The 1915 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny

one more Jenny paint for you to try:
3712 (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

8 Likes

Is there room for more Jennyā€™s in your hangars?

Canuck (004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

10 Likes

Lillian Boyer (January 15, 1901 ā€“ February 1, 1989) was an American wing walker who performed numerous aerial stunts that included wing walking, automobile-to-airplane transfers, and parachute jumps between 1921 and 1929.

Lillian (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Working as a restaurant waitress but eager to fly in an airplane, in 1921 Lillian Boyer was invited by two restaurant customers to take an airplane ride. On her second flight, she climbed out on the wing thus beginning her career as an aerial performer.

Lillian (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

In December 1921, she began five months of training with pilot Lt. Billy Brock, former World War I pilot and barnstormer. She performed many daring stunts and achieved great public acclaim until 1929 when federal regulations on low flying and unsafe planes forced her and many other barnstormers into retirement.

Lillian (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Her performances included 352 shows in 41 US states and Canada, most of them wing-walking; 143 automobile-to-plane changes; 37 parachute jumps (13 into Lake Erie).

Lillian (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

You can see this amazing woman in action here: [url]The Weird Thrills That Americans Pursued in the 1920s - YouTube and here: [url]F-0078 Lillian Boyer Wing Walker - YouTube

11 Likes

Iā€™ve been surprised how much I enjoy flying this plane. Itā€™s great for short sight-seeing trips. One thing though, without any airspeed indicator how do I know when Iā€™m overspeed? Using an XBOX controller Iā€™ll get vibrations, but when using a stick I donā€™t get that feedback.

Would be good to either have an airspeed gauge or some sort of buffeting sound to indicate that Iā€™m going too fast. Otherwise I have to resort to the HUD which ruins the immersion.

2 Likes

more paints slowly coming your way

kaiser (0009) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

2805 (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

6545(0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

G-CAAI (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

8 Likes

Essentially similar to how they did it in the day, take an educated guess at how fast/slow youā€™re going compared to the ground.

For me, I agree the HUD ruins the immersion and I can now take a good guess at my speed.
Also you can ā€œfeelā€ when the aircraft is about to stall in a turn or straight flight.

Itā€™s very much old school flying in this one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s probably be a lot easier with the wind in your face. But telling the difference between 60kts and 70kts isnā€™t easy in the game. Oh well, it is what it is!

I do really love this aircraft. Itā€™s well done however the hear blur already mentioned, is way over done and the strange fish eye zoomed out cockpit view (not the only add-on to do this) is annoying to change every single time.

I wish the sim itself had a way to customize default views for each aircraft. Itā€™s something that would be really handy, especially for aircraft like the Jenny and Stearman.

You can save and the load Custom Views. The saved view stays saved even after finishing flight and its the best way to correct this fisheye lens effect.

I have custom views, and I use one for the Jenny. What Iā€™m saying is that Iā€™d like a custom default view so any time you load in, you get that same view from the start without having to click anything to get it.

3 Likes

So any news on when we can expect an update to the Jenny with toned down exhaust blur effect, etc?

Iā€™m late to this thread, but Iā€™ve been flying the Jenny since it came out. It is one of my favorite planes in the game!

As the original point of this thread is to solicit feedback, I offer the following:

• I love the detail of the engine and actually like the heat blur effect just fine.
  • I really love the historic livery that matches the JN-4D in the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Iā€™ve admired it for years when visiting the museum on the National Mall, and more recently at the Udvar-Hazy Center!
  • The handling seems pretty close to everything Iā€™ve read about flying Jennies. There is a lot of adverse yaw, the ailerons are really heavy, but the rudder and elevator are relatively light and powerful.
  • I have a friend who flies the Jenny at the Golden Age Air Museum, and he says the plane is not really tail heavy in the air. A neutral or slight up trim set on the ground and then not touched during flight seems most realistic.
  • I like that the stall speed is barely less than a climb speed. It really does pay to climb at close to maximum speed with a shallow angle of attack as in these flying instructions: Curtiss JN-4D - Specifications & Operating Instructions

Changes that would be nice, in my opinion:

• It would be great to be able to get the tail up earlier during the take off. Others have commented on this.
  • It would be nice to see the pilots/co-pilot from the seat youā€™re not in. So if Iā€™m in the rear cockpit and have a passenger in front, it would be nice to see her from my position.

Thatā€™s basically it! Itā€™s a fantastic plane. It looks great, it flies well, and is a fun challenge to master. Thank you!

9 Likes

I rediscovered the Jenny today and indeed a very nice plane with great sounds.
One thing Iā€™m wondering: Isnā€™t the pilot a bit too small? When I look at videos of the real Jenny, I see that the pilot is a tad bigger.

Thanks for posting the link to the operating instructions.

As well as there being a lot of good advice for flying the Jenny (and other aircraft of the same period), ā€œImportant Hint 14ā€ could also be applied to simmingā€¦

1. Avoid that destructive disease known as ā€œtinkeritis;ā€ when the motor [or sim] is working satisfactorily, leave it alone.
1 Like

The Sim manual is posted as well. I just noticed they updated that section with recent aircraftā€¦

2 Likes

Many thanks for the feedback All.

We have made some improvements which will be coming in a future patch.

7 Likes

Requesting the following updates/corrections to the 3D rendering of the new Curtiss Jenny: the main landing gear wheel axle should be made of steel tubing (not wooden looking) and should extend one-piece all the way through the wooden landing gear spreader. The wheel axle spans all the way through the landing gear from both left and right wheels, and when on the ground, this axleā€™s up and down travel is much less than is currently simulated; please addon the aileron control cable guide fitting located on the top-right side of the center section; please note that the four horizontal stabilizer support struts are actually made from steel tubing and streamlined wooden trailing edges, both being wrapped together with fabric tape (they appear wood in the simulation?). Near as I can tell, the Curtiss Jenny 3D rendering is just about perfect otherwise! Iā€™ll try to notify all this to the MSFS Support Team. Thanks, Gary

1 Like

This exists in MSFS. The mapping is called something like Save VFR Pilot View or something similar. Go into your mappings and search ā€œvfrā€ and youā€™ll find it.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had MSFS for like 9 months and had no idea this was a thing! Thank you!

2 Likes