TAAU ghosting glitch when switching views (with render scale below 100%)

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes/No (no difference)

Brief description of the issue:

When setting the render scale to anything lower than 100% with TAA enabled (temporal upsampling), there is a ghosting glitch when switching views (scene change). A frame from the previous view is repeated after switching to the new one, briefly distorting the entire image.
This bug existed at launch and was fixed with Sim Update 5, however the issue returned with Sim Update 8 (beta build 1.23.9.0), both for PC and the Xbox.
This issue is more important now because such ghosting glitches should not exist for the upcoming DLSS 2.x and FSR 2.0 implementations to work properly. This is noted in the official FSR 2.0 documentation by AMD.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

The videos are taken at 1080p with render scale set to 30% to exaggerate the visibility of the issue, but it occurs at any resolution or render scale.

Slowed-down video to demonstrate the cockpit ghosting into the external view.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Reduce the render scale to 95% or lower with TAA enabled.
  2. Switch between cockpit and external views.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Occurs with both DirectX 11 and 12 on PC, and the Xbox Series X.

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Confirming that the issue persists with the 1.23.11.0 build, and that it occurs with DirectX 12 as well.

Topic moved to the general section as it is still occurring with today’s Sim Update 9 build (thanks to the moderators), main post has been updated. Although I can report it for the PC version myself, I’ve seen it occur on Xbox Series X footage as well (where the render scale is set to ~65%) after Sim Update 8 was released to live.

Hi, thanks for contributing to the bug report! Unfortunately, this is a bug with the temporal upsampling technique (it does not reject past frame data when there is a scene change), so only Asobo are able to fix this. It’s been an issue since launch and it was fixed with Sim Update 5/Xbox last summer, so it baffles me why this was reintroduced. My best guess is that they reverted to an older TAAU method in a (failed) attempt to fix the shimmering buildings.

We have to hope this will be fixed with Sim Update 10, which will add DLSS and possibly FSR 2.0. A ghosting glitch like this needs to be taken care of in order to properly implement either technology, and this is clearly stated in the official FSR 2.0 documentation.

1 Like

Regarding the freezing and stutters when switching views or panning the camera, this occurs because the CPU has to quickly load in all the off-screen scenery. It is normal behaviour, however since for many users (including Xbox) performance has regressed with Sim Update 8 & 9 (especially on the ground), I guess it makes sense that the stuttering has become worse.

On PC we have the off-screen terrain caching option which keeps the entire scenery in memory so the CPU can load the scenery assets much more quickly, reducing the stutters. Unfortunately it’s not an option on the Xbox though because of its limited RAM amount, which is what forced Asobo to make this change to the rendering system in the first place. Before Sim Update 5, the entire scenery around you was constantly kept in memory and rendered by the CPU, however performance was worse and memory consumption would go beyond 16GB even at lower LOD settings.

Sim Update 10 will supposedly bring performance and memory allocation optimisations for the DirectX 12 mode (which is already what the Xbox versions are running on), so there is hope that over time these issues will be eradicated and we will go back to the rather performant and stable state we had with Sim Update 6 or so.

1 Like

Thanks, very glad to hear that! Still a couple of GBs to go in my download of the beta so I should be able to report about an hour later too.

1 Like

After some testing in the beta, I can also confirm that this gnarly issue is finally gone again. Let’s hope it will stay that way until live, and that it will never return again!

I guess they fixed it in order to prevent problems with the DLSS implementation, but thankfully all of us and not just RTX GPU owners benefit from this.

1 Like

Hey! Did you find a solution to this please ? Has it returned for anyone?

I seem to be having this issue, it’s worse in some aircraft but really off putting?

For me this was fixed with Sim Update 10 and haven’t seen it since, can confirm it’s not occurring on the live build for me either. Can you share your graphics settings?