Stutters and NCP Max Frame Rate usage

With the latest two SUs I noticed that if I used the Nvidia Control Panel (NCP) to limit the frame rates in VR, it produces stutters in some situations, mostly when making any sort of turn when looking out at the terrain from the cockpit. Seems if I let the sim run without that NCP frame rate limit those stutters are greatly, if not completely, eliminated. With the prior SUs in VR, if I didn’t set a NCP max frame limit it’d stutter all the time, yet setting the NCP limit gave smooth performance almost all the time. Using a G2 driven by a 3080 ti FTW3 in an OCed 1070 with 32 GB 4000 cas 16 DDR4. With my MSFS settings I get 45-53 fps without the NCP limit, and I was using a limit of 45. Anyone have any observations on my situation, just curious if anyone else has seen this behavior. Thanks for reading

I don’t have VR but all the same I still advise to recalibrate MSFS after every SU as parameters are bound to have changed - Disable framecaps, vsync etc. while you do, the time to enable them is after the retune.

I’ve got a 3080 and don’t use any max frame rate in ncp. Still get some stutters. I hear the new 4090 still gets some stutters. Make sure your cpu is up to your gpu. I changed my i7-10700 for an i9-12900 last year. Major improvement!

Yes, I see the same behavior. I have an all-AMD system (5800x and 6900xt) with a reverb G2. In the past I always limited my fps to 36 using the AMD control panel. It worked great with very little stutters compared to uncapped which stuttered much more. Now uncapped is almost stutter-free while capped at 36 stutters more.

It took me by surprise as well but now I run solely without capping my framerate. I also run using DX12 so I thought that had an impact on my experience but maybe not since you’re mentioning it also.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, and that goes for everyone. Your DX12 observation was spot on. I was experimenting with DX12 and found that I liked the fps boost, but it also was the culprit of the locked max frame rate stutters. I’ve decided for now to go back to DX11 even with its performance deficiency. I’d rather have the smooth consistent experience of a fixed 45 fps along with not having my CPU and GPU trading off all the time being thoroughly maxed. I use DLSS Balanced most of the time, but if the weather is clear I sometimes use DLSS Quality; 100% GA flier.

You might have found a way to make it better than jt was but your observation about the last 2 sim updates is correct, i think. Dlss made frame rates amazing yet the stutters are worse than in su9 and before. I use riva tuner to lock frames which fixed 80% of the problem, btw. But its still a problem / bug and i really really hope they fix in su12 (doubt it though). For what its worth i have a 4090 /13900k and still get worse stutters than with su9. Much higher frame rates and resolution, of course!

I installed the 528.24 nvidia driver a few days ago and gave DX12 and a NCP max frame limit of 48 a try. So far, no excessive stutters using this driver with these settings; it’s same smoothness as DX11 with the fps limiter. I like using the limiter because it lightens the CPU/GPU load without any appreciable loss in the quality of the flight experience. I don’t always peg 48 fps, takeoffs and landings are sometimes around 43-46 fps. For large and well populated airports I find that my LOD settings are what lowers the FPS the most. It’d be so excellent if the LOD settings could be set as a min/max range for automatic CPU load leveling.

I agree that the smoothness in VR just isn’t as good as it was with SU9 regardless of any of the lowered settings mixes I’ve tried. My OCed 1070 seems to be my limiting factor, it maxes out around 57-60 fps. IMO MSFS is stuck as was FSX with an awful single big fat thread design.

I would highly recommend limiting to 45fps (assuming your HMD is 90hz) using Rivatuner. Smooth as can be!

45fps is actually smoother than 48fps, 55fps,etc. Try it!

I can’t tell if frame rate limiting at 45 is any smoother than 48 for my G2 3080ti combo in VR. If anything it seems that 48 is a tad better, plus that fps ceiling is the highest ‘sweet spot’ for my MSFS settings. Yet another case of YMMV (or for me, placebo effect) strikes.

Weird, I’ve heard several people say 45fps is smoothest by far on the G2, same is true for me

1 Like

I’m surprised that MSFS doesn’t have a direct (as in not tied to vsync and monitor refresh rate) FPS limiter built in like FSX did. What’s interesting is that FSX would use that limit to internally load level its execution threads and fibers to best utilize the frames’ execution budget, e.g. 50 fps has a 20 ms execution budget. Wonder if the MSFS execution model has something akin to this, though in VR mode it seems that that sort of control can’t be available. I fully agree that a 45 fps limit is a great ‘compromise’ for the best G2 performance, compromise in that you’re purposely limiting performance for the sake of a well balanced sim/graphics execution (as in smooth) for the G2. I wonder how VR will (if ever) handle DLSS3 Frame Generation in this regard, mainly if using the driver’s max frame limit is copacetic with FG use. Dang, imagine driving a G2 fully pegged at 90 FPS in MSFS, man that’s the stuff of dreams.

BTW, I get 90 fps in the IL2 Great Battles sim though its settings, like for MSFS, have to be tuned down some. That sim an absolute mess in VR if you’re not getting at least in the mid 80s.