The 1935 Douglas DC-3

You better pass that love of RPN down because it’s like some old hand crafting skill of a bygone age that will be lost. Well at least until MSFS 2050 comes out and they are still using it. :joy:

1 Like

What’s wrong with the autopilot. It works here. It’s just HDG mode that’s a bit weird is that what you mean?

1 Like

Before it wouldn’t follow the GPS/NAV nor heading for me in the retrofit. Would not follow routes and when it dit it would make massive corrections

Mind you this is retrofit only the old one worked from day one.

1 Like

I haven’t tried GPS yet as it’s an old bird and I’ve been keeping it radio based Nav. It works well with a VOR and the one ILS I tried also went well. The heading can be made to work by binding the heading bug to external buttons as already mentioned in this thread. I’ll give GPS a try sometime but if the others are anything to go by it should be fine.

3 Likes

Found out what the problem is.
In the retrofit/GPS version of the DC-3, you can change the CDI source in the Garmin from “GPS”(default) to “VLOC”. The glideslope needle will indicate the ILS properly then.

So the Sperry gyropilot version CDI source is set to “GPS” by default, which is why it’s not showing.

1 Like

More detailed report here:

My guess is that the CDI lateral needle always uses the VLOC as source, regardless of setting.

The lateral and vertical needles use these variables so if you look at those when you are expecting a glideslope if the GSI has no number then that is the problem. If it reports as expected then its likely something else being used as an enable.

(A:NAV CDI:1, number)
(A:HSI GSI needle, Number)

UPDATE:

I take back what I said originally. While making an Air Manager instrument for the CDI I discovered the issue. I should of realised when I looked up what vars it uses. Note that the GS uses data intended for a HSI so as such is affected by the state of the CDI source (GPS or VLOC). The lateral however gets data direct from the Nav radio and therefore does not get affected by 5he source selection. This is a very poor implementation. They should be either both the HSI data or if you don’t want It to display GPS then both use the Direct Nav radio data. Hopefully Duckworks will resolve in the mod as it’s a really easy fix. I’ll raise it as an issue.
Thought I would update this in case anyone comes along after the fact. Apologies for making some assumptions along the way that turned out to be wrong.

Assigning a button to “TOGGLE TACAN DRIVES GPS” and pressing it fixes it.

3 Likes

Someone reported something somewhat similar on the Beaver thread. You have to use the tablet to display the GNS, toggle CDI and then return to a full analog NAV to get the system to work. It’s more drastic than what is going on with the DC-3, because it has no lateral (and obviously no glide slope), but the premise is the same.

Confirmed, thanks ! Precisely, the command is “TACAN_DRIVES_NAV1”.
As soon as I sent it, the glideslope needle went alive.

2 Likes

I really try to avoid making these types of posts but if the mods are still reading this thread can we please be given an idea when the update for this aircraft is coming? This is an all time historic aircraft.

It really is really frustrating for us on the Xbox having broken aircraft submitted by devs who couldn’t be bothered. The work is already done and identified with those who made mods on flightsim.to. Inibuilds is very active in the A310 thread and are on the verge of another huge positive update. Where are we with the DC-3?

4 Likes

Just a reminder: The moderators that are on the forums do not work for MS or Asobo so they won’t be able to provide an update :wink:

1 Like

Good point, it’s unfair to ask the mods. If MS/Asobo is still collecting feedback from them please pass this along.

2 Likes

I cannot pass this info along as I do not have any direct contact with MS/Asobo. I have just as much contact with the team as you do :wink:

You can pass your feedback along to Zendesk if you like.

2 Likes

This is already an official discussion thread and followed by the community managers. Stay on-topic please. Thank you.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t expect any updates until SU12. It’s an official plane, and will likely see updates during official updates. Granted, emergency updates are sometimes made in between, but not often.

1 Like

I would like to test her really but nose wheel steering did not work out at all and no one knows why? Is it a well known bug or did i oversaw something? With all other aircraft (except the b777) nose wheel steering is no problem at all.

Nosewheel steering? On a DC-3?

The DC-3 has a tailwheel that can either be locked or unlocked, but you need to use rudder, throttle and alternate breaking to help you turn it on the ground.

I am no expert on taildraggers but I seem to get it to work with a bit of trial and error. Haven’t flown this one in a while however.

5 Likes

If your using the default, then you only need rudder input to control the tailwheel. If you wish to be more realistic, then you will need the castering tailwheel mod. Then you would use differential power and braking.

3 Likes