Terrible apocalyptic photogrammetry of Vienna

Cycle your Photogramrity off, save, and back on save.
Also the same for live data, and delete your cache and re-create while your at it.

its very common post update to have either the live streaming data turned off or just not work post update, even when its on. Cycling the settings helps.

This has happened to me quite a bit, and I make it part of my routine post update, which is to say I check EVERYTHING, and reset what I know has not worked in the past…

3 Likes

Agree! Photogrammetry is poorly implemented in this sim. It works sometimes, other times there’s nothing but triangles or melted pyramids where buildings should be, and I have an extremely fast internet connection. Haven’t been impressed with the consistency of MSFS’s photogrammetry.

2 Likes

You may have a fine connection but somewhere between you and the content servers may be the issue?

FTFY. I think the tech on a whole is poor but I’m in the minority on this. I would much rather them invest in making auto-gen more accurate. Photogrammetry has always promised more than it can deliver. Eg. PG trees are still blobs so they have to hide them with a ton of extra vegetation which doesn’t exist IRL making many cities seem overrun by a jungle. The materials of glass skyscrapers are dull and don’t reflect the shiny materials that compose them.

1 year in we still have melted buildings and green blobs for trees. PG is a great idea, but I suspect in order to stream it they have to round it down so much that it just doesn’t work as intended.

AI giveth and AI taketh away.

6 Likes

yes, it appears so. its inconsistent

1 Like

Maybe you changed your LOD scalings in usercfg.opt ? I’ve a 50Mbit modem here, when I set the LOD-Scalings to 5.0000, my internet connection cannot keep up over Amsterdam.

A LOD-scaling of 5.0000 improves photogrammetry, at least for Amsterdam it does improve a bit (e.g. square windows). Check it out for Vienna… but you’ll need a good internet connection and some luck with the server you are connected to. Folks with high end hardware will enjoy this trick, but rolling cache is advised !

at the moment i‘ve set it at 2 but i can give it a try with 5

I didn’t modify the usercfg file. I tried creating a new rolling cache and off on the photogrammetry. I have the behind the scene cache on ultra.
Since the post is about Vienna, I went there and it was just as ugly as Berlin, or rather, more.
There must be some bugs somewhere.
I attached a picture of what I saw. All my graphic settings are either high or ultra btw and the FPS is 50 to 60 on average.

1 Like

That is indeed ugly. I did not try Vienna yet, but I am going to test it on the weekend.

I had the same problem, Vienna looked just like your picture, so I turned off Bing Data and photogrammetry in the options menu, saved setting then turned them back on and saved settings, went back and looked at Vienna and this time it looked normal, hope this helps

3 Likes

I tried that, PG AND Bing this time, no results. Now I actually see those ugly random buildings in Paris too, what fooled me was that the main famous buildings are detailed and fine, as wall as smaller cities with individual houses in the outskirts, I just don’t get it. This last Update is worse than anything.

Slow down and wait for the PG data fully loaded, otherwise you may get low polycount and blurry texture.

What do you mean “slow down”. The speed of the plane ? Nah, doesn’t matter how long I stay or how fast I go, I only see very minor, barely noticeable better textures loading as I fly over

The screen shoot you’ve posted above clearly shows that the PG data was not fully loaded.

5 Likes

Ok just remember please folks that if you rush out to see the latest updates that Asobo installed, everyone else is doing exactly the same thing so the server loads spike right after a release. My advice, fully acknowledging that things could be amiss, is to wait a week or so before posting about some area not being up to par. Some people will notice bad PG more than others because their internet connections are not great or the route they take to the data is not the best. I’ve noticed with every update that they get better in a few days. By a week or so, things are far better.

Just did a quick test and it doesn’t look too bad at all to me (I am on fast internet with rolling cache enabled)

7 Likes

I think there may be something here - there was a recent bug where settings were not being saved.

I actually prefer photogrammetry than entire handcrafted cities. It feels more real somehow and more interesting and varied.

If only they can replicate the quality of Tokyo photogrammetry in every city then it would be amazing.

10 Likes

Ok, then the solution is, we have to visit vienna one after another? This is clearly a bug

2 Likes

It’s a big planet, after all. Been to Africa already? Pretty empty there, in my experience :wink:

3 Likes