did it start for you? I feel like it was either SU11 or the recent hotfix.

2 Likes

So for everyone who reported stutters, have you turned off photogrammetry and tried again? I’d be curious to know what the outcome has been. Since I turned mine off, no stutters and "ultra’’ performance.

Yep I’ve tried it, still had stutters unfortunately. But even if it it had worked, turning off PG is not a viable solution IMO.

I have exact the same like you for a couple of days now. Running with a 13900k, 4090 and 64gb DDR5-6000 and sometimes I have only 1 frame every 3 seconds. Sometimes 1 frame I’m stable and the next I have a bank angle of 70° lol

I don’t understand what’s going on there either.
Apparently they always manage to tear down with their ■■■ what they have built up with their hands. Always the same pattern.
First comes a revolutionary update that makes everything better, and then a lot of “updates” come that ruin everything again.
I’m starting to lose interest in this sim.

I get the same symptoms too - runs okay at the start, then down to a slideshow when landing.

I just tried a short flight from Canberra (YSCB) to Sydney (YSSY) in the PMDG 737. It went okay until about 10 mile final then became a slideshow and I couldn’t continue flying and had to exit.

It seems interesting reading these posts how many of us are having this issue with the newer CPUs - I have an Intel 12900K with a 3070 card and Win11. My friend has an old i5 8400 and a 1080 card, and he flies the PMDG around with no issue whatsoever (Win10) - so I wonder if there was an MSFS sim update which adversely affected the newer CPU architecture.

It all started for me around the time of SU10. Prior to that, my MSFS was silky smooth for the entire flight. It is now unflyable once the stutters commence. I’ve also tried DX11 and DX12 and get no real difference in the slideshow stuttering (I’ve tried just about every other solution posted on here too). I’m just hoping something comes along one day to fix this.