Terrible Performance after SU8 with RTX 3080[SOLVED] Might be Useful for People Having Performance Issues

Well since my monitor doesn’t support 4K, I guess I’m not gonna push my GPU further. Still I can’t thank you enough for these settings, it was a life changer.

2 Likes

Hi there,

EVGA RTX 3080
i7-10700K not overclocked
32 GB RAM 2666MHz
512 SSD only for MSFS

2 Likes

Your results are amazing at Charles de Gaulle. I have the same GPU as you, 32GB Ram at 3000, M.2 disk…. And the intel i9-10900F.

In ultra settings I am forced into playing at 4K I presume my CPU can’t handle lower resolutions. At 4K ultra at Paris I get between 15-20 fps and it’s awful.

So how you are getting your results I don’t know. Are you able to post all of your NVIDIA control panel settings so we can copy you??

I have only changed my global settings so far…

You are welcome, glad to be of assistance. Passing on your findings to others is the best thing to do. I see so many posts on here (2 or 3 a week) and they are usually about the same thing. Maybe with a slightly different angle, but usually the same thing. I feel like we could do with writing some help guide for others, but there are so many different hardware permutations and GPU folklore and indeed a personal attachment for some to certain FS settings it may be hard to do.

2 Likes

What are your LODs set at? Can you post a pic of your FPS in dev mode? There is a lot of good info in previous posts in this thread, but give us a snapshot of where you are at.

That’s so true, but I guess in order this to be the proved solution many people must run these settings so that we can come up with a conclusion I guess.

You can see the post I sent above supported with screenshots. In nvidia control panel, nothing has been changed in global settings, only changes in application settings which I have also posted above.

2 Likes

Ahh after this reply and looking at your post again, I see there are a lot less options in the game specific nvidea settings (a lot more in global settings). I’m guessing your global settings are set at prefer max performance?

Also, please can you let us know what frequency your CPU is running at whilst planting MSFS? Mine is 4.6ghz.

Thank you so much for your help though, you seem to have nailed it with the settings!

2 Likes

There’s probably a matrix of hardware and settings that we could all come up with but the principle is the same balance CPU/GPU load, lower LODs to relieve CPU, tweak a few NVCP settings (that matter), try 30FPS/60Hz and usually you get there. On the low end (my laptop) it was a different, but similar, process. Mainly lowering LODs & render scale to 1400x900 and med/low sliders.
Every case is unique but inherently the same. Someone could make a small fortune if they came up with a settings optimiser for FS.
If you want a laugh run the NVidia Experience one without accepting the recommendations. I bet it will suggest switching all graphical sliders to medium.:joy: and yet I’ve seen at least one post here suggesting someone blindly accepted the findings of this optimiser.

2 Likes

I mean it’s annoying because I get beautiful performance everywhere except major airport on the ground, so I’m scared of changing everything again. But 34fps at Charles de Gaulle is like unheard of!

Based on your hardware spec you should easily get acceptable frsmerates everywhere. I have my system locked at 30FPS/60Hz @ 4K and it’s smooth everywhere in FS including LFPG. The NVidia control panel app settings are worth trying though. Esp max performance, low latency and textures to performance. HAGS should be off too.

The other thing I notice is FPS performance seems to change dramatically day by day, hour by hour, even without making ANY settings changes at all…. I can’t explain it.

Would be useful to see your FPS in dev mode.
Don’t rule out thermal throttling too if you have say a bad heating connection or not enough cooling or thermal paste etc. That Could certainly vary your performance.
Worth trying to tune your system first though.

Okay I have so many questions.

1 - what are HAGS?
2 - where do you lock it at 30fps and 60hz? NCP or in the game?
3 - what settings do you have in the game including the sliders?
4 - what does your CPU run at in the game?
5 - what is your render scaling?
6 - do you make NCP changes globally or MSFS specifically?
7 - please can you screenshot your NCP settings.

Sorry for asking you so much!

I’ve done a lot of tuning (I don’t overclock though) but don’t get your performance. As I said, my poor fps seems to be on the ground at large airports. But Paris CDG seems to be the worst in the game. In the sky, or even at day Macco Manchester airport, it’s smooth as butter.

Oh one more, you seem to be quite big on low latency mode which I have tested before… are you happy this improves things?

I’m guessing you have it set to on and not ultra (or which ever the other setting is!)

1. HAGS = Hardware Accellerated GPU Scheduling (a windows desktop graphics option). It can help in certain situations and certain hardware (my old laptop for example) but most people report issues with higher end systems.
  2. Lock refresh rate in NVCP, Lock framerate by turning on VSync and selecting 30 in FS graphics options
  3. TLOD & OLOD directly affect CPU load so does traffic (ground, aircraft etc) clouds also can affect CPU a bit esp on Ultra. All other graphical sliders affect GPU. Your GPU needs to be loaded correctly compared to your CPU. If you are hitting CPU limitations (seeing mainthread limited situations) then lower your LOD’s, 250 seems to be a good figure for TLOD on your spec of hardware, maybe even 200. Also increase your GPU load (at 4K it is already highish), but most of your graphical sliders can probably be on high or ultra. Again monitor your dev mode FPS and see whether you are CPU or GPU limited and balance loads accordingly using that technique.
  4. I’ve tuned my CPU to sit mostly green/yellow (much like the image posted above) and my GPU sits at about 70% utilisation (leaving me headroom for anything else FS can throw at it).
  5. 100% render scale. I don’t think if you are running at 4K you need to increase this as 4K is a good load for your GPU, use the graphical sliders to load it first render scale directly affects GPU load though.
  6. MSFS specifically. I don’t play other games but if I did its better to have a custom profile for FS. I think (not sure) if whenever you reinstall or upgrade an NVidia driver it can overwrite defaults but this doesn’t happen if you set up an app specific one.
  7. My NVCP settings are exactly as I list here. If you do a ‘reset settings’ on NVCP first then these are the only things I have set different from default.
    Terrible Performance after SU8 with RTX 3080[SOLVED] Might be Useful for People Having Performance Issues - #13 by BragRaindrop933
1 Like

You’re a real star!! Thanks I will follow this up.

Btw - I am ALWAYS limited by main thread. I don’t know if 4.6 ghz is fast enough for my 3080 GPU in MSFS.

The base clock of the 10900F is 2.8 with a max turbo of 5.1ghz. But as I said, when I checked it in MSFS it just sits at around 4.6.

1 Like

Yes Low Latency ON. I have no idea what ‘Ultra’ does but ‘On’ works for me. There are differing opions all over, but the pilot pete video I linked to way up the thread explains the smoothing that can be acheived (30FPS/60Hz). Having my FPS (30) set at a whole number of refresh rate (60Hz) for me really helps, although @CkTheWinner seems to have proven otherwise tonight! Which is really interesting. I wouldn’t rule out the benefits of changing the texture filtering quality in NVCP to ‘performance’ though. There are gains to be had in those settings. One other reason I don’t like my GPU to be too busy is that my cooling fan makes a lot of noise when it is. At 70%(ish) utilisation it’s far more audibly bearable! These are the not often discussed conundrums of running FS :grinning:

3 Likes

Be interested to know what your CPU is. Deffo gonna follow all of this tomorrow