SU5 graphics quality

I don’t think I can be very helpful here, except for one thing, that may- but probably will not- prove helpful.

One thing I have been wondering this entire time is if, perhaps, I was experiencing “shimmering” without even realizing what it was I was looking at. I can now definitively say after having viewed your very short clips that if that is what “shimmering” looks like, then I am not suffering from it.

Kev

I can confirm strange things happening at some airports, but I don’t know if it has anything to do with an update… this was the first time I visited the place. Scenery errors look similar to the ones you found.

Yesterday I saw below Harry Potter scenery on a Venezuelan island in the Caraibean, actually it looks like some vertical wands and ceilings are missing here, too ! Only ridges and decoration are visible, the rest is gone (or inside-out culled back surfaces ? I forgot to check that !)

1 Like

I’ve forgotten to add:

It looks like the game camera is not 100% still when paused.

I need to re-check if that really is the case. When i was checking the vector data and made multiple screenshots, i was initially thinking it did something (setting ultra or none). But after additional checking, the plane appeared a bit displaced, like one or two pixels. The ground however, up to 10 to 15 pixels.

So, or the camera is not steady, or that was because if scene rebuild.

After looking at your footage again, you can also see the trees acting, and all other kind of objects “misbehaving”. This would imply the camera is not 100% steady. Hence the repeating pattern, it’s almost circular?

But i need to check to confirm this.

Have you tried to turn on the antialiasing gamma correction and msaa in the nvidia control panel? Probably you need to override the application settings. I know its a performance hit, but it could maybe explain asobo’s taa is not suitable for vr. But only if that helps.

Just my two unhelpful, wet finger work, two cents.

Not a big deal at all but in one instance you misunderstood what I was saying about you being happy with my ■■■■■■ graphics…but that’s ok…as I read it again (my post) I see easily where it could be taken two ways… so that’s on me. My CAPS are just my way of emphasizing that point or word. I could use the BOLD but I like caps better. I do NOT use them to yell at people…so please don’t take any of my caps as yelling. That’s not at all how I use them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok cheers, no probs :+1:, i’m a bold one in that case.

Yeah… the happy part sounded… read weird, i think.

This was interesting, I just spawned at KCVG three times in a row, the first time the terminal was complete, the latter two times it was missing walls and roof.

Are you spawning in different terminals? And just curious, are you coming in correctly parked? I am about to try there again and will check various parking spots to see if I come close. From what I have seen by zooming in to OTHER major airports around the world the KCVG spots are just off. Other airports, when you zoom in on the map, the spots line up with actual gates at terminals. At KCVG they do not. Not even close. At least, as you saw on my picture, not on my sim anyway. I am sure there must be others as well. Surely my local fav airport can’t be the only one screwed up. Heck, I’d fix it if I knew how in FS2020. Piece of cake for me to do in FSX, 2004, and P3D as I use ScruffyDuck’s great software (ADE). I can build airports, sids, stars, approaches, etc… I can’t wait until he has one made for 2020 so I can start editing airports again!!! I actually enjoy that as much as flying!!! :slight_smile:

This is funny, I just spawned there again, always at the same gate. And now the roofs and walls are all there… I am confused… but you see the other plane on the left, clearly the position is not right. This airport has issues.

1 Like

For all those saying there is NOT difference in graphics quality since SU5. Just so you know, it’s been PROVEN that there is. They took our ULTRA graphics and made most of them MEDIUM. Yes, I know this says ‘behind you’ but it does prove the point. They changed the PC graphics settings because of the Xbox release. Note, the Xbox won’t be able to set their settings to ULTRA. They don’t get that option like we will… So, apology accepted!

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t think anyone was denying the culling/pop-ins issue, and the team did announce very soon after it was brought up that they are working on this slider. This is just more detailed info on what it will be. But… doesn’t this rather prove the point that they actually can separate the settings for PC and XBOX? They made performance optimizations for everyone, not just XBOX, it just went too far for high-end PC users.

1 Like

I’m not saying people were denying that. My point is that if they are adding a slider to give Ultra graphics back to the PC side, then they obviously removed the ULTRA graphic ability from the PC. People keep swearing they didn’t change the graphics clarity/contrast/definition/etc… I, and many others, said it was obvious to us that they did. They can’t give us back something if they didn’t remove it to start with. And I’m not buying they only removed it from stuff behind us. But either way, it proves they lowered the pc quality. And since they are not giving it back to pc AND Xbox…they must have lowered it FOR the Xbox. Makes perfect sense.

6 Likes

Ok…so just popped into KCVG. Terminal A only but 3 places. Here are the results, including one bonus showing (again) how all the parking spaces (at least on MY map) are incorrect. They are all offset to the north and west. (Where I typed west on the picture, I meant east.

Also, please note how pathetic the reflections look on the wet ground. Before SU5, these were always like a mirror on the wet pavement. These are all blurry. Same in the windows. UGH!

But I already agreed with you that the airport has issues, not arguing against that. Regarding the rain however, here is what I see:

Not quite sure what you expect with this heavy rain, but to me that looks pretty realistic.

I never said I was arguing with you about the airport having issues. I was simply ALSO sharing what I was seeing. That’s all. :slight_smile: I’d love to see a pic of your world map zoomed in to see if your parking spots are screwed up like mine are on the world map. I don’t see this issue on any other major airport I look at. I’m sure their must be but I have not found them yet.

They are, very much so, exactly the same as in your pic. But I really don’t think it has anything to do with SU5 or Xbox. It’s just that this airport is autogen and it has issues because of that.

1 Like

I’m not claiming the parking has anything to do with SU5…I’m with you on that one. It’s interesting that you spawn in correctly and I always spawn into certain spots wrongly. LOL Everytime I hit 62 it’s way off. Slightly off always on 61. And 57 is always right. But I see the autogen planes spawn the same as I do in those spots. Wrong.

Yes, it is. Maybe you can raise a bug report on this airport, so the team would at some point correct the issues? I have not seen the same spawning issue at any airports I have flown from since the launch, but I am pretty sure this isn’t the only one, such is the nature of autogen.

1 Like

Forgive me if this question seems stupid, but do you mean post it somewhere here on the forums or drop a ticket to support?

I mean in the bug section of the forums, for the incorrect placing of the planes at the gates (and missing gates as you mentioned it), the missing roofs and walls issue has already been reported and is logged as a bug with the team.

1 Like