Stutters and freezes after World Update 7 with third-parties mesh (DEM)

Hi,
Since WU7 flying in the alps with the 10m mesh for Austria by Troglodytus has become impossible. Severe stutters since WU7.
Had to remove the Troglodytus meshes for Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Italy. But now the morphing of the mountains has returned. Not good.

1 Like

Throwing my hat into this too. I started a thread about massive freezing/stuttering issues I’ve encountered recently when using mesh addon

Strange Freezing/Stutter - Third Party Addon Discussion / Scenery Packs - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

whoops sorry, i just opened an identical topic. let me paste it over here.

oookay, here’s my take:

Hello there,

it seems that after World Update 7, the Areas which are using custom DEM data by the most popular Creators on flightsim.to (Mikea.at, Troglodytus) and mediocre Payware creators like Taburet are causing problems.

The simulator simply freezes for timespans of half a seconds up to 3-4 seconds, Audio signal cuts off, motion blur gets frozen in the picture, etc.

I was able to narrow it down to the DEM files. Even though I am saying “after World Update 7”, i am not referring to problems on the australian continent, no, it suddenly affects the european alps, the canary island, balearic islands… you name it.

We are talking about a powerful system, 5900x, 3080ti, 64 gig, m.2 SSDs here, which has no problems flying low over gigabytes and gigabytes of photogrammetry data.

Still, I need no emphasize that the MESH Data, as sold by Orbx, are not affected by this detioration in performance, they are still running perfectly.

Somebody on flightsim.to mentioned, that Orbx meshs might be CGL-based while the DEMs from mikea.at and troglodytus are not, but that’s not my field of expertise.

Has anybody made the same experience and shared my observations?

Greetings,

Paul

i confirm stutters for Troglodytus Italian Alps, Austrian Alps, Taburet Canaries, Mikea.at balearic islands

I had no problem with Orbx Himalayas, Iceland, New Zealand, Alaska

The only DEM that gave me significant problems before WU7 was mikea.at Svalbard - but i didnt need that so urgently either.

people have contacted troglodytus on flightsim.to before and he will try recompiling his DEM (possibly italy) to see if it helps, but to be honest, i think there is a problem on the Asobo side and it would not be fair to urge mostly-freeware-guys who do their best to make our experience better to “eat the salty soup that Asobo served us”.

Hopefully, this can be solved somehow…

1 Like

We know these meshes worked well; served the community well for over a year; the problem is with microsoft as the mesh worked perfectly before wu7.

3 Likes

yes, but microsoft will probably not fix it - they can’t even fix that right-mouse-click free view freezes the throttle and rudder inputs :frowning: and that would be an easy one - here they actually need to investigate.

i guess we’re lost :frowning:

1 Like

hmmm this brings a new dimension to it - if we look at GPU load, maybe it’s a NVIDIA driver issue after all, have you tried rolling back the drivers? maybe i should give that a shot as well

have not tried to roll back drivers. thats usually a last resort for me.

I wrote to Taburet about this issue and he tested the affected addons and replied that Worl Update 7 has probably decreased the resources affecting the terrain engine either by mistake or intentionally. It could be a bug but it could have been done to balance the simulator resource distribution.

1 Like

Second case would be the nail in the coffin for bgl DEMs

not at all heightmaps are a useful method to change terrains they just need to be adapted to the sim

Thank-you! Was going to msg Ray myself. He just released a revised Italy DEM with changes made for WU7. FSDT Switzerland is also a stuttery mess with the described in this thread, audio crackles, and the lot. Using Island creations scenery premium plus versions of Canaries, Gran Canaria, is a 55GB scenery for the Island, and also comes with DEMs. Stutters, audio crackling. Long pauses. This didn’t happen before, was a very smooth area. 9900k 64GB Gskill (Samsung B-die) rtx3090. Seems that SU6 increased CPU load as did WU7, had to do a serious LOD reduction through both updates to stay stutter free. I’ve tried the Island creations with their DEMs, The CanaryDem 2mt by sprightlyoldman (flightsim.to), Taburet Canaries. All the same. sprightlyoldman version being the best, only Gran Canaria producing a large pause or two and some audio crackles with stutters.

EDIT: I have msg’d FSDT and Island Creations with links to this thread.

2 Likes

I reached out to the developer of Taiwan DEM and he confirmed the latest update broke DEM and he’s working on a solution but no ETA yet…

1 Like

flightsim.to… wasteland of bad software

FSDreamTeams Switzerland mesh on XBox has caused issues with massive stuttering since the very first release in XBox, although it has worked on PC. So indeed, there may be something about the resource usage, since the PC is now acting the way XBox has with the mesh for months.

1 Like

Had no idea that was the case. We’re all in it together now it seems :slight_smile:

Actually, it’s good news for Xbox users. There were many Xbox users that reported the problem to FSDreamTeam, and their response to the XBox community was “We tested it and it is performing fine. There must be something wrong with your setup”. Xbox users didn’t know at the time that “testing” meant running it on PC through the emulator, which we have learned acts very different than a real XBox. So now that it is broken on PC, maybe XBox users will finally get an update after 6 months that makes this mesh work, because it’s been broken on XBox since day 1 6 months ago

1 Like

Taburet canary hawaii italy meshes work perfectly well

Do you still need swiss mesh after ms updated default mesh ?