The 1915 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny

I believe the heat blur effect from the exhaust is a bit over done and doesn’t look very believable in VR. I’d like to see this effect dialed back. Otherwise, this is a beautiful little plane in VR.

7 Likes

Agreed. In VR it looks very flat with no volume either. Would be great to have option to turn it off.

3 Likes

I agree with this. It seems over done and distracting, but overall I think it’s well done and I think I’ll fly it every so often. I might need to tweak the camera views to my liking though.

4 Likes

Yeah, the default view is definitely not ideal. VERY wide angle. I had to set a custom camera view, but when you find the right view, it’s so nice!

100% agree! I did a quick flight in the Jenny, but found this heat blur so annoying that I aborted the flight without landing. Which is a shame, because otherwise this looks like a really well-made plane!

3 Likes

Flying in VR, heat blur is very distracting. It should be toned down and more occasional. Otherwise, the plane is a great contribution!
Maybe the scale is a little off in VR: seems too big.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on the heat blur Guys, we’re looking into that one. It’s using a default Asobo effect right now which we will look to dial back.
Also the VR Camera view has been fixed our end, so expect that soon.

14 Likes

I see from your screenshot that the forward seat is unoccupied, how do you remove the forward pilot so it’s not visible from the outside?

Any chance of fixing the sound problem where the Jenny’s in MP cause other planes to hear the Jenny engine in their cockpits? I’d love to try this plane, but had to delete it, so I can use all my other planes.

It’s clearly a game bug, but seems to be triggered by something in addon planes. A310 does it in external view, as do a few Carenado planes.

1 Like

Our sound engineer is looking into this one.

3 Likes

What camera view are you in, we removed the front pilot from the default “Cockpit” camera?
If you are in External or Showcase view it will show the co-pilot.

1 Like

To put it in another way, the aircraft can’t currently lift it’s tail at stall speed (or even minimum level flight speed) when in ground effect (which should reduce stall speed).

A period manual describes the tail being lifted by the pilot after a few feets of headway in comparison. It then advices the pilot to make deliberate effort so that the aircraft doesn’t rotate too early.

I know I can use those (that’s how I got the speeds), but I’d prefer to not outside test flights. Hence the suggestion.

1 Like

From the screenshot that was posted by megadypes7635, from the external view, there’s no pilot visible in the front. I would like to replicate that from the external view but I couldn’t seem to do it. But in that screenshot it appears from the outside not to have a pilot in the front.

IMO this aircraft needs a little texture/material overhaul to be in pair with stock aircraft style/quality. I think the most needed is leather around cockpit and cork material around altimeter. Seat and wood and exterior looks good. Love the sound too.

I think I might’ve set the passenger weight to zero maybe. I can’t remember :eyes:

I just had an enjoyable 1/2-hour flight and found no faults with the plane itself. I’ve never flown a Jenny before IRL or sim but I’ve got a few decades in WW1 sims and she seemed reasonable to me. Glorious vintage bug-mashing with a built-in headwind :smiley: HOWEVER, I did notice a few indirect problems.

First off, the CG location on the in-game Weight and Balance page can NEVER be brought within limits per the display, no matter what you enter as fuel and crew weights. It ALWAYS shows the CG WAY aft of limits.

This doesn’t seem to have any effect on how the plane flies, as in the configuration show the plane was NOT fatally tail-heavy in flight and in fact flew just fine. So, whatever drives the CG display needs attention.

Another problem is that I took off cold-and-dark including the hand-propping, flew 20-odd miles, landed, and shut down to cold and dark. But my logbook shows neither a takeoff nor a landing for this. I don’t know if this is a problem with the plane or MSFS in general but I mention it so you can take a look at the plane level.

Another mild annoyance is that the direction of the elevator trim axis is backwards from most other planes in the game. So, I had to pause, go to the control options page, and reverse the direction of the elevator trim axis. Then change it back again when I flew another plane afterwards.

Also, the shadows of the many bracing wires on the fuselage are pretty un-anti-aliased with TAA and DX11.

Finally, I second those above who said the heat mirage effect of the exhaust was a bit over-done. I recommend compressing it into the diameter of the exhaust pipes and reducing it’s length to less than 12" from the end of the exhaust pipes.

But these all are minor quibbles. I quite liked the Jenny. Thanks for making her!

Hi,
Love the Jenny. However I have noticed two things in the exterior view when in VR. It may also be in pancake view.
The elevators do not move although the pitch control is normal. Please check the elevator animation in exterior view.
Second, when shutting down the engine, the prop blades disappear. This happens only when viewed from outside of the plane.
Other wise a great addition to MSFS.
Thank you!

On the other hand, the trim in this aircraft consists something to the effect of ground crew jumping in and adjusting the length of your elevator wires. Or maybe they use the cording method on the trailing edges.

In other words there is no trim, not even ground adjustable trim tab. As you probably know, given your experience with WW1 sims.

There is an old, but still useful article by Ken Glaze about learning the Jenny (then FS9) which is interesting in that it deals with common misconceptions of airplane theory, e.g. it is the “elevator” which controls airspeed and the throttle controls vertical speed, hence the term “elevator” is a misnomer! The article refers to a aerodynamics classic: Stick and Rudder by Wolfgang Langewiesche (1944). Learning the Jenny is learning to fly right.

The FS9 article by Ken Glaze:

Stick and Rudder by W. Langewiesche on archive.org (you can borrow it with a free account):
Stick and rudder : an explanation of the art of flying : Langewiesche, Wolfgang, 1907- : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Can we have an option to deactivate ground-rudder-stearing as in the original?

1 Like

It’s pretty apt for this aircraft as you aren’t hanging that far from stall speed. Less apt for some others of it’s vintage. Many early rotaries had NO throttle, only a blip switch and mixture lever.