SU5 graphics quality

When is the last time you have fired up the sim and checked it for yourself?

1 Like

Something you said in this post triggered meā€¦ First, Iā€™m going to assume youā€™re using an Nvidia GPU. If not you have my sympathies. But if so, hereā€™s a few questionsā€¦

What driver are you running?

Have you updated it anytime (that you know of) in say the past 2-3 weeks?

Have you double checked your Nvidia Control Panel settings, as well as your in-sim settings to see if perhaps a driver update decided to change all of that stuff for you? Itā€™s happened to me, and until I figured out that little tidbit, I, too was having graphics issues.

Iā€™m running the studio driver, version 471.68, and here are my settings if you want to compare. @CptLucky8 this may be of interest to you, too.

Settings 1
Settings 2
Settings 3

In sim, Iā€™m Ultra+, meaning all ultra, plus Iā€™ve gone above ultra to 8x8 on the supersampling. No idea what framerates Iā€™m getting aside from ā€œenough that everything, including some heavy duty scenery areas, is smoothā€. The same statement is true for my VR performance, though VR by itā€™s very nature, at least here in good old 2021, is not as clear as a flat panel display.

Iā€™m running an i5-10600K paired with an EVGA 2070 Super, with a dash of 64GB of RAM.

And hereā€™s just one example of the kind of visuals Iā€™m getting in 2D post-su5. Iā€™ve got more if you would like, but seeing my pictures wonā€™t help you. Checking your settings against mine and possibly making some changes might.

Thatā€™s it for now.

1 Like

Thatā€™s quittinā€™ talk! :grin:

My G2 is just as clear as my 4K screen - and although I canā€™t push the render scale above 120 and LODs are now on 6(00), the draw distances are not too far off, either.

I just got home from band practice so Iā€™ll check everything now. I am running nVidia of course and as for the driver, as a matter of fact, I updated it today. I had NOT updated it in several months as I have been beyond busy at work, moving, etcā€¦ So had not even noticed that after my last computer reset (In March I had major software issues as well as lost my system SSD and reinstalled windows 5 times in 3 weeks!!!) somehow after updating the graphics drivers and such my nVidia Geforce experience console got deleted. With all these issues I thought Iā€™d check on a new driver and realized it was gone. Installed it and updated. That was 2 days ago. Today there was yet ANOTHER driver update. I run the game ready drivers and mine is now 471.96 released on 31 August.

I have all the same settings as you show. I had 1 that was different so I changed it to match yours.
My system is i7-8700K CPU OCā€™d to 5.1Gz. 32GB ram. GPU is Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro 6G w/6GB GDDR6 192bit memory. I have NOT overclocked the card yet. Figured I would get my moneyā€™s worth out of it before OCing it and possibly screwing it upā€¦ LOL (I know itā€™s built to OC and millions of people do it every dayā€¦but I also know personally a few people that OCā€™d their cards and toasted themā€¦ and I am a chicken with that kind of money!!! LOL)

Maybe I should hook this up to my 4k TVā€¦would be a bit of a PITA to move the tv (65") into this room but I could do it. I am currently running an older AOC monitor at 1920x1080 which is the native and max resā€¦ Have not jumped to a 4k monitor yet though saving up for a couple of them. as I always run dual monitors.

I also run ULTRA on everything and also 8x8 on supersampling. My shadows settings are both at 2048 which is what nvidia optimizer set them at.

Going to do a flight now and see what Iā€™m looking at. The screwed-up trees are really annoying now. LOL Just saw this when flying in my home town.

And I know these 2 have nothing to do with the ā€˜low graphicsā€™ issues we have been talking aboutā€¦but they are new issues post SU5 and make for a very NOT fun environment to fly inā€¦

The airport is KCVG.

Lighting model of clouds seems to me being simplified, like GI pass was turned off, so clouds have no(less?) bounced colors of sky and surface, but only sun, diffuse light grey, selfdecay-dark-gray and skycolor fogging with distance. Not sure, only screenshots watched.

1 Like

Okā€¦snapped a ā– ā– ā– ā–  ton of shots in, above, and under clouds. There is like NO definition to my clouds anymore. No jaggies at all like the nice shot above (if I can get pics like this why canā€™t you). I used to see clouds like that. Not any more. Just cartoonish fluff that are/become VERY pixelated. I will post the shots on one of my websites and post a link here ASAP. I simply have to cut out the second screen from the shots so they are JUST what I saw in the sim.

Greg

Okā€¦set up some pics. Open them in new tab to see them full size and defā€¦

http://www.flyingmasterchef.com/fspics.html

From what I have seen and read itā€™s at many airports. I believe I saw someone post that JFK airport in NY also has missing walls in some locations.

Greg

From render scale 80 to 200 i dont see any difference. Just the low frames and slutters at high render scale
I have a nvidia 2080ti and i9 10900 k with 1 T SSD and 32 gb of ram

Miguel

Just checked in at KCVG:

Wowowow cowboyā€¦ come down and maybe just stop being that narrow minded and selfish first.
There is no need for hatred towards an in your perspective ā€œelitarian PC communityā€ since they have a very valid point.
You are not the only one playing this Sim. There are plenty of others that maybe are not studying anymore, but having a well paying job and CAN afford a highend PC (which was btw required at the release of this game in order to play high/ultra settings). This investment for them might even just be one part of a whole simulator environment they built for this sim to increase the immersion (like multi monitoring, authentic peripherals, etc.)
This can easily get even more expensive then and at the end itā€™s a hobby and noone should be judged for about how much he wants to invest there.

IMO the best solution for EVERYONE (meaning XBOX and PC users) would be to have ultra settings set to the maximum of graphics quality that this engine can provide (like prior to SU5). This might then be exclusively for enthusiasts with highend rigs, so they then donā€™t have to deal with compromises anymore.
Then just define the current SU5 downgraded quality as ā€œHighā€ and use it for players with XBOX equivalent hardware, as well as medium and low for people with less powerful rigs.

So everyone would be happy and the world peace in MSFS2020 might be restored again :wink:

3 Likes

Yes, I have spent well over 3000$ on the GCs, VR headsets, processor, motherboard, NVMe and memory just for this game. And am more than happy with what it can deliver, as you maybe can see from the screenshots I have sent. I wonder if that quality is still not what ULTRA was before for some, possibly, but sometimes I really do wonder where the downgrades are. The main issue people had when the SU5 came out were the pop-ins and LOD. LOD has already been relaxed and next week we should have (according to already communicated release notes) the fix for pop-ins. Lately people are unfortunately reporting every graphical glitch and bug as a downgrade due to SU5.

Did you notice that the other terminal is missing the walls and ceiling? Thatā€™s the one I popped into. :slight_smile: You can see it if you look carefully at your pic. This terminal you are at is missing jetways.

2 Likes

For me its mostly melted objects in near field (LOD) like in London city. Also Clouds are ugly and grainy as hell now. They were almost photorealistic before SU5.
The rest is almost fixed i guessā€¦ maybe i missed mentioning volumetric light at night

Thank you buddy for these words! Couldnā€™t find more proper ways myself to describe my feelings and thoughts about this update and its effects on my view of this game.

1 Like

This is my mind with my own personal principles speaking here, and just sharing an opinion on it.

No one should be judged on their choices, people should judge them self :wink: .The thing is that a lot of people are blaming someone else for their own choices. Itā€™s a choice to spend a specific amount of money. Itā€™s a choice to have the max of the max of the max. It does not matter if someone needed to save money for 6 months, or is able to buy instantly. Itā€™s all still people their own choice.

I understand why people are doing it, what i donā€™t understand is shifting the blame of money spend. Itā€™s their own money, under their own control.

Again, the above is based on my own principles.

There are always possibilities that optimizations lead to certain bugs, but i have to agree there is a lot shared. I think when the LOD,treeā€™s etcā€¦ have been identified, a lot are spending time on what could be found more and suddenly are finding things that have been there all the time but just recently got noticed because of looking different to it.

Iā€™m not talking about the color output (purple/green banding) or what @FlyingMastrChef is now saying with missing textures:

Yesterday seen it for the first time.

After my current flight for example iā€™m will try to find out why, on a RTX 2060, the clouds look different for @FlyingMastrChef as they do for me as iā€™m also an owner of a rtx2060.
Also need to take into account pixel density on a monitor together with resolution, color depth reported by a monitor which will adjust a driver (for example causing banding), gamma correction, antialiasing sampling, etcā€¦ etcā€¦

This i now how the clouds currently look during my current flight (i hope the image will be of enough quality) :

Too be honest, iā€™m happy with it as the sun is direct above me, so, there are not a lot of details, which i personally also expect. There is also a lot of haze.

Edit:
Moved from ultra to high:

You are right that it should not be the money argument, because that is your own responsibility.
I think (and i include myself here) most of these emotionally led discussions are based on the fact, that we (or at least the players that used Ultra settings since the beginning) were able to get a glimpse of what is possible in terms of quality of graphics and now we have to deal with less than that.

Btw thanks for your efforts, but these pictures of clouds are exactly the reason people are complaining. they are not merely looking as immersive and astonishing anymore as before. More like agglomerated flakes of dust :slight_smile:

I saved a pic of jawbreaking clouds and lightning from last octobre:

This is what i would call photorealistic. Not these blurry mud-greyish sad formations of H2O like now :wink:

PS:
Found some other examples from last year in google that might also be a proof of what was possible before SU5:

(Sorry for the watermark at the last one, just wanted to find pics that show what we mean when talking about degradation of clouds in comparison to before)

8 Likes

Cheers!

Awesome picture (still showing artifacts though, maybe of the compression?).

I think what happened is they #$%#$ up the coloring, i notice a much wider gamut being put out. But again, iā€™m on SD. So a possibility is there that because of this the color ā€œreplacementā€ of going from HDR to SDR is causing a lot of artifacts which affects a load of things like tone mapping, creating color banding, etcā€¦ etcā€¦ etcā€¦

When a specific color is not within the SD range, but is in HD, the conversion needs to come up with a color that resembles it. When there is no an enough close neighbour found it is causing banding.

Also, i must say that the image i posted, does not resemble how it looks on my monitor. I did color adjustments, if you have nvidia control panel, play with the ā€œAdjust color settingsā€, especially the gamma and contrast output.

After installing the new nvidia driver version, these got reset for me. The changes i did, with reducing gamma etcā€¦ kind of resembles a HDR to SDR conversion.

Edit, that last picture is quite grainy, almost the same as other posts after su5, but the coloring is much better then it is now, if one would adjust the coloring, it will become more grainyer.

Edit: Watermark is ok :wink:

1 Like

Yes i guess there have been made several changes, from colors, to volumetric lightning to the resolution of the voxels used there and so onā€¦ its not just one component i guess.

I just hope ASOBO takes the complaints of the community serious and tries to at least recover some bits of the immersive brilliance. Also i hope Raytracing might shed some new ā€œlightā€ on this topic :slight_smile:

Btw on my RTX3070 the performance impact is almost the same to the cloud rendering compared to before SU5. So this i guess was not the reason for the change.

Edit: Regarding the compression artifacts of the first picture, it was my badā€¦ I used the one that i send a friend via whatsapp, which always compresses pictures to a huge degree.
I reuploaded the original one from my PC, without any artifacts and in bigger resolution.

3 Likes

I hope they could fix the HDR implementation. Seeing some analysis which indicate their peak values for brightness are way too high to handle. Thatā€™s why in HDR everything looks washed out and too bright

1 Like