Test with RTX3090 and Ryzen 5900x

Holy ■■■■, that’s a lot of stutters. I have a 10900k + 3090 Asus strix. I will try to make a video comparing to yours. Since I don’t fly in NY and don’t use the A320 don’t know what to expect from my system.

1 Like

Nonetheless I had to upgrade my PC. The FPS are not really high, BUT an A320 in New York at night with rain and ultra settings is a absolute worst case scenario.

In most situation I experience very smooth framerates. I´m quite optimistic still that 3rd party developers as like PMDG, Aerosoft,… will be able to develop the Airliner in a more FPS friendly way.

Flying with the Cessna Jet in New York in this scenario give me about 40fps. So quite great for such a simulator.

Of course for now 5900x and RTX3090 might not be the best choice in regards of effiency but I always tend to get the best possible :sweat_smile: It´s my hobby. Others spend thousands of euros/ Dollars for sailing or skiing equipment.

Regards
Marco

1 Like

I´m excited to see your results but expect a major drop with the A320 :wink:

Once AMD figures out how to combine multiple cores into 1 virtual core they will be the king of PC chips for years to come.

Here you go!

I don’t know how to capture video so I used my cel phone. :slight_smile:

good vid man, your cpu as all multicore cpu’s are limited by main thread which hopefully will be fixed soon.
ur having same fps than i do with 1080p and i9-9900k, 1080ti and 32gb of ram :joy:

Which server were you using? Depending on how many multiplayers there are frames go up and down. I just changed to southeast asia from east usa and due to much much less traffic I have now at the cockpit view 43 frames. And please turn off vsync for this benchmark.

I’m curious to know what the GPU temps were during these tests.

STRIX will go to 78C with full fan speed and open tower.

Main thing I’m interested in is getting a smooth experience without stutters, not sure this can be achieved yet but hopping a bump from 2700x to 5800x will help.

It can be achieved if you make sure that you are always GPU limited, and never main thread limited. Being main thread limited causes stutters. Therefore decrease your CPU load and increase your GPU load. It’s a fine balance.

2 Likes

I have been just tracking the updates and staying current. Its been quite a ride - it seems that graphics performance (limited as it was by …for e.g. rendering screens in the cockpit/UI in flight) seems to have trended downward.

More stutters with the latest (VR) patch than I have seen thus far. Photogrammetry causes artifacts in areas that don’t have it… (pyramids and spikes), the Rolling Cache stays off, as does live traffic. Running at medium settings on a i7 6 core, 16 GB RAM, GTX 970 ( minimal specs I know) … it was flyable in vfr with the settings I just mentioned in non complex areas.

IFR issues I will leave out for the time being … staying on graphics… the sim is NOT optimized to take advantage of current hardware. That is the reality. I appreciate the complexities involved, believe me I do, but even the rig I mentioned is only 20% utilized when the sim is running. I have memory and cycles and cores to spare.

Watching the Sim boot up along with a process monitoring tool is very instructive. Now that using these tools no longer causes CTD’s I am able to tweak, but have hit the brick of wall of what is currently accessible and possible in the released product.

Any suggestions on which settings are most CPU intensive ?

Glass panel refresh rates and AI traffic (including ground planes etc). Photogrammetry takes a bite out of the CPU as well.

1 Like

Didn’t think to lower/disable ground traffic only the real world traffic, I’ll try adjusting that.

True….yeahh

As long as the game is DX11, we will deal with issues until MSFS 2030. The main core is already cramped with stuff. Right now they are taking stuff out to give room to new stuff, or trying to balance what should stay and what should go. Who was here since day one knows what I’m talking about.

Even if they introduce DX12, it will only make a difference if they rewrite the code to parallelism to use multiple main threads, which I don’t think will happen, since the code was resumed from the FX 2006. They would have to practically create a new game for DX12 (and they coded this one for years). My bet is that we are going to have performance issues until the next iteration of MSFS, unless they could share some of the load with a second main core or something.

What I agree is that a 5900X is a waste of money even for current DX12 games. Unless you render and edit on a pro / Youtuber level, the 5800X is more than enough.

The code is already multithreaded. The main thread issue is not going to go away with DX12, since this is the thread that syncs up the different workloads offloaded to other cores/threads.

I’m hoping they’ll be able to make the WASM pipeline multithreaded though, since that is currently a very limiting factor.

You should do some reading on DX11 and DX12 before saying it is multithreaded. DX11 uses only one core for the draw calls. It is a ‘single core’ application. The CPU can only communicate with the GPU through a single core. Whatever thread that the CPU is using besides the main core that is related to the GPU is a secondary task that went through the main thread first.

So no, it is not multithreaded per se, since all draw calls have to go through the main thread first. Exactly what I said. The main thread can’t take too much. Other simulators go through the same problems. It is too much data to go through a single core first. The problem is, studios like Il-2 and DCS don’t have structure to code a true multithreaded code for DX12 (there is a PDF from Intel explaining how DX12 and multithreaded code is). It is not easy.

But Asobo has Microsoft behind, then a lot of people questioned the DX11 thing. So, going back, unless they recode it, the performance issues will persist and it is going to be a matter of what do we keep and what do we take out to give room for new stuff. Il-2 has been that way for years.

With DX12, we could have several main cores, and then GPUs like the 3090 could have a dance with some powerful CPUs.

1 Like

Mind you that I’m talking about DX11 in a CPU > GPU > gaming > performance thread related.