Surface Wind & Weather System Issues

I don’t think so

1 Like

I would say that something is definitely not right when one sees lightning inside the cockpit :rofl:. Happened to me recently while flying in Africa. The plane was FBW A32NX. I tried to take a picture but happened so fast that I did not manage to do that.

1 Like

The top set of sliders, direction & speed are for the steady wind. The bottom set are for gusts only, so again another direction & speed, as well as a frequency setting for those gusts.

So the gust speed is added to the wind speed then?

20 on each slider would give a steady wind of 20kts gusting to 40kts ??

Yes, and modified by the frequency you set. To be honest, even a modest amount like 5kt gusts can make landings challenging.

1 Like

Just trying to figure out how it works as the gusts slider moves in tandem with the wind slider but is always a tiny amount higher.

The Gusts per minute is very odd, it defaults to 35 per min but if touched it drops and does not go back that high - last time i messed with it it would not go back above 18

Almost certainly a bug in that case? Can you type directly in the box, rather than use a slider?

I’ll need to to test it again but from what i recall no it was not accepted

1 Like

I agree something must have gotten mixed up.

Winds in my region (New Jersey, US) are showing 40-60kts at ground level in the sim… In reality today flying around the winds were less than 20kts aloft up to 4500 and less than 6kts at ground level. Currently indicating 0kts at all TAF sites but the live MSFS weather insists there is a 20kt surface wind.

I agree, I have been learning dead-reckoning navigation, it works well if i use a fixed custom wind but using live weather nothing is ever near to the reports I plan the trip on from the MET office

I see we can get METAR form certain airports but only after planning the trip and pressing “Fly”

Is there any way to get the METAR and winds aloft from the sim live weather before planning anything?

Since the sim is using MeteoBlue data for it’s live weather, you might be able to get a good representation of the Sim’s Real Weather, from the Meteoblue Website ?

1 Like

Thats great, thanks for the link.

Maybe i can also ask - The TAF is terminal weather so thats ground level yes?
The METAR is at what level though?
In my quick look so far I can’t see any winds aloft data on that site - does FS2020 use them or just the METAR values?

I’ll be playing with this later as the live weather part of FS2020 and flight planning is fascinating to me.

METARs and TAFs are both related to weather at an aerodrome in which METAR is a observation and TAF is a forecast. Regarding wind speed and direction, in both cases its the wind at 10 m above the aerodrome.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, clears up that question nicely :slight_smile:

Is there anyway to get winds aloft from either meteoblue or from FS2020??

I know you can get it from Skyvector. Probably also Meteoblue somewhere.

For low level VFR flying there is a rule of thumb, I think it was like this:

Wind at 3000 ft is ground wind +50% and +30 degrees (northern hemisphere).

I can get it from the MET (UK) but it does not really match the sim live weather, i thought as it uses meteoblue that would match better but i can’t find winds aloft there :slight_smile:

I don’t believe it uses the winds aloft observations from for example weather balloons or aircraft. Also wind aloft charts are mainly a model and not based on observations. It uses the forecast model from MeteoBlue, so it might match. Not that it matters much, in real life the winds are never as forecasted. It isn’t 180 degrees off of course, but you always have to correct as you go, especially VFR when dead-reckoning. If the winds are roughly from the correct direction with roughly the correct speed, its good enough.

1 Like

Thanks,

I just like getting my info as good as possible when trying to learn something or it tends to fog the experience a little I find.

I had pretty good success when using a preset wind layer, very accurate result so my methods do seem to be working, however when i turn on live weather i’m finding the winds to be way off what i planned but that is probably due to not being able to match a forecast or WA figure to anything inside FS2020.

It would be really smart if the world map showed us the WA figures on it when zoomed in, even if not real then at least we could use them to plot a reasonable course. Its probably my least liked part of FS2020 - the lack of information considering it is supposed to be a simulator.

I have learnt that the visual reference aspect of the trip is now far more important than the planned aspect, i did get seriously lost on one trip, its surprising how dull the UK is from the air :slight_smile: I am now looking at how to adjust and correct the plan mid-flight.

The problem is that even professional software we are using in real life never match the real world winds. Of course its not far off, but if you would just fly the calculated headings and times you wouldn’t end up where you are supposed to. On top the aircraft performance never matches the AFM performance either.

1 Like

UK dull? You are not flying low enough :grin:

I also think that having a good weather briefing tool within the sim is a must. All the data is there.

You can (through the filters) show low level, high level winds on the world map but without any reference to height. Visualisation is speed only, not direction. Pretty poor show.