Terrible VR performance with top end Ryzen / 3080 system

A good title helps other users find your topic and encourages them to join in the conversation. Topic titles must be concise and clearly outline the purpose of your discussion.

Please alter your topic title. You can do this by clicking the pencil icon next to the topic title.

I couldn’t possibly care less about benchmarks. I’ve never checked my FPS in MSFS and I never will.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BvjBIoxRpJ8&t=364s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R-c-th7ne_Q&t=8s

Nor could I care any less whether you believe me or not, for that matter. I’ve seen a ton of threads with people being really disappointed in either Ryzen’s or 3xxx cards. Me? No problems.

The PC experts are right, what they are probably not all telling though is that Intel is supposedly (historically) better than AMD single core, but AMD is better than Intel multi-core. In other words, if it is for flight simulation known to run mostly on 1 core, you rather use an Intel, otherwise, use an AMD!

I am considering this, my 5800X has been a nightmare since I received it. It doesn’t boost properly and causes my system to BSOD constantly. I had to set a VCORE voltage offset in the BIOS, which I’m not entirely sure what it EXACTLY does other than limits the power consumption on the top end of its boost range. Doing this has made my system stable as far as I can tell. Before doing that I could load up practically any game and it would BSOD within 10 minutes.

I have it in a stable state right now, but I have already requested an RMA but waiting to hear from AMD.

If I do end up getting rid of it, I will buy a 10850K for slightly less performance in FS2020, 2 more cores, for less money. Only thing is that cost savings is negated by extremely expensive motherboards. I need an mATX board and basically the only one available capable of overclocking (which I don’t actually really care to do, so I might find a non-K variant) costs $300 CAD.

This is kind of last resort though. I would prefer to keep my Ryzen CPU provided it actually works properly.

I just setup my system according to this guide to the letter, and will test shortly.

However, one question.

What does setting the overall SteamVR resolution to 100%, then the FS2020 game specific resolution to 78% do exactly?

I thought they were the same thing, but compound on top of each other?

For example if you have both set to 100%, then the render scale is 100%. But if they are both something over 100%, those values will combine into a larger render scale.

I noticed in your guide you referred to the overall setting as “100% TAA” and the per-game setting to “resolution.” I may be wrong here, but don’t these sliders do exactly the same thing, except one is a global value and the other is specific to the game?

I don’t think your explanation of this setting is accurate…based on what I thought I knew anyway.

It is all detailed in the discussion, like for example:

All answered here:

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) 🟢 - #207 by CptLucky8

I didn’t say it did. Reading is fundamental.

I’m just sharing my experience. And I’ve heard it all to the contrary, with long explanations and exasperated replies about how I’m wrong. Which is all well and good. But my Ryzen is a great work PC, and my Intel has been a phenomenal flight sim PC. I wish you the best, I understand the frustration.

1 Like

That’s not the best you BC an buy.

Are you using openxr and steam VR?

1 Like

I have spent 2 days playing with settings. I can’t agree more this is a Terrible implementtion!

My spec
64gig Ram
8Core Intel
2080Ti
Oculus Quest via Link

I have seen enough comments from people with various rigs and “more” powerful graphic cards than me having problems to know there is something “wrong”

I have a reasonable expectation that a VR game will run at 45fps - based on every other game I have played and developing in Unreal Engine every day!

Problems:

1. Black frame - this is fixed by updating the latest Oculus beta or disabling the Oculus FOV stencil
  2. Pressing space in VR causing the black frame to misalign - this is fixed with Oculus beta update
  3. Stuttering and slow FPS - haven’t got a solution yet! The closest I have got is around 30 fps leaving me with headaches and motion sickness!
1 Like

Your video links don’t even show VR!
Show me you running in VR with a decent frame rate and then I might believe you!

I didn’t say it did. For the second time.

Hey everyone. I am a fps junkie. I love by games at 144fps…that’s why i bought 3080 and 9900k. This flight sim…i mean, wasnt it obvious it will never go 90fps on any machine when even 3090 would not push this in 2d 4k? There was no way this would run natively smoothly. On the other hand - i gotta admit that 45aws, heck even 30aws seems really okay for the flying. I gave up and just accepted this. And i am having fun :+1: i am running an ancient cv1 woth a crazy stupid resolution, but still it taxes the pc like crazy :slight_smile: but once again - i’ve managed my expectations as it was obvious it will just not perform better :+1:

2 Likes

Hello all,

I have been reading this thread as I also play in VR (on a Lenovo Explorer)… I suspect @Greekanadian that you have a software issue ; because my configuration is far less efficient than yours and I can achieve a playable frame rate.
I have a brand new 10700K, a GTX1070 and 32Gb Ram. Obviously, my GTX is at 100% load, but the VR is still enjoyable assuming you don’t want to fly at 100ft.

Considering your configuration, you should obtain something playable !

What I have noticed is that the game (or DX11 ?) loads mainly the first two processors while the rest remains idle. As AMD is relying more on the number of cores, it may have an impact, but not that big.

For me, as native WMR configuration, all I tried to change on OpenXR had a “degrading” effect… the best I get is using the default VR settings and increasing of one step texture res and terrain res.

All this make me think your issue should be mainly on software side.

It seems very heavily dependent on the aircraft you choose as well. The only aircraft that work really well for me are ones that don’t have EFIS. That appears to be a known bug but really becomes apparent in VR.

Then there seemsto be levelsof bad among the electronic instrument planes. A smaller turbo prop or something similar runs well enough to be playable. OTOH something like the 747 is a horrible stuttery disaster over a major city. I have a fairly high end system too (3900x and 3090).

1 Like

So I played around last night with how I’m opening the game and found some irregularities that I can’t replicate again, here is the process I did.
Specs
16gig 3200mhz
2080s
First i am using the 446.14 nvidia drivers which helped with the spikes but was still just buried in the red at 30 fps.
Now last night came home switched from newest drivers because I was playing cyber punk to the 446.14.
Started steam vr
Launched fs2020 and went through menus and launched into game on runway.
Dev console enabled
Cntrl+tab to vr and bam 45 fps in the yellow not in red like before but the fs2020 fps counter in dev console was enabled and in my right upper eye.
I flew a little while like that everything felt great compared to 30 fps and red.
Now I cntrl+tab back to disable the fps counter and once back in vr absolute garage framerate, jumping from 30 to 0.
So I close everything fire it back up with dev console enabled with fps counter and back to 45 fps and consistent.
Then I tried to close everything down and disabled dev console. I had bad framerates since no matter what combination I do even enabling the dev console it’s bad now. I have tried recreating this multiple times with no luck.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

I completely disagree. All I build are AMD systems. For myself and for family and friends. All of them work great in anything we throw at them. Including any FS we have ever owned.

1 Like

I don’t want to enter the AMD / Intel war… I have been thinking to this for a looong time before deciding for myself. But the question is more “how many cores / threads is the game using ?”…

Knowing that one only core is more efficient on Intel processors, they are better for games that are not able to balance their load on all the cores / threads. Looking at stats sites, it seems it is the case for most of the actual games (related to DX11 ?).

For having done different tests to check my processor temperatures, I can tell you that FS2020 really loads 2 cores ; which will give better performances on Intel (at equal price).

This being said, I can understand a comment like @anon17491698’s as he probably ran into the issue I am explaining here.

Considering that I built this PC almost for the sole purpose of playing flight simulator 2020 in VR, and the lackluster and very disappointing performance even on very high end hardware despite following guides ( which did improve performance somewhat ) I will be selling off or returning all the hardware that I bought for this system because I just don’t need it for anything else.

Based on what I’ve seen here in order to have an acceptable level of performance and visuals for me personally in a VR flight simulator I will need at least 3x the performance that I’m getting from an RTX 3080 and an AMD 5800X. This level of performance is just purely unacceptable, as well as disappointing.

So looks like I will purge all of this from my mind and come back to it in 2022.

1 Like