Taxi Navigation Ribbon - Toggle

Indeed, this could have been part of the very first sim update. :smiley:

I seriously doubt this feature will be more than 10 lines of code

Unless they messed up somewhere and their code structure isn’t so clean

1 Like

This is a great idea - and hopefully easy to implement!

1 Like

Glad you finally released your taxi ribbon mod. When you were saying about making the parking box look like a painted parking area, I admit I thought you were going to recolour it to white to match the standard parking paint line colour. And use the same white colour between the “blue” mode and the “green” mode where you place the aircraft at the right position to make it more immersive as if you’re parking at a painted area which doesn’t change colours.

1 Like

This is a good idea which I plan in a future update!

I’ve been especially playing a little more with the colors and the materials yesterday.

In the meantime, “as painted area” means “painted on the ground” (nearly, there remains a small edge visible but I’ll try reducing it more later as well).

What about this:

1 Like

Oooohhh
 look at that
 what a beauty

1 Like

Thank you for this little tool! Its bizarre Assistance options aren’t bindable given the 1000s of commands that are, I get the feeling the Asobo team only fly GA.

1 Like

Not sure why this topic is still open. It is possible to dynamically enable/disable taxi ribbons using the Flight Assistant drop-down menu. This feature was added in SU5.

Because like in the OP:

However you’re right in a sense because the OP is also about:

But in any case, what would be most useful (to me at least but I believe a lot of people are thinking alike in this topic), is to also add a command you could bind, so that you can toggle this feature with a button, a keyboard shortcut, another gauge, etc

As a matter of fact, every single UI element should have an equivalent programmable actionable event in my opinion. This is also what contributes to make a difference between a game and a so called “platform” to develop upon, at least perceptually if not truly.

Absolutely!

1 Like

A step in the right direction to be sure, but they need to separate it from the landing assist visual aids. I should be able to have one on, and the other off, as I was able to do through the in-game assistance menu.

2 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly.

1 Like

thanks for this.
I applied it to SU7 (rel 1.21.13.0) . Works fine.
The offset in the bgl is different though. Look beyond 63C50.
cheers

1 Like

Hi @CptLucky8, Just letting everyone know here that I’ll be closing my Subtle Taxi Ribbon mod out of respect to @Cygnifick and @JonnyDog68.

Besides, there’s really no point in having two mods that does similar thing between the two of our mods anyway. So from this point on, everyone will have sole access to your mod instead for the Taxi Ribbon improvements.

Just one final advice, I think it would be best if you rename your mod with “Ribbon” on the title. Or at least add it in the tags somewhere. The reason is, most people would search using the keyword “Taxi Ribbon” as it is what it’s called in the English language version of MSFS. When I searched with that same keyword on the site, it can only find my mod instead of yours as well. So there’s a risk that after I closed my mod, people won’t be able to find your mod just because they don’t use the correct keyword.

So in the mean time, I’ll add a link to your mod page on my mod page while I remove all the downloadable files as I can. (possibly uploading the original Asobo_UI.bgl file as a backup if it requires me to have one file.) That way, people coming accross to my mod page will be referred to your mod instead.

Thanks for the help, and I apologise if I offend anyone in the process.

One of the weirdest statement I’ve read in a while.
Just so you know, when I looked for a ribbon mod, only yours existed. I actually had no idea another one was made.

But I checked and like yours better, simple and easy to use without 1000 different choices so I’ll keep using it. :+1:

until Asobo updates the bgl file. :grin:

Thanks for your work!

There is a Simvar you can use to hide and show the ribbons. “FLY ASSISTANT RIBBONS ACTIVE”

https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Programming_Tools/SimVars/Aircraft_SimVars/Aircraft_AutopilotAssistant_Variables.htm

So in theory it should be possible to make a toolbar version sending the Var with a click. Or add it to a controller with a program (Spad.Next, FSUIPC, Axis and Oh’s etc.) that supports sending Vars

1 Like

The mod is about having less intrusive arrows (smaller) and no huge box of where to park.

This thread started as a request to give the ability to toggle the Ribbons. Size had nothing to do with that.

Looks like someone figured out a mod from that

Surprised this slipped by unnoticed (just found it today).

From the SU10 Beta - New settings available to toggle the Taxi Ribbon:

12 Likes