The 1935 Douglas DC-3

A very small proportion. I haven’t seen this sentiment anywhere in a longggg time. The complaint was more why was Asobo wasting their time on xbox, but that thought disappeared a long time ago. For one, I’m super happy they released on Xbox… I just wish they put more thought into getting programming for Xbox done properly so the releases for planes could work everywhere. And I wish they had long ago created a freeware marketplace so people could get access to mods from both platforms.

It’s not AH’s fault Xbox is a nuisance to develop on. It shouldn’t be. But it obviously is.
AH’s overall attitude in their responses, yeah, not very professional. But people are people. Whether they have blocked themselves out from further contracts from MS, who knows? Business is business.

My hope is, like the Milviz contract, I hope that MS owns the plane and source code now, and will be diligent in making it better and continue to work.

2 Likes

Updated today to v0.1.9 :

2 Likes
  1. Level the aircraft using regular trim.
  2. Turn the knob below the heading cards in the GP to align the top compass card in the gyro pilot to
    match card below.
  3. When the numbers (top and bottom rotating cards) are lined up click the Autopilot ON button
  4. Click the RUD button (IN) to hold current heading.
  5. Adjust climb for level flight using the “ELE” knob.
  6. To adjust heading turn the knob below the compass cards to desired heading.
    The Blue Hydraulic handle should be forward when operating the GP.
3 Likes

6 Likes

I have corrected the locpak file in Spanish, but although I think everything is correct, I can’t get it to work well for me (some labels work but most are blank). I used the French modification as a guide. I have also updated the layout.json file, but it doesn’t work like that either. I have tried replacing the file both in the official folder, as well as in the Duckworks’ and Gotgravel’s mods.
I attach the file with the txt extension to be able to upload it here, in case someone can tell me what is wrong and if someone wants to improve it because I’m not sure about the translation of some terms.

es-ES.locPak.txt (20.2 KB)

I don’t think this is a bug so doesn’t belong in the bugs and issues section, it is an issue but IO suspect its an issue with me doing something wrong!
I love flying the DC-3, I am gradually getting better ant landing, still doing a few bouncy ones but they will get better with practice.
I have done 2 flights from Alice springs to Ayers rock using good old fashioned radio navigation, there is something very satisfying about being able to fly a distance of just over 200 miles and find a specific landmark just using a compass and radio signals. Both trips have ended in disaster.
My plan was do do 2 circles in opposing direction around Uluru and then land at the nearby airport, the first trip I managed to do my circles around Ularu but as I was heading back to the airport I noticed my speed was dropping, i pushed the throttles and props levers fully forward but they provided no power, so it was as they say a controlled flight into terrain! or was it, I mean I no longer had any control over the thrust so the outcome was inevitable. The same happened today, only this time I noticed the power dropping even before I got to start going around Uluru, this time I did notice a low oil pressure warning on my Honeycomb throttle quadrant , no indication of a problem in the cockpit that i could see, Mind you I was not checking my oil pressure gauge, so I will have to keep an eye on that. But what do I need to do to stop that from happening again?
Here’s a screenshot from my ill fated flight, just because it looks nice!

I, too, am a PC user and, yes, I also think that Flight Sim is a PC matter. I do have a colleague who has it on Xbox and that changed my opinion in that matter.

Anyway, no matter how different our opinions are or what we think on certain points, a developer that rude to customers doesn’t deserve my hard earned money. It’s a matter of solidarity.

Kind regards.

2 Likes

Well, that is indeed a change, which somehow I missed. Thanks for correcting me.

1 Like

This video by @Jonathan Beckett should suffice.

I wish, however, he’d mentioned the “cage” knob for the pitch portion. The tooltip doesn’t say change so I really can’t tell whether it’s caged or not. It seems to work either way. One way (as shown in this vid, which I assume to be “caged”, has the “airplane” symbol at the bottom and the horizon line at the top, the other way has them both in the middle like you’d expect on an artificial horizon. But like I said, it works either way, seemingly, so just worry about the white bar and remember clockwise on its knob is down and counterclockwise is up.

Does anyone know where the clickspot is for the yoke? I can’t find it! Also, I can’t see/get to the CDI dial because the yoke is in the way.

Thank you!

Well, IIRC, PMDG tried to release the DC-6 for Xbox. And that failed so badly that they pulled it from the market, gave refunds, and said it was never going to be on Xbox again. AFAIK, this remains the case today, 2 years down the road. I don’t know about the 737 as I’m not interested in that plane.

But let’s be realistic here. Undeniably, the Xbox has limited capabilities compared to a gaming PC in many different areas. Some of these areas require special code, another limits texture resolution, and seemingly others require dumbing down the code and thus limiting what can be simulated because the Xbox can’t keep track of as many variables and/or threads as a PC. I don’t know the specifics as I’m not a programmer these last 15 years or so but I know enough about the subject to understand the problem. But anyway, playing MSFS on Xbox is not going to give optimal results in a lot of cases.

So, look at this from the perspective of a developer wanting to deliver the highest-quality product possible. Xbox forces you NOT to make the highest-quality product possible, at least for that platform. Thus, you have 3 options. First, you can NOT make the product for Xbox at all and put all your (probably limited) amount of dev effort into making the PC version all it can be. Then you hopefully get rave reviews from the PC audience but get no revenue from Xbox at all. Second, you can ONLY make an Xbox friendly version which will work on PC. Then you get Xbox revenue but your reviews on the PC side will not be great and your reputation might be damaged as a result. Plus, you’ll have to sell for a lower price because the quality will not be as high as it could be on PC. Or third, you can make the best PC version you’re capable of, then pare it down for Xbox, if this is even possible (apparently it’s not for things like the DC-6). Now you have to support 2 distinct versions and you might not have the resources to do that, PLUS work on your next release. As a result, I’m not surprised that some devs, who take pride in their work, go for the 1st option, PC-only as good as they can make it, and ignore Xbox.

Really, Xbox is like an old PC, never capable of seeing MSFS in all its glory. This isn’t a slight on Xbox users (nor old PC users), it’s just the facts of life. If you want all that can be wrung from MSFS, you need a good, newish PC. Thus, IMHO, the decision to release MSFS on Xbox was so it could serve as a “gateway drug”. Xbox users who liked it enough, and realized that their experience is limited by their hardware, would then buy a PC so they could get all the goodies.

1 Like

Red sticker behind the yoke.

1 Like

I did some flights with the retro and classic Version in xbox series x. I love the plane.
But every take off and landing feels wierd. It does sometimes crazy stuff for example after take off pitching up and doing a looping. And the landings a hard to do. The plane has its own brain. Will the flight model get an actually fix ?

I haven’t read through all the posts. Just wanted to ask if others here are also having problems with takeoff and landing.
Have flown the Aeroworx DC-3 for a long time in XP11 and have never had any problems taking off or landing (not a single crash). With the DC-3 from AH in MSFS I’ve already crashed 3 times at the start. Plane took off, drifted to the left and crashed. When landing, I regularly come off the runway and end up in the grass. The tail wheel is of course fixed when landing. Which flight behavior is now more realistic? Aeroworx DC-3 in XP-11 or AH DC-3 in MSFS???

1 Like

I can’t even get above 100ft before it crashes :joy: :joy: :joy:

No problem flying here. Although trimming this thing is annoying as hell…

1 Like

Well, of course I tried to start with the same settings as with the Aeroworx (trimming, flaps, startspeed, etc.), but somehow the DC-3 reacts differently in MSFS…

Disappointed about the livery pack.
Besides Buffalo airways no one is doing actual liveries of operational DC-3s today.
Hopefully they will come like N500MF and others…

If you know or see any real-world current DC-3 liveries please chime in here. Thanks!

Oh I guess there are other ways of looking at it: you actually caught a big break when you bought a console that costs less than a decent graphics card for the PC.
Guess there’s no advantage without a disadvantage. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

This mod on PC really tames the handling of the PC DC3. No problems with TO and landings with this
mod. I like it better than Duckworks mod.

2 Likes