Stutters every few seconds with high end PC

Hi guys,

I have the following specs:

AMD 5800X
32Gb 3600 Ram
AMD RX6800XT 16GB
1Tb SSD

Windows 10 with all updates. All drivers up to date. 600Mbps fiber but I receive about 300 in 5Ghz WiFi.

I’m experiencing a weird stuttering problem mostly with complex or glass panel aircraft, like FBW A32NX, or the default TBM for example. Mostly in dense buildings areas.

A small stutter occurs every few seconds. It’s not microstutters due to FPS and Hz desync or smothing related. The sim is really smooth using Freesync. It’s something related to issue or bug with performance.
If I drop the settings from near Ultra to High and the LOD to 100 it doesn’t stutter, but I think my PC is capable of more, when no stutter occurs the sim is smoooth as butter even in Ultra aand 200-300 LOD.

*** Everytime a stutter occurs, you can see in the FPS counter that the graph for Mainthread and GPU drops and go red for a moment. You can see this in the video.

Tested with an empty community folder, with addons, no background programs, etc…

Is this normal? It’s a bug Asobo need to fix?

First thing I would look at would be does it do the same thing if you fly offline. (Is the issue rooted in streamed data?)

Turn off ALL streamed data.
Crank up the visuals to what you have previously been ok with.
Test again.

Almost everything is streamed
Servers clearly suffering extreme congestion since the SU6 update went live.

If the CPU is waiting on streamed data then stuttering would make sense.

1 Like

So Photogrammetry? Or also another options?

I would start with everything off and then slowly add it back until you see stuttering again.

At least that way you get a better feel for whether it’s one of your settings or a server issue that will probably settle down in a few days once the update frenzy is over.

2 Likes

I always fly with traffic and multiplayer off, so I’ll test turning off photogrammetry

And in case you still got stutters when offline, you might want to check your services and programs that run in the background and deactivate what you don’t need.

I have no programs in background. Tried closing OneDrive but it has no effects.

Good tip but I usually see a peak in posts about performance issues right after an update (when the servers are clearly struggling like they have been this last day or so.)

I usually don’t play for a few days and update after the rush is over so don’t see it so much myself these days.

3 Likes

Good point. Didn’t think of that.

Undoing my small gpu overclock fixed this for me, I uninstalled Afterburner at the same time although I have reinstalled it today without any problems (but I haven’t reinstalled Riva yet).

1 Like

I forgot to mention that I experienced the same stutters before SU6.

The solution I found that got rid of the majority of micro stutters I was having between SU4 and SU5 was capping my framerate at 60 fps in my video card settings and in-game for MSFS. I’m not sure what video card settings program AMD has, but Nvidia has Nvidia Control Panel where you can assign parameters for general use or have them be program specific. Once you cap your framerate via your video card program, do the same in-game under Graphics – turn on Vsync and limit frames to 60.

YMMV, but my frames instantly smoothed out and I play with my in-game settings hovering between High and Ultra with my LOD set to 100 and that includes running OBS, TrackIR, peripherals, etc.

I still get the occasional random 1-2 second long stutter but that usually happens only once per flight session, which was certainly better than having stutters throughout the flight. Since a lot of the visual data is streamed, you can possibly lower the chance of stutters by lowering overall graphic settings like LOD, which will help buffer how much data is being transferred. You’re essentially just trying to find the sweet spot between data flow and what your rig and internet can process at once.

Note that I pretty much only do this framerate cap tweak for MSFS, so if this isn’t a game specific setting for your video card setting program, don’t forget to change it back for other games.

Good luck!

My PC Specs for reference:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS
ASUS ROG Swift PG43UQ Monitor
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3090
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM

1 Like

Ok, tested again with ALL online settings off, and no success, so it’s not a stream data problem.

Sim is smooth as silk with Freesync, but with these stutters every few seconds.

Am I the only one with this issue? Really?

Make sure you are running the latest versions of any gaming software or better still try running vanilla and take it from there.

Afterburner caused mine initially but I reinstalled even the same version after SU6 and it’s been fine ever since.

I tested with empty community folder and same issue

Geforce? MSI centre (or whatever you have). Also set your power plan in control panel, there may be other options in there, balanced or high and in my case there’s AMD settings too. (search control panel in the task bar)

Tested with High Performance and Balanced Windows plans. (Ryzen 5000 don’t have custom power plans).

Don’t have MSI Center installed.

This is starting to feel like pulling teeth … what have you got running besides the sim? Have you tried disabling all start up items? etc. Is your PC completely up to date?

I’m asking because I had exactly the same short freezes every few seconds and stopping everything else but the sim cured it.

I don’t run anything beside the sim. Only what Windows loads for default.

My system is up to date, drivers are up to date, it’s a fresh Windows install two weeks ago, no much software installed, only the basic like Office, drivers, Telegram and a few apps but very clean.