SU5 graphics quality

I think they talked about increasing the sliders further, so that graphical fidelity increases, but I think it was mostly for terrain quality and tree draw distance. Blocky pixelated clouds I didnt hear anything about.

I have to ask why don’t I get blocky pixelated clouds? could it be because I have texture, supersampling etc. all on ultra?

I don’t get the pixelated ones, but if you zoom in I can make out those grainy ones. I guess you could consider that pattern on them pixelated, but they aren’t blocky, and this effect is practically invisible at normal zoom, and never seems to appear on nearby clouds, only those in the far distance.

Please share a video showing this, not from a distance but up close as you fly through them.

Example:

I’d be quite happy to do the same if it helps. I’ll try to spot those grainy ones in the distance I was referring to also.

Take a look at the pixilated clouds in this video.
My setup is an Alienware Area 51 laptop with a RTX 2080 Nvidia card.

That’s a 50+ minute video. You might want to timestamp that to where the issue occurs. Maybe screenshot it even.

1 Like

This was originally a smooth 57- 60 fps, don’t ask me why gamebar / yt makes it so jerky

3 Likes

Thanks, video quality is not the best but it confirms you have the same blocky pixelated clouds.

Nice vid, may I ask what you use for recording?

You do realise MSFS is a sim and not a video player?

Even from quite far away you can see the low resolution in the clouds here. It simply wasn’t like this before SU5

This is not zoomed in at all. ULTRA settings.

1 Like

Where’s the comparison pic?

1 Like

I don’t have a one of the exact same conditions, but I, and many, many others notice the difference without a comparison pic, I simply did not have those low resolution clouds before hand. It looks more like medium than ultra.

Exactly
 These clouds before SU5 were fluffy like cotton candy. Now they look like they were somehow remade in voxelspace. Hard to describe, you can now just easily see the low res layers and its missing in volume.

I think the best way to see pixelated clouds is when a lightning strike
 well, strikes.
They become horribly blocky for a few seconds.

1 Like

“Fluffiness” has lot to do where the sun comes from:

2 Likes

Except when it was. Afraid cloud rendering for me is much better now than pre-SU5 (and more dynamic too).

Am no expert but are there not many more variables in play than simply the update

1 Like

I recorded a view of some clouds. There were a couple of places where I spied that kind of speckling on the clouds in the distance. After recording I noticed my recoding quality was down at 50Mbps. I normally record at 90Mbps. but hopefully this is okay.

Processing now.

Upped to 90MBps.

3 Likes

I can’t speak for your experiences, settings or hardware, but there was no shortage of people complaining about the clouds before SU5. Some of those same people are still complaining about them, only now they are blaming SU5
:confused:

2 Likes