Sun Disc still visible through thick cloud after SU11

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

N/A

Brief description of the issue:

Having installed SU11 the sun disc is still visible through cloud, despite this being reported as “fixed”. Clearly it is not! EDIT: Just for the removal of doubt I am using live weather.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Provide coordinates (DevMode > Options > Display position)

Provide time & date of the observed Weather issue

12/11/2022 13:35 UK time.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

In many circonstances it has been improved a lot in SU11. But yes, I noticed that in some cases and mostly overcast (that is my thought), sun dic is still showing-up where it should not. It needs additional tweak to have it right and maybe the input of someone that have knowledge about light to determine the correct values. I did a quick test (GMFF) with custom overcast

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

3053 feets of thickness and we can still see the sun disc. This is not correct.

Increasing the tickness to 4924 feets, sun disc disc disappeared

What’s important, increasing layer thickness doesn’t provide greater attenuation of light passing through.

Yes, they mentioned that in the release note for that issue:

Not sure if it is because of a technical limitation maybe ? or it would have implied much more work ?

The right calculation of attenuation probably means heavy gpu/ cdu load. That’s why what we have is a fake attenuation - 2, maybe 4 ranges of cloud transparency regardless of the actual thickness and numbers of the layers. It was probably better before su5, but people complained. I bet most of the graphics problems with clouds now are caused by this solution introduced to raise the framerate.

1 Like

I was looking forward to seeing this being fixed but yeah I’m seeing the same as the above users. I hope it can be adjusted further.

Or increase the clouds density for real instead of just remove the sun behind really transparent clouds. I can even see the blue sky behind most of the clouds in the sim.

2 Likes