TBM 930 Autopilot Sideslip problem

I have discovered that the aircraft yaws right when certain autopilot modes are activated. See the below pictures

Top Pic: When the autopilot is in Heading Mode (or in NAV mode), the aircraft yaws right, I’ve have circled the side slip indication.

Bottom Pic: When I switch to Roll Mode, the aircraft immediately becomes fully coordinated and there is no slip.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? As the plane slips the autopilot is banking the wings to compensate. I could fly autopilot for an hour and the wings are banked almost 10 degrees

I may be ignorant here, I have never flown this aircraft IRL, but I feel like this is not a normal thing in any aircraft.

2 Likes

This is not an uncommon problem.
These are the first steps to take.
With the sim running, if you are on the start up screen, from the top heading, select “Options”, or if you are already in the sim, press “ESC” on the keyboard.

• Under “General”
    Set “Flight Model” to “Modern”, not “Legacy”.
  • Under “Assists”
    Set all “Piloting” assists to “Off”
  • When you are in the sim, from the “winged” sim icon, Open AI Control (icon to the right of the yoke icon), and ensure that “Control Aircraft” is “Off” (button placed to the left).

Next, and quite important, is to add deadzones to each axis for all your controllers. Approximately 5% should be enough, but there have been instances where significantly more was needed.

Do not assume, even if you know how you had these already set, ensure these are this way now.
The last few updates did change some user settings.

When you get all this done, and if you’ve still got the problem, let us know.

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem .
I have tried setting the AP off, then on again during the flight,
Only when the AP is engaged, the banking to the left or right is getting back.
I am looking for a solution to this problem all ever the net , without any success so far.

1 Like

Did you do the above steps?
That is the first place to start, and probably 80-90% of the time it cures the issue.
Do those first.
If they don’t solve the issue, let us know.

There are other things if this doesn’t work, but these steps will need to be done in any case, should further troubleshooting be required.

Just a small weigh-in here…I’ve now logged about 40 hrs in the TBM930 and have never noticed any of these side-slip issues. I’ve used the autopilot in every way available (HDG, NAV, VS, FLC) and so far I’m pleased with how it flies. It’s one of my favorite planes right now.

Most times, people with these issues do get them solved.
A lot of the time it is controller based, and the above steps generally fix the issue.
MSFS is really fussy with a controller’s output signals.
A controller that is just a little off when returning to dead center will emit a spurious signal that the autopilot can’t handle.

There are a few other things that can be tried as well, if these don’t do it.
Like you, I’m actually one of the lucky ones.
I have very few issues with the plane or the sim.

This was the case for me. I have a similar time in the TBM, but just two days ago this started happening to me. At first, the AP was all over the place from a 10knt crosswind, then after the wind left it was stuck in this left bank position. Furthermore, direction changes on the route would make the plane rock back and forth for a couple of minutes. Loaded another flight and the same thing, now with added side slip.

This game is a mess.

Tried all of them. Side slip stopped with dead zones BUT now it wont hold course it just sits just outside line.

I can only tell you that in real life the TBM most probably does not have a rudder servo, in other words the autopilot has no authority over the rudder and therefore it should not matter what mode you are in.

You need to keep using rudder trim to fly coordinated, the only thing the yaw damper does is compensate for certain yaw rates due to turbulence etc. it does not make the aircraft fly coordinated!

The only aircraft I have flown which automatically trims the rudder to fly coordinated is the ATR -600, even with an engine failure it will automatically fly coordinated. The older ATRs do not and you have to keep using the rudder trim the whole flight, whenever speed or power is changed, rudder trim is needed.

On the Embraer there is an optional rudder servo for autolands, which only engages during CAT II/III approach and go-around following such approach. All other phases of flight you need to trim the rudder manually, luckily its a jet so there isn’t that much rudder trim needed.

Point I’m trying to make is, its not that common for the autopilot to have authority over the rudder. There are only a few advanced planes with such an option. In most aircraft you’ll need to keep using rudder trim. In other words, MSFS should keep his hands of your rudder!

That’s a good start.
The next thing to look at is the rudder reactivity setting.
Several persons mentioned they also had to adjust the reactivity setting for the rudder.
I have heard of settings between 20 and 65%, so you will need to experiment (start with the lower #'s like 20%.
If that helps, set that number as high as you can make it before the issue re-appears.

TBM 930 AP eingeschaltet, Horizontalflug. Nach einigen Minuten stellt sich eine Querlage von ca. 10° bank nach rechts ein. Das Seitenruder geht langsam in den ANSCHLAG NACH RECHTS, das Flugzeug fliegt aber unbeirrt geradeaus weiter. Dies würde im reellen Fliegen ein Rechtsspirale einleiten und das Flugzeug zum Absturz bringen. Würde das Seitenruder nach links ausschlagen, wäre es eine Glissade (slip) und wäre im i im reellen Fliegen möglich, aber sinnlos. Leider ist beim TBM 930 keine Seitenrudertrimmung vorhanden und diese unrealistische Fluglage kann nur durch Ausschalten des AP aufgehoben werden.

Hi VainerSquash262,

According to the Code of Conduct, you must use English when posting on the forums. The one exception is the #multiplayer category, where you can use any language to help you find users to connect with.

If you cannot read English, the forums provide a handy feature that translates posts into your native language, you can use this feature by clicking the translate button under a post. translate icon

If you need help converting a post from your language to English, try using Bing Translator, the same service used by the forums.

Hello there, I think we can probably help you with your issue.

These are the first steps to take.
With the sim running, if you are on the start up screen, from the top heading, select “Options”, or if you are already in the sim, press “ESC” on the keyboard.

• Under “General”
    Set “Flight Model” to “Modern”, not “Legacy”.
  • Under “Assists”
    Set all “Piloting” assists to “Off”
  • When you are in the sim, from the “winged” sim icon, Open AI Control (icon to the right of the yoke icon), and ensure that “Control Aircraft” is “Off” (button placed to the left).
  • Next, and quite important, is to add deadzones to each axis for all your controllers. Approximately 5% should be enough, but there have been instances where significantly more was needed.

Let us know if this works!

It already happened to me several times (also with other planes). I kick the rudder left and right once or twice and it goes back to normal. It is a strange solution but for me it works. It could be controller based as stated by TheSevenflyer although his advices are not useful for me (everything was already like the that in my MSFS

This sounds like a controller driver thing. In my setup, I also have to run all my throttle quadrant controls through their full ranges after starting the simulator. If I don’t, then they don’t work right in the sim.

So I just make that part of my habit – kind of like you do when flying a real plane. As part of your pre-flight checks, you always check that the flight controls are free of restriction, have full travel, and correctly move the flight control surfaces.

1 Like

I had this problem today. 1st time that I had that. Plane was doing fine after take off, flew on AP for 1 hour, but I had strong Xwind in altitude (about 90kts). plane was banked the whole flight. I disconnected the AP on descent and it kicked violently to the right. I had to finish the flight with left rudder pressure to keep it lvled.

flew other plane after without any problem at all

That worked for me. Thanks.

1 Like