SU5 graphics quality

I believe for most of us, what most expected from tomorrow’s World Update is not the scenery but all the mess to be fixed

I am mostly expecting the slider that allows us to control the area that is cached around the plane. They have said it will be 360, so the the biggest gripe people had after SU5, the pop-ins, should get fixed fixed with it. There will be some more CTD fixes as well.

2 Likes

Was the ATC correction also to be included in the WU? (or am i too lazy now)

Ah, yes! I hope they really fix it this time :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Cheers, thanks. And i think the answer to the second part is also a yes :blush:

There are obviously many variables, but I think the main, controllable ones are graphical settings (LODs, AA, etc), screen resolution, render scale, and other traffic (multiplayer, live and AI). The higher these are set, the higher the memory use.

The other major factor (in my experience) is location - more specifically, the number and complexity of the objects that need to be loaded.

Airports are a good demonstration of this, with larger, highly detailed, hand crafted airports that are busy with traffic, using far more memory than cruising over the ocean at FL380 with no traffic for miles.

1 Like

You can already increase your draw distance, very simply, within the UserCfg.opt file - however. hopefully WU6 will make this even easier by extending the range of the LOD sliders.

1 Like

After a search I now found the below topic saying similar (now locked due to just over 1 month) - Maybe I will make a wishlist on it so the devs see it, it might be a 2 minute job for them to tweak this and get an improvement all over the world

Running mine at 6.0 now. Looks amazing.

1 Like

It is supposed to give us an option/slider to give us better draw distance. But we will have to see. As if late, Asobo can’t be trusted to much with what they say.

This is preposterous. If they “knew” then rather than releasing hot-fixes, it would have just been in the code when released. A hot-fix, by it’s very nature, is an emergency fix for an “Oopsie” that went out the door that shouldn’t have. You make it sound as if they were pre-prepared, and MS just held them out of the patch to mess with us.

1 Like

OK This is my information as to memory usage.
Render Scaling = 2560X1440 @ 100%
Task Manager FlightSimulator Memory usage @ 5,459,380KB or 5.5 GB
Task Manager GPU usage 4.7 GB

Here is the results using render scaling @ 200%

![Desktop 2021-09-06 3-28-07 PM-846|575x500]

Now for those that believe you are using more memory @ these settings please show me your screen shots.

That’s exactly what I and some others are saying. You nailed it. Just use your logic (something I find people don’t use anymore) for a moment and you’ll understand.

MS told them they MUST release the software on X date. It wasn’t a choice. It was mandatory with no delay possible. That’s a known fact. That date was never going to pass by without the Xbox version being released. Period. Again, well known fact and you can wish it were not the case, but it IS the case.

Thus, if there were bugs in the software that couldn’t be fixed on time, there was nothing Asobo could do about it. Again, the deadline was hard date!!! No way to get past that. So absolutely 100% they had the hotfixes ready to go just a couple days later because they already knew what the bugs were. I am sure people were already working on those fixes but had no time to get it into the code before the deadline. Remember, that deadline didn’t mean they could code up until 1pm and release at 1:15pm. The code FOR the release had to be set in stone at least a day or two ahead of time. Most software companies stop programming a week before to give time for final testing of the final product.

Welcome to reality. These are not just speculations made without knowing how these things work. I’ve done this stuff for over 30 years and have worked with and for software companies as a software programmer as well as a code tester and documentation author. Companies often have to release (when a hard date has been set) with minor bugs that they know about. They have fixes in the pipeline and ready to go very soon afterwards. SOME companies will be upfront about it and when the core program is released will release notice of KNOWN issues and that a fix will come quickly. This is simply how it works.

MS does it all the time with software they release. Including games!!! They, however, almost NEVER release the info that there are issues and they know about them and are fixing them. I’ve been part of 2 releases where they did NOT release that info but rather fixed the issues within a week of release. I’ve seen them put out a notice of issues ONCE with a software release. Again, bugs fixed in a week to 2 weeks after the initial release.

So the preposterous thing you speak about… You just had it wrong on who was being preposterous. That would be Microsoft for forcing the hard no way around it deadline on Asobo when Asobo knew they had issues with the code!!!

4 Likes

Everyone does it and it’s common, even with bugs/unfinished business you don’t see.

But, we do not know how long it took to create the hotfix, we do not know the build time of the software, we also do not know if these fixes have already been in the pipeline or not. And that’s the reality.

We can all speculate, but unless someone who knows tells it, everyone is wrong.

3 Likes

You have asked for - and received - screenshots many times from many different people. They always show your point to be a complete fallacy. People also take the time to explain to you WHY you are wrong. Most of the time you completely ignore them, or you just grumble a bit and disappear - only to return again to do EXACTLY the same thing a day or so later.

You complain of ‘50% reduction’ in graphical quality and various other hyperbole. Yet, when you finally posted a video, the only real issue you had was a shimmer at distance - which you were then shown how to rectify!

Your only issue has been resolved, and your system (at those settings) does not NEED to use more memory - this gives you some overhead to turn your settings up higher (I would start with LOD in the UserCfg.opt file - though hopefully it will be possible to set this higher in game after tomorrow) and have BETTER graphics than you ever had before.

4 Likes

Static images are completely useless for evaluating quality. I can show you a freeze frame that looks wonderful. But this is not a photograph, it’s a flight simulator.

1 Like

Don’t even try this guy lives to argue .
Takes other peoples statements and makes them his own.
I don’t ever understand why I answer a delusional person like this. He rants every time I post.

1 Like

No, not really, only when the song is set to repeat :wink:

2 Likes

Okay, here is the video I posted a short while later:

1 Like

Not interested in people like you. Thanks anyway.

1 Like