SU5 graphics quality

Did you see that this fixed by changing the render scale?

Increasing rendet scale is not a “solution” when it kills your FPS to stuttery levels, especially when it was fine at a lower render scale before SU5

2 Likes

I have been able to increase the render scale from 100 to 150 since the SU5 and have a really good image quality. Only going to 200 “kills” the FPS for me. I don’t really know how that should not be a “solution” you can use to improve the image quality instead of complaining here? One of the really painless ones in my opinion.

1 Like

What does this even mean?

1 Like

A small increase will not make much too much difference to FPS, and as the sim performance and frame rates are now so much higher, your FPS will still be higher than you had before SU5 anyway.

Have you tried it? Increasing LODs and render scale has given people MUCH BETTER results than before SU5 (see my video earlier in the thread), Some of them were previously CONVINCED there was a downgrade but now see the opposite. I won’t call them out but they may be prepared to identify themselves?

Of course, some people aren’t actually interested in SOLVING their issues because they are too invested in perpetuating the ‘downgrade to work on Xbox’ nonsense. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Of course ive tried it. I usually run OXR/70 TAA100. Increasing TAA by even 10-20% causes a huge frame drop from 40is to 30-35ish,and it STILL shimmers. If i go higher, it becomes unplayable. Good for you guys who think 20-25 FPS is acceptable in VR, but its not for me.

This is on a 3080 btw

1 Like

Ah, we are talking about VR? Did you by chance use the “2D render scale hack” to have crisp image before SU5? I have stated it elsewhere, the VR has currently not been worked on since it was launched, so me personally am not expecting anything special out of it. Now that they have launched the XBOX and finished the massive code updates in the core game, we can slowly start to expect attention to VR. Right now, it is what it is, mine actually did improve in SU5 as now I can improve the in-game VR scaling from 60 to 70 or 80 and still get pretty smooth experience, with 2070s.

1 Like

What is your headset? I have a G2 and use 80 OXR,100% render scale in VR with zero shimmering and averaging 40 to 50 FPS. If have recently started using LODs set to 4(00) and this only seems to cost me 3 or 4 FPS and makes a big difference visually. I will probably be taking this up even further, in an image quality for FPS trade off, till I find the sweet spot. The increased performance makes this a viable option now, allowing tuning to higher quality visuals.

Edit: this is also on a 3080.

Interesting , i have a G2 too and you seem to be getting much better performance. Whats your cpu and ram speed?

I have an 8700k@4.8ghz and 32gb of 3200mhz RAM

Guess you got lucky with the shimmering somehow or you simply dont notice it. Must be nice!

ohh, thats only 80% nativ, or? Is this not a blurry mess?
Or have OXR SS over nativ? that is the resolution in pix?
Only a question, i dont use wmr since the reverb.

Na OXR is different. Even 50% still looks OK. 50% is native

1 Like

ahh, thanks

Hello all,

after reviewing several posts in this topic, I want to remind everyone to keep posts constructive!

Dont engage in personal discussions and don’t go against each other.

Further forum guideline violations will result in formal or official warnings.

Thank you.

@TidalPopcorn618 @FlyingMastrChef

And here is how mine look as of about 4 minutes ago, directly over KORL, using Live Weather. That’s roughly 1.5 hours by car from where I sit typing these words, and from what I know about the weather they’re actually having, what I can see out my window, plus my experience as a real world pilot, this is pretty much precisely what I would expect to see IRL. I’ll say it again, if this is considered degraded, I’d really like to know exactly what your expectations really are, because this is virtually indistinguishable from a real life photo, except the fact that such a photo angle is pretty much impossible to capture in real life.

Well, maybe with a chase plane and a very large, expensive lens used by a really good photog.

EDIT: This photo does show what is one of my biggest pet peeves about su5 and it’s hot fixes, and that’s the fact that you can’t make your tail number not show. I tried using just a period, but it wouldn’t let me so I changed it to just a “1” to be as nonintrusive as possible, but as you can see, it’s still quite visible from the right angle.

1 Like

I have an 11900K (at 5.2Ghz all cores) with 64GB 3600Mhz RAM now but a while ago (post SU5) I swapped my card back into my old 6700K (at 4.6Ghz all cores) system, with 32GB 2600Mhz RAM, to see what the difference was on older hardware - I was surprised how little difference the CPU makes. I was still able to run at the same max settings (LOD 200) and frame rate was averaging about 30, although it did dip to very low 20s sometimes. Not noticeable to me though. There was no shimmering.

My 3800 is quite highly overclocked, which may be a factor in the performance difference, with the core clock at 2040Mhz.

However, my theory is that the shimmering/strobing pixels are caused by a mismatch in the pixel display (either render scale, redraw rate, or similar - I am a software developer but don’t really have much to do with 3D stuff😁) between the near and far scenery. I believe that this only occurs under certain conditions and ALTERING (not necessarily increasing) the render scale is one thing that changes that condition. The LOD setting may also change the conditions enough that the problem is not seen.

I have played about with my settings but cannot produce the effect - which would tend to point towards me being wrong - but it might be that hitting the settings that produce the effect is harder than disrupting the effect by small changes.

Can people that are experiencing the shimmering, experiment with a few changes (small and large, increase and decrease) to their render scale and LODs - it shouldn’t take too many experiments prove this wrong, but it may just work, and help you or someone else.

In that case, you wanna send me that 11900K (along with the motherboard of course)? It may not help my sim all that much, but it will help me snap, record, and stream better without killing the sims performance. I really didn’t consider those factors when I decided to buy a 10600K, if I had, I would have gotten the i7 version instead, but since you’re sitting on that 11900K that you don’t need anymore

Also, @CptLucky8 has managed to make the shimmering appear by altering some settings, which means by not using those same settings, it may be possible to make it disappear, too. But he’ll have to drop by to explain the details, I don’t have shimmering, I don’t want shimmering, so I am not about to see if I can make it start by playing with any settings.

Kev

2 Likes

Ah, c’mon! :sweat_smile:

@KevyKevTPA
I really don’t know what changed but for sure, between my last Index post and my most recent G2 posts, I can’t get rid of the shimmering on building edges. May I ask you to PM me the copy of your UseCfg.opt file so that I can diff ? Thanks!

But of course. Just PM me your email addy pls

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

Something does seem a bit weird with the usercfg and the way the renderscale interacts with external supersampling seems different since SU5, on my Q2 at least. Eagerly awaiting CptLucky’s analysis :smiley: