Tail number/Registration

Since the latest sim update, all my addon liveries aircraft show a registration above the actual registration that came with the livery. In aircraft customization menu, Tail number is empty. And show tail number is off.

Any idea how to remove it?

Faisal

You can look for the livery Aircraft.cfg file. Open it with Notepad, and you need to set this following line to look like this:

atc_id = " " ; tail number

Notice the blank character between the quotes? This will make the tail number invisible and use the one that is hardpainted on the livery itself.

Btw. it’s not a space character. It’s actually a separate different character that is a blank character. If you use space, the sim will freeze and you’ll may get CTD. So you can just copy and paste the line above to make sure you’re using the blank character and not the regular space.

2 Likes

Thank you so much.

Did as instructed and the CFG entry is as above but still the registration is showing.

The variables in the aircraft.cfg have no affect on the visibility of the registration. Please stop telling people to do this. It used to work in FSX, yes, but never in MSFS.

Using a space character for the registration defeats the purpose of having a registration. Usually people want ATC to know what their registration is so they can recognize when they are being called.

The only way to fix this is to properly edit the panel.cfg file to reduce the size of the registration text to zero. In the past, you have also often needed a copy of the panel.xml file in the liveries panel directory. The best way to do this is to use the following code in the panel.xml file. That way, it uses the panel.xml file of the default plane, and you don’t have to worry about keeping it up to date.

<Include RelativeFile="../../Carenado_M20R_Ovation/panel/panel.xml"/>

This example is for the Carenado M20 (obviously). For other planes, you’ll need to replace the “Carenado_M20R_Ovation” with the name of the directory of the default plane the livery is for that you’ll find inside its SimObjects\Airplanes directory, as was done for the M20 example above.

You can control many aspects of the Registration (except the size of the decal used to create it) by changing the following code in the panel.cfg file

[VPainting13]
size_mm    = 1, 1
texture    = $RegistrationNumber05
location = exterior
painting00=CustomRegistration/CustomRegistration.html?font_style=l3&font_color=0x360000&font_scale=1.15, 0, -50, 1600, 620

Notice that the size_mm = 1,1 instead of whatever it may have been. By reducing it to 1 millimeter (or 0), the registration text will effectively disappear and you can paint over it. You can also play with the scale or the color of the text with this.

If there are any instruments other than default instruments called out in the panel.cfg file, you’ll need to change the path for them to point to the panel directory of the plane the livery is for.

I don’t like putting blanks in the atc_id either. I actually like and prefer the flexibility of the default tail number function.

But the problem is coming from the livery creators who hardpainted those tail numbers. It’s not something I can control at that point.

I have gone through the same Panel.cfg approach before, while they do work the moment you made the fix. It poses a lot of issues down the track. Especially when you use FBW A32NX developer version mod that have daily updates to the aircraft systems very regularly. And a lot of these updates changes the base Panel.cfg of the aircraft. And when it does, then the livery will be loading the old Panel.cfg while the aircraft itself is trying to load the updated Panel.cfg. That’s the point where you’ll be experiencing issues with the cockpit like some buttons not working preventing you to start the battery or APU, autopilot misbehaving or even in some cases, missing cockpit models entirely.

To fix that, you have to copy the same panel.cfg from the updated aircraft, put them into the livery folders, edit the registration number format again. And if you need to do this practically daily on 100+ liveries that you have in your collection, it becomes a nightmare.

2 Likes

aircraft customization menu doesn’t remember custom Tail number/Registration anymore

Highlight the tail number section, you’ll see an option on the bottom left to del. Click delete on your keyboard. Nothing will happen but this will clear the registration.

It’s a known issue and hopefully it’ll get fixed in the next update.

2 Likes

it doesn’t??

This is my reg number in the WT CJ4.

Exterior:

I meant to type “except for atc_id”. None of the rest work.

In FSX, you used to be able to turn it off so you could paint it from the aircraft.cfg. No more.

That most certainly worked. Quick little fix to an annoying issue. Thanks

Continuing the discussion from Tail number/Registration:

After SU5 does Anyone know how to prevent duplicate tail numbers showing regardless of “SHOW TAIL NUMBER” on the OFF position? Any Idea?

Click in the tail number field and then click the Clear button in the bottom left of the screen.

1 Like

I just had a my first flight after the SU5. Everything was just great par some minor issues. This is one I have not been able to solve.

I had a flight with the Flybe livery of the King Air. I set a fictional flight number 5547.

After that flight (in Scotland) I wanted to have a shorter flight somewhere with a sun. I went to Gabon with a XCub. I set a fictional registration with no call sign nor flight number. But ATC called me 5547 ignoring my registration.

How do I get rid of the flight number of the previous flight ? And there was no call sign and no flight number on the aircraft menu when I started my second flight!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.