Night lighting issues still present - The community solutions

Very insightful suggestions, and pretty much exactly what I’ve proposed in some other posts I made a while back. Regarding your question in the end, this is certainly achievable, I think even FSX had it implemented back in 2009 (for 3d models, not ground texture though), called Fresnel Ramp.
Where the alpha/transparency is directly controlled by viewing angle. Using this method, it would be possible to limit the effect to shallow viewing angles (only found close to the horizon as you said) , and a distance range wouldn’t be needed. Side note though, although Fresnel Ramp / angle falloff works painfree on 3d models, I personally don’t know the GPU demand for global scene calculations, but I’m hoping it will be negliable, 'cause that would be awesome.
:

Regarding replacing the Sepia Mask with a generated hybrid texture, I’ve been trying to brainstorm this too in the following post. (Note that this is only from my first day of trying, have learned a bit more now, for instance excluding rural road lights based on Black Marble global illumination data)

1 Like