Stutters on ground while taxiing and taking off, same as SU8

I tested a new MSFS execution mode from the processor cores point of view. As I have an AMD Ryzen, I accessed the BIOS and disable the SMT ; which is the HT (Hyperthreading for AMD processors). This way I’m working only with the 6 logical cores of my R5 3600X, thus deactivating the 12 virtual cores. It seems to me that the performance is a little more stable and the sttuters have decreased (but they do happen). I think that here we validate that what was observed regarding the distribution of work in the processors should have a little more attention from DEVS.

In my case, enabling SMT improves performance overall but only very slightly (about 1-2 FPS higher). But what I’m noticing is that when performance drops on the ground, overall CPU utilisation falls a lot and no core is maxed out (despite being MainThread limited).

Hi all,

I am capping FPS in game at 30 and applying mostly high settings with the exception of clouds, pre-caching and textures where I am at ultra. I get stutters when doing quick turns during taxiing or pushback irrespective of LOD. I should however clarify that these stutters are not accompanied by a drop in FPS and “limited by main thread” condition. Have others experienced such kind of stuttering ? RTX 2060, i7-9700F, 32GB, SSD.

On my slower machine, I see something similar, but I do see the Main Thread take a hit, and I wonder if it also happens on your system but too quickly to really spot in Dev Mode. It does seem like the CPU has to re-allocate things you were NOT looking at before when you turn quickly.

But yours may not be the exact same issue others are mentioning in this thread.

The tug can be problematic (especially the add on). Are you using a 3rd party tug, do you have the option on your top of the screen menu for pushback?

I wear. But I already did the test without it and it also seemed to be a placebo effect like the NDU adjustment.

I will try to maybe add some hints that could be useful. This is, by the way, not new a bug. It was there as long as I can remember. In an existing thread, it was already identified some months ago that the problem is linked to photogrammetry cities, but not necessarily the ones near the airport where you are.

So, if you start removing photogrammetry cities modules from the content manager in, let´s say, France, you get better FPS when landing in Madrid (LEMD). In fact, you avoid the dramatic drop that you would normally get.

I share with you an example, this is the stock MSFS, default scenario and default A320. Same settings, live weather, etc. I have removed the photogrammetry cities from the UK, Germany, France, Japan and GOTY updates.

I am landing always in LEMD (Madrid) on Runway 32L, and I am leaving the runway always through the same exit

You can see some screenshots during the flare, landing roll, and exit

Ok, so FPS are lower than during cruise (normally I get 40s-50s), but still at an acceptable level.

Now what happens if I install again all photogrammetry cities?

During final approach, 45 FPS, not bad

During the flare, it goes below 30 fps, no longer smooth

Farther down the runway, I get 20 FPS, we start with the slideshow

When exiting the runway, I get 19fps, no longer playable

I think this bug can be reproduced 100%, and it´s bug. The only difference between those 2 tests are the photogrammetry cities… thousands of kilometers away from Madrid.

That´s a 40% FPS drop (15FPS) in Madrid, because of having photogrammetry cities from other countries installed. Makes no sense. The same is happening in other airports, this is the most clear case I found.

Would be great if they can solve this bug because for those of us without a high-end PC, it´s frustrating to get smooth FPS (50s-60s) during flight and then we can´t do a normal landing because of it.

22 Likes

Thank you very much for the thoughtful, detailed reply. Very helpful!

That kind of detail takes considerable time and effort to put together, so thanks again, greatly appreciate it!

2 Likes

Great explanation of the bug.

I hope Asobo developers read your report and try to reproduce it. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Hi, I see your point, indeed there is some flickering in the FPS monitor looking like moving from GPU limited to Main Thread limited but very quick and momentary. The problem arises with both the in-game pushback facility (fixed speed) and the Ambitous Pilots pushback toolbar addon when I opt for the pre-planned pushback which fixes the speed at a certain level. If I choose manual pushback with the pushbak addon and do it at a slow speed then things go smooth. Same kind of stutter happens if I make an abrupt turn when the plane is taxiing versus a very slow turn (in which case there is no problem). In a nutshell, it seems the speed of the turn is the issue which makes it a problem that can be dealt with but of course it would be nice if there was no stutter even at higher turn or pushback speeds.

1 Like

Do you mind checking to see what a difference switching to clear sky makes? I think these new clouds may be hitting the system harder than before, kinda forcing folks to recallibrate their graphics around them.

It happens even with clear skies; when I have clouds the hit is on the GPU - higher temp and lower FPS but without stuttering per se.

I also noticed that on the ground. When I push back it’s not a fluid motion, more stop an go (stutters)
Also in the air but let’s noticeable

1 Like

Exactly, especially when the push back is not straight but involves a turn.

1 Like

After deactvating photogrammetry and also deleting the cities with photogrammetry the stutters are 99% gone. At least while pushback

2 Likes

I am afraid that for me this does not change anything. The only solution is turning very slowly.

Nice report. Unfortunately I remember reading about this issue a long time ago. Disappointing that it’s not getting any attention by the dev team. These type of performance issues always seem to get tagged as “feedback-logged” or “bug-logged”, but rarely (if ever) any resolution.

Hello,
I’m on steam and I also have the issue of stuttering when taking off with the white circle spinning at the bottom right of the screen since SU8.

Try toggling developer mode on to prevent whatever event is triggering the white circle. When takeoff or landing it’s usually related to the flight log. Developer mode on will prevent your hours and flight from being logged however. You could try toggling it on then immediately back off again.

1 Like

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/stutters-on-ground-while-taxiing-and-taking-off-same-as-su8/508326/18

I do the workaround of sign out and join again and the White circle It is there

1 Like