Suddenly experiencing a new type of CTD

Hello everyone

Today in the afternoon, I completed another flight in MSFS without any problems. Then I shut my PC down and did something else. Now I wanted to do another flight so I started my PC again and tried to start the sim. But suddently I get a CTD shortly after the game starts. There hasn’t been any Windows update or anything so I have absolutely no clue what the reason is.

The exception code is c0000005, this is a pretty common one and nothing special.
The exception module is “AudioDevProps2.dll” and this makes me wonder where the error comes from. It obviously seems to be something sound related but as I said, I didn’t change anything. Another reboot and starting the sim as admin also didn’t help.

Here’s the whole report again (it’s in german though):

Beschreibung
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe

Problemsignatur
Problemereignisame: MoAppCrash
Vollständiger Paketname: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.18.14.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Anwendungsname: praid:App
Anwendungsversion: 0.0.0.0
Anwendungszeitstempel: 00000000
Fehlermodulname: AudioDevProps2.dll
Fehlermodulversion: 2.6.4.0
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 60b0a9e5
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 000000000001ba66
Betriebsystemversion: 10.0.22000.2.0.0.768.101
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: b9a0
Zusatzinformation 2: b9a0a08b4579bbaa181b6b0851ec6d2e
Zusatzinformation 3: a3fc
Zusatzinformation 4: a3fc9a483598da8f3ec5a0be8645997b

Weitere Informationen über das Problem
Bucket-ID: 028a03de466063b9ee96f2d6f56a3f55 (2204216072698740565)

This solution worked for me : turn off all firewalls in your internet security program(s) . Then run MSFS .

2 Likes

I had zero issues with CDTs until yesterday. I played for about four hours (PC), took a break, and tried to log back in and now I cannot get past the loading screen for a flight. I’ve tried every fix found in the forums, clean install, etc. and still no change.

Stumped…

Will try that, thx!

e.g.

• deinstall tools like Asus Sonic Suite / Radar
  • disable Nahimic service ( windows services )
1 Like

Another example of a spontaneous change in which an individual installation fails.

I wish something similar, but in reverse, would happen to my PC. I’ve been seeing CTDs since January and now it’s literally unplayable as from SU5.

and have may be the cause not in the game itself :wink:

Uninstalling the Sonic stuff was the solution, thank you so much! :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah. Especially when one turns off their PC when not playing, then turn it back on later in the day to play some more, etc. As if the PC is a console.
So much improper use of PC hardware, so many cases of horribly maintained systems it’s shocking.

Listen up folks. Whenever you turn off your PC - you cut the life of it by a tiiiiiiiiiiiny tiny margin. Any eventual issues, corruptions or instabilities you might have, they will manifest after powering down the PC then turning it on again at some point. What you should be doing is going to the start menu, power, and then hibernate or sleep the PC.
Not turn off/shut down.

PC is just not something you wanna shut down and power up lik a console. Not if you ask for the stability.
I power cycle my machines once in a month, otherwise when I sleep, they are in deep sleep as well. I wake up and enter my work and play area, the proximity sensors wake up my hardware, etc.

not exact correct for windows 10 :wink: … in case you have quick start enabled, a lot of stuff is cached. It is just not same as restart.

The useless hibernation stuff is completly disabled at my PC. In ages of SSDs / NVMe’s and pc start times of 5 seconds it makes no longer sense for me to use these feature, which cause also a lot of issues because users assume each application can be hibernates without any kind of issues.

Thus… no recommendation to use hibernation ( and also disable quick start ). Also in case that we are a bit out-of-topic, I guess.

And yes, that is smart, the Realtek audio drivers with that ALC1200 audio chip is so badly maintained by the manufacturer, the drivers scream “I need maintenance😱”. And they also shovel that Sonic Suite bloatware to everyone as if we cannot live without it - then users suffer a bunch of issues.
It’s got some cool features, but not everyone needs them.

Why is the hibernation useless ? Can you elaborate shortly ?
Also, there is Sleep instead for anyone who doesn’t want the hibernation active.

This doesn’t have anything to do with Windows 10 or Widows 7, this power down stuff I’m talking about has to do with the machine being shut down very often. That’s not a healthy practice. And it’s even worse if the system is poorly maintained.

Yeah in the age of NVMe solid state whatever, but not everyone has it yet.
Also even then, powering down/powering up the machine like a console is just not a healthy practice.

it was former mainly used to improve the PC start up times. But this is no longer necassary. Loading the apps from hibernate file is no longer realy faster than normal restart. It can be still usefull if you have lots of applications open and not want re-open this again. But, I never trust this before and hibernate a game is just a completly different story :slight_smile:

And dont mix it … I assume with sleep mod you mean the “suspend to RAM” (S3). I mean the hibernation to hibernate.file on hard disc. It is similar , but not same… but I also not use it :rofl:

Dont understand me wrong. May be I have not correct word “usefull” :slight_smile: … I try it in other sentence: be carefull with hibernating and games and do in each case from time to time a windows Restart ( or disable quick start ). And there is nothing bad to shutdown a PC if you not use it. It’s better as to write a full RAM image to the ssd.

It’s still used to improve the PC startup time. In case a user has the fast startup ticked, the OS actually saves the state to the storage drive and enters hibernation as with default hibernation.

Actually, depending on individual settings on per component basis (LAN’s wake on LAn/wake on magic packet, etc) the system sleeps in both S2 and S3 power configurations, the powerback uses identical CPU vectors.
I am not mixing, why mixing, there is not mix - instead of hibernation, Sleep option is also available to save the system state to RAM.

Any one of these are better than completely turning off the machine in cases one is about to use it again the same day.

*EDIT
One should absolutely close any game prior to engaging any of these states.

Fixed this same issue by disabling the Nahimic service

This is a difficult one. Yes, turning off and then turning on will introduce some degree of “thermal shock” to components heating then cooling, however, I would personally say from my background (MEng Microelectronics and Software Engineering) that is probably overridden by the “wear and tear” (it happens, especially fans, PSUs etc. ) from operating for extended periods of time when not in use. There is also more danger from electricity supply brown outs/overvolts that happen from time to time. But this has been, and can be, debated forever - choose which way you prefer and stick to it :slight_smile:
Interestingly I think there is a good argument that Windows “degrades” over time. It used to be a lot lot worse (say in Windows 3.1!) but extra libraries, spurious files etc. build up over time. I’d say, if you could bear it, a thing to consider would be to to reformat from scratch and re-install every year or so - a might pain in the neck! (I used to be Technical Director of a software development company and we had a rolling programme to do that to all our machines… but that was quite a few years ago :slight_smile: If you do this of course ensure you have copies of everything before you format!!!