Night lighting issues still present - The community solutions

I’m fairly confident it would(we have the same color-variation as older lights, although more overexposed look ), but not nearly as pronounced, because doubling the range would still only be a 5th of realistic visibility range.

That’s definitely the way it should be, with lights fading into “invisibility” often due to atmospheric visibility, most noticeable at lower levels but visibility doesn’t really seem to be reliably implemented at the moment. But the current lights have a fade/phasing-out , but not connected to
Here’s from 15,000 ft with the roads fading out in the distance.

(And holy smokes those red obstacle lights are overpowered, both size and visibility range)

But if you mean my comparison in this earlier post , then you can see that lamp scaling/fading isn’t implemented for lower LOD’s, which is something that should be implemented, and if possible, tuned with Sepia Mask draw distance for different LOD settings (or more preferably, a light distance/quality/slider)

Yes this is definitely possible, I did some tests generating lights using QGIS and OSM vector data (afaik, pretty much the same way Asoso have placed their lights in MSFS) , but I masked the placement using NASA’s Black Marble data, my first attempts in this post and some more tests in other posts, here and here.

Here’s a screenshot from Early alpha, late 2019 to early 2020, before it got degraded into the “pre-update5” version.

And here’s the release-build that many ppl want back without understanding/caring about sepia mask and vanishing lights at a 10th of the distance of what’s usually seen IRL. Looks like there’s been a power outtage!

Imagine having built on the first version instead of looping in a full circle like we have now, almost a whole year “wasted”, but hopefully the devs will go back listening to look at facts instead of all those emotion-based ones.

This could’ve possibly have been due to all the hyperbolic, non-specific & non-constructive complaints similar to many of those in this thread, mostly by non-pilots,
Instead of “rural roads shouldn’t be lit, try to mask those out” and “more variation in brightness is needed to break uniform appearance”, a majority said “waaay too bright, nothing like real” .

Ok, then there seems to be a very fine line between acceptable and “unacceptable”

Pre-patch and post-patch, the difference is not always “shocking”, “horrible” nor “unacceptable”.

Brussels still looks quite good at dusk, especially now when lamps doesn’t disappear after just a fraction of real life visibility. Lamp power and bulb size could definitely be toned down. But “unacceptable”, come on. We gotta be able to express ourselves with more than just superlatives, if we’re hoping to be of any help to guide the Devs into improving the sim.

Personally I love finally being able to see realworld features like highways and streetlights breaking out of clouds, instead of a pale brown daytime texture showing a majority of features(roofs, fields, unlit areas) that would be pitch black IRL…

It definitely needs more tuning, but we finally have tech that has the potential to look Both realistic and beautiful, not just beautiful.

6 Likes