SU5 graphics quality

Spoiler: that “solution” doesn’t work. At least not for people who actually have the problem. I can run it at 200% and it still shimmers (disregarding the FPS, which obviously becomes unplayable)

1 Like

Agreed, tried it and it didn’t work. Found other things that did though, for me.

Can you link which post had these settings,

These are my old clouds,

and these my current ones,

I really want my old graphics back

2 Likes

I can understand that! This is where I started, it made a world of difference.

Thanks, will give it a shot.

Here’s the thing though.

Weather changes. And today’s weather may feature clouds that are distinctly different than tomorrow’s, and I’m talking about real life. Well, real life and the sim. Your pictures reflect how reality is. My current experience is that I see clouds that look like your first picture, and clouds that look like your second, based (I’m assuming) on the underlying METAR data that MSFS uses to generate real weather. That’s realistic.

That causes me to wonder if, rather than the sim itself being “broken”, which is the unspoken accusation your post made, it is instead your expectations that are in need of adjustment.

:man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I just had a very similar conversation. I showed the guy a picture. He pointed out how the trees look all wrong. Too big. Too fuzzy looking. The shoreline looks completely unrealistic and the sky is way too bright. The sim looked way better before.

Then I told him it was a picture taken out of my real life Baron on a flight up the inside passage on BCs west coast. He admitted he had never actually seen out the window of anything but an airliner and was surprised how different it looked from what he imagined.

8 Likes

I know, right?? I mean the textures in this screenshot are horrible, the sim is broken and the graphics have been so degraded!!! Just look at how blurry they are!

Sooooo jelly. You’ve gotta come to Tampar and give me a ride, it’ll be a good test to see if I have enough control of my legs to be safe and legal.

2 Likes

And the clouds are terrible

3 Likes

The mesh is great though!! Probably no morphing!! Such intense morphing at close distance is so underwhelming after SU5…

1 Like

But look how blurry it gets. Can’t make out individual trees at a distance. Must be a LOD reduction.

1 Like

Well, these are my clouds as of last night. So it’s not all ruin.

2 Likes

Looks excellent but pixelated at the edges. Maybe they were always like that. It’s difficult, with all the talk of graphics downgrades, maybe if Asobo were just to come clean and be totally honest with what they’ve done whether things have been downgraded or not (the LOD distances for example absolute have), the speculation would go away and people (myself included) would get back to enjoying the sim, that is all I certainly want to do anyway, I have no agenda, I just love flight sims always have (verging on addiction), and want the best experience possible. It’s very easy for your brain to influence your eyes when you are thinking about these updates. I just remember being totally in awe of the graphics when the sim came out, and I just simply don’t get that anymore.

3 Likes

It is a bit pixelated. I don’t think that’s going away until DX12 but I’m not certain. Seems to be a symptom of the same thing that causes the pixelated speckly shadows on some surfaces. The cloud visuals are strongly dependent on the overall thickness of the layers, and it takes some fiddling at times to achieve the nice “lumpy” look such as what I posted. The Live Weather in my experience has usually been pretty nice looking. Using the sliders takes more work to get there. If the layer is only a couple thousand feet thick, it can look pretty ■■■■■■■■.

Cheers, glad to be of a bit of a help!

If it’s about the settings i have posted, you are right. It is just a post which could help others.

In which parts have it been helpful?

Too be honest in my experience, i have always seen pixelated edges appearing once in a while. For me that has not affected experience.

Maybe it’s some “getting used to” in play? I know I was in awe when i first was able to play on high settings. And no, i’m not in awe anymore, but do still think the sim is for me an amazing visual experience.

One of the updates had a note about reduced live weather bandwidth. Might have something to do with the flat clouds.

Some more downgrades (ultra textures):

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

8 Likes

LOD is horrible, what did they do to it again?

Wow nice find! Not really important for a flight simulator but it clearly shows they downgraded the graphics overall.

4 Likes

Cherokee driver here. The Baron is literally my favorite airplane in the world. Jealous!!!

My first Baron… (representative, I think the only pictures I have of it are in an actual “Photo Album”)
The new ride…

2 Likes