Stutters and freezes after World Update 7 with third-parties mesh (DEM)

It seems WU7 broke many third-parts (pay and free) mesh mods.
With mesh mod the sim freeze a lot, i tested it with free throglodytus mod (Italian Alps 20 Dem, Austria 10 Dem, Switzerland from flightsim.to) and Taburet mod too (Italy Dem 10m from simmarket).
I tested it with default airplanes and community folder with mesh mod only, deleting rolling cache.
MSFS became unplayable with this mod for me.
Before WU7 all the mesh mod worked fine.
Does it happen to you too?

My system:
I9 9900k (base clock)
RTX 3080ti
32GB ddr4 3200Mhz
nvme 500GB

2 Likes

Just did a test flight in the Italian Alps with the Troglodytus mesh installed and also got lots of mini freezes.

Just going to test some areas with Orbx mesh and Mikeaat meshes. Will report back…

EDIT: Tried sprightlyoldman Canary 2m DEM from flightsim.to and that was smooth as butter, same with Orbx Iceland mesh. Got a few stutters with Taburet Hawaii mesh. The Troglodytus Italian Alps mesh was the worst of the lot.

Those meshes from flightsim.to have always caused me freezing when flying around that area, if that’s anything. Maybe check to see if your gfx settings have been changed in the update? Some of mine had been reverted to a config I had not had in weeks after the update.

Thank you Stuthemoose i think the mesh that causes stutters and freezes needs some optimization because ORBX Himalaya works fine with WU7.
Tried me too CanaryDem 2mt by sprightlyoldman (flightsim.to) : minor stutters/freezes in the center of Gran Canaria but playable.

Yes the graphics setting are the same, in sim and in Nvidia CP. I tried with default, low settings olso.

Hi,
Since WU7 flying in the alps with the 10m mesh for Austria by Troglodytus has become impossible. Severe stutters since WU7.
Had to remove the Troglodytus meshes for Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Italy. But now the morphing of the mountains has returned. Not good.

1 Like

Throwing my hat into this too. I started a thread about massive freezing/stuttering issues I’ve encountered recently when using mesh addon

Strange Freezing/Stutter - Third Party Addon Discussion / Scenery Packs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

whoops sorry, i just opened an identical topic. let me paste it over here.

oookay, here’s my take:

Hello there,

it seems that after World Update 7, the Areas which are using custom DEM data by the most popular Creators on flightsim.to (Mikea.at, Troglodytus) and mediocre Payware creators like Taburet are causing problems.

The simulator simply freezes for timespans of half a seconds up to 3-4 seconds, Audio signal cuts off, motion blur gets frozen in the picture, etc.

I was able to narrow it down to the DEM files. Even though I am saying “after World Update 7”, i am not referring to problems on the australian continent, no, it suddenly affects the european alps, the canary island, balearic islands… you name it.

We are talking about a powerful system, 5900x, 3080ti, 64 gig, m.2 SSDs here, which has no problems flying low over gigabytes and gigabytes of photogrammetry data.

Still, I need no emphasize that the MESH Data, as sold by Orbx, are not affected by this detioration in performance, they are still running perfectly.

Somebody on flightsim.to mentioned, that Orbx meshs might be CGL-based while the DEMs from mikea.at and troglodytus are not, but that’s not my field of expertise.

Has anybody made the same experience and shared my observations?

Greetings,

Paul

i confirm stutters for Troglodytus Italian Alps, Austrian Alps, Taburet Canaries, Mikea.at balearic islands

I had no problem with Orbx Himalayas, Iceland, New Zealand, Alaska

The only DEM that gave me significant problems before WU7 was mikea.at Svalbard - but i didnt need that so urgently either.

people have contacted troglodytus on flightsim.to before and he will try recompiling his DEM (possibly italy) to see if it helps, but to be honest, i think there is a problem on the Asobo side and it would not be fair to urge mostly-freeware-guys who do their best to make our experience better to “eat the salty soup that Asobo served us”.

Hopefully, this can be solved somehow…

1 Like

We know these meshes worked well; served the community well for over a year; the problem is with microsoft as the mesh worked perfectly before wu7.

3 Likes

yes, but microsoft will probably not fix it - they can’t even fix that right-mouse-click free view freezes the throttle and rudder inputs :frowning: and that would be an easy one - here they actually need to investigate.

i guess we’re lost :frowning:

1 Like

hmmm this brings a new dimension to it - if we look at GPU load, maybe it’s a NVIDIA driver issue after all, have you tried rolling back the drivers? maybe i should give that a shot as well

have not tried to roll back drivers. thats usually a last resort for me.

I wrote to Taburet about this issue and he tested the affected addons and replied that Worl Update 7 has probably decreased the resources affecting the terrain engine either by mistake or intentionally. It could be a bug but it could have been done to balance the simulator resource distribution.

1 Like

Second case would be the nail in the coffin for bgl DEMs

not at all heightmaps are a useful method to change terrains they just need to be adapted to the sim

Thank-you! Was going to msg Ray myself. He just released a revised Italy DEM with changes made for WU7. FSDT Switzerland is also a stuttery mess with the described in this thread, audio crackles, and the lot. Using Island creations scenery premium plus versions of Canaries, Gran Canaria, is a 55GB scenery for the Island, and also comes with DEMs. Stutters, audio crackling. Long pauses. This didn’t happen before, was a very smooth area. 9900k 64GB Gskill (Samsung B-die) rtx3090. Seems that SU6 increased CPU load as did WU7, had to do a serious LOD reduction through both updates to stay stutter free. I’ve tried the Island creations with their DEMs, The CanaryDem 2mt by sprightlyoldman (flightsim.to), Taburet Canaries. All the same. sprightlyoldman version being the best, only Gran Canaria producing a large pause or two and some audio crackles with stutters.

EDIT: I have msg’d FSDT and Island Creations with links to this thread.

2 Likes

I reached out to the developer of Taiwan DEM and he confirmed the latest update broke DEM and he’s working on a solution but no ETA yet…

1 Like

flightsim.to… wasteland of bad software