Sim Update 7 Live Weather regression - a broken mess

I got this reply:

"Thank you for your message. I’ve seen this morning that the team is aware of the issue.

The new weather system with METAR being merged with our Meteoblue system might be the reason. I will have more information today."

So seems they are aware of an issue.

2 Likes

for me neither the weather nor the time setting work correctly
The time can only be set in the menu of the globe, later when you are sitting in the plane you can no longer correct the time
The same with weather, in the menu of the globe you can still select everything but later when you sit in the plane nothing works, neither the preset weather scenarios nor the live weather, unreal weather or Rex Wetter Force functions, nothing, no weather loads

2 Likes

If neither live weather nor presets are working, please check, if you have “unreal weather live metar” in your addon folder. It’s not compatible with SU7 and must be deactivated!
I had this issue and after removing the addon and restarting, live weather was working.

1 Like

Just did an approach into EKRN, METAR data and winds were spot on . Had 53 kts in 2000 ft. and doubted it, but it is exactly as depicted on Windy.com, and 24 kts on the ground were exactly as reported by METAR. But clouds were off as there was scattered clouds down to 1000 ft. where there should have been few with an overcast layer in 1800 ft. Looks like the weathermodel data outside the METAR area are screwed.

I am sitting at MMMX since I am testing a new scenery and blue sky. Suppose to be OVC at 2000 but now I see the sky getting cloudy and clouds filling the sky? So far 3/4 of the sky is clear the other 1/4 trying to be overcast? lol. Clouds move so fast that it is clear sky again…

I think that the issue causing these discrepancies, is how Asobo is displaying the clouds in relation to the METAR. It would appear that Asobo is rendering the clouds from METARs in heights above sea level (MSL), rather than height above ground level (AGL).

See my topic on it here, and please vote so it gets fixed ASAP:
Are cloud bases in new METAR system in AGL or MSL? - Bugs & Issues / Online Services & Activities - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

4 Likes

Bizarre… Broken at 700ft and 9999 visibility is modeled as ILS CAT III condition… Airport 2600ft MSL
Please Asobo, just revert to the previous weather system… Hope we don’t need to wait until Feb 22

FlightSimulator_2021.11.19-12.33

Sem título

edit: less than 10min after the first screenshot and still the same METAR… unbelievable

FlightSimulator_2021.11.19-12.43

4 Likes

If you look at my post right above yours, it appears they are using MSL heights to display the cloud layers, rather than AGL. Therefore, with an airport elevation of 2600’ MSL, you would be in the heart of a thick overcast layer being reported at 1500’ MSL. It’s not how it should be, but that is how Asobo appears to have done it. Please vote on the topic Iinked above to get this fixed, as it appears to be the issue.

3 Likes

Really amazes me how they can get something so basic, so wrong. Will vote your topic.

8 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Such a basic thing to screw up, but that one little detail has a huge negative affect on realism.

7 Likes

Yes it absolutely does. Now you mention it when I flew from Bristol yesterday which has an elevation of around 700ft and it was meant to be overcast at 300ft but I was literally in the thick of the cloud, I thought something seemed off and wondered this myself as well. Good spot.

1 Like

Is there any official acknowledgement of this by the devs? I’ve messaged privately a mod on here who has said they are aware of the issues with live weather but can’t say I’ve seen anything official?

2 Likes

I haven’t seen anything official, no. Seems to me they were thinking it may be a server issue at first, but rather, it just appears to be a disconnect in altitude type read off of the metars. I did submit a support ticket. But, I still have support tickets from a year ago that say ‘solved’ but that aren’t actually solved.

1 Like

Ahh okay. Well I’ve PM’d that mod again to ask if he has any update, I’ll let you know here if he gets back to me.

Even just an official word of ‘yes we’re fixing it’ would be nice

3 Likes

The Lugano example I highlighted in my post, would explain why people would think it is a server issue. To the casual observer, it appeared to be clear skies. When METAR says overcast, everyone would simply think the servers aren’t injecting weather. It was injecting it alright, just below ground :joy:

3 Likes

Sounds good, thanks

1 Like

Yeah that would make sense, but how on earth does something like that slip through testing?

3 Likes

Beats me. No clue

1 Like

Linked your thread into the first post also

1 Like

No wonder I have clear skies in Mexico City…It was overcast at 2000 . The clouds are underground so it makes sense.

5 Likes