Terrible VR performance with top end Ryzen / 3080 system

If I could get 45fps on 2080ti - it would be acceptable but I get 20fps!

Some people say you need a higher framerate in VR to avoid motion sickness - like 60fps or above.

Clearly, no-one is getting this with MSFS and wont until they have more CPU headroom. Has anybody noticed a dramatic difference in framerate by changing the graphics settings? I would be very surprised.

So either Asobo optimise their code to make less demands on CPU or we have to wait for faster CPUs for better framerates.

Personally although my average is around 30fps I find this very playable, with no motion sickness. Flying over areas I know well, mountains I have climbed, the accuracy and immersion really take my breath away.

Unfortunately I’m having to put up with all the issues I was getting before VR like random 30 second+ freezes whilst flying and frequent total lockups. But hopefully in time these will be fixed. I may try a full reinstall in case there is any problem with my original install.

But I’ll make the point I made in other posts again very briefly. This sim is very CPU-bound. So tinkering with graphics settings won’t make much difference. Even doing a small overclock on my CPU (0.4 GHz to 5.2GHz) gave me a small but welcome gain in FPS

So I hope the CPU intensiveness is something Asobo can optimise in the future.

Happy flying!

What I’m not sure I understand is that I can get framerates between 30-40 fps, which would seem sufficient for a non-combat sim. However, the cockpit stutters horribly when moving my head around. Even just sitting on the runway in the 152. The stutters don’t seem to be 30-40 fps (the rate of stuttering makes it seem like the frame rate is much slower) even though the performance overlay info leads me to believe that my framerates are stable.

The stuttering alone makes this borderline unplayable for me at the moment. I don’t get the same in IL-2 or in DCS.

This is on a G2 at between 70-80% resolution in both OpenVR and in the sim. I’ve got a 3080 and Ryzen 3600xt with 32gb ram at 3000mhz.

A few comments from reading through this thread.

• If you have a 5000 series Ryzen, then you aren’t losing anything to an Intel machine. (this graph). I would love to get my hands on a 5800x right now but refuse to pay someone extra on ebay. I do have one on pre-order on Amazon. Who knows when it will show up if ever.

• Make sure the AMD machine is configured correctly with PBO and auto OC turned on (see graph above for how much this helps). Verify RAM is running at it’s rated speed and timings, not the default a lot of motherboards use. Turn off SMT.

• Try only flying steam gauge aircraft. EFIS aircraft cause stutters no matter what. The larger more complex aircraft also take more CPU.

• Although some prefer not using reprojection, I find at least on my Oculus Rift S that this is the smoothest. BUT, you have to have your settings low enough that it will maintain at least framerate equal to 1/2 the refresh rate of your HMD.

• Try turning settings all the way down. I can get 80+ fps in the steam gauge airplanes if I do this, at least in sparsely populated areas (try the Cessna 152, one of the Robins, etc…). My system is a 3900x and 3090. If this still stutters a lot, then there’s another problem.

1 Like

Annnnd purchased.

Thanks for the tip!

I believe we’re a bunch awaiting your review now!

Do you mind providing some pointers agreeing with this? Because as far as I know, and I should know, XP11 multi-core tasking system is actually a reality and one of the many improvements XP11 benefits from (and not just for VR and Vulkan).

Quickly found with my search engine:

And here is the main developer blog “Threading” articles:

http://hacksoflife.blogspot.com/search/label/Threading

I am very interested (and surprised) to see those Ryzen 7 5xxx benchmarks with PBO. It will be interesting to see if these results are replicated across other benchmark reviews.

I’m not sure where that Tom’s Hardware graphic comes from though as you just give a graphic rather than linking to the original source.

The link below is to a Tom’s hardware benchmark over a number of programs. It shows that Intel have an (admittedly small) advantage in MSFS

Toms Hardware Benchmarks

Ahem!

I have eaten humble pie; my very bad. I apologise and retract my statement. Screencap showing CPU utilisation in XPL 11.51 shown here. :zipper_mouth_face:

2020-12-29 13_34_42-X-System

2 Likes

Sorry, I was just trying to save people some time I guess by just giving the graph.

No problem, my fault. Looking at the two different sets of benchmarks from different articles shows different CPUs being tested and that confused me. Ryzen 7 5800X PBO and Ryzen 5 5600X PBO were not on the first article which saw Intel ahead of Ryzen 9 5900x PBO.

Don’t want to get in to any sort of CPU war. I think no matter whether you are Intel or AMD, we can all hopefully look forward to the CPU usage of the sim being optimised over time for VR :slight_smile:

I’m getting close to 60fps using a 3080 and 5900x by turning both the render scaling and terrain detail to 50 (using TAA) and the rest of the settings mostly on low (some on medium).

1 Like

I could see that being true, however, how can you even read anything in the cockpit?

If the game isn’t at 100% for me, I literally cannot read ANYTHING.

I will try later. The AMD stuff is no longer installed, as I am RMAing the CPU. There’s something wrong with the boosting of the CPU, causing my system to black-screen, or BSOD crash when doing pretty much anything that uses the CPU to its max on the main cores. I have to either restrict the voltage, or manually cap the boosting to stop this behaviour.

So it’s going back to AMD.

1 Like

For anyone running an AMD 5800X, I have found that ANY fiddling with OCing, PBO or messing with RAM speed will eventually result in a BSOD/CTD. However I have found, with the latest BIOS update from ASUS, that if I set all bios settings to default (just one click) that it runs fast and stable. Running default uses a lot of voltage and the temps are a little higher, but it’s the setting that runs best for me, and I’ve been nonstop benchmarking my flight sims lately. In my experience, the 5800 is truly an out of the box/no fiddling gaming beast. Hot though.

This really depends on many things and is not a very accurate statement.

My system crashes or BSOD even with completely default settings in the BIOS and memory not running at the proper speed (default BIOS speeds of 2133 or 2400mhz, which really hurts CPU performance).

I am certain my chip is defective at this point because the only way to stop it from crashing constantly is to disable the boosting entirely, locking the chip to its base clock of 3800mhz, or limiting the voltage with an offset to prevent it from boosting to is full potential. Both of which are unacceptable. I have tested this on 2 motherboards, 3 different kits of ram, and 2 different power supplies.

What headset are you using? Everything is legible on a Quest 2.

HTC Vive, yeah I know this is going to hurt readability A LOT.

I’m going to pick up a Quest 2 from Best Buy soon. The rep told me on boxing day that they should get some more in on Wednesday, so I’m gonna check tomorrow.

I’d like a ReverbG2 but they are gonna be impossible to get until who knows when.

What are your temps when gaming? What kind of cooler do you have?

Hello,

Speaking of this, there’s a nice (free) tool to datalog the hardware values in a csv file :
https://www.hwinfo.com/

I used it to check my cooling profile was adequate when playing FS2020…and to confirm my 1070 is running at 100% :sob: