The 1937 Grumman G-21 Goose

I took a flight in it and had a hard time getting it off the ground, it does not fly the way I expect it to after many hours in the Big Radials Goose. Guess I’ll stick with the Big Radials one as it has become a favorite bird while this one seems meh on first impression.

1 Like

This aircraft feels extremely basic and disappointing. :frowning:

• There’s only one livery.
  • There’s no functioning radio. (???)
  • After landing on water, it’s completely uncontrollable, it doesn’t respond to any rudder input. Even worse than the default planes.
  • Engine sounds are incredibly weak and muffled, a lightyear from the payware Goose.

This simply doesn’t live up to even the base default airplanes. I don’t think I’ll use it in this state.

6 Likes

The Goose in real life relied on differential throttle for steering on the water, it had no water rudders.

The Big Radials version has invisible water rudders that can be deployed to make water handling easier since differential throttle is iffy in the sim and most people don’t have peripherals with more than one throttle axis

7 Likes

This version uses CFD whereas the BR one does not, therefore the flight dynamics are quite different. Please follow the in-sim checklists which will give you guidance on how to take off effectively without stalling. Only a small amount of back stick is required.

5 Likes

That’s my point, you can’t use differential throttle with an Xbox controller, unless you keep the camera focused on the two levers and keep clicking on them. I have a feeling that this update was filled with all kinds of third-party aircraft, whose developers didn’t really take into account whom they were developing for exactly. Asobo’s planes have set rules and requirements at least on which you can rely.

We carried out extensive testing with Xbox controllers and had no issues with take off, flying or landing on water or land. Please follow the in-sim checklists paying attention to the instructions given and use small movements on the controller sticks.

7 Likes

Anybody else have a strange, intermittent but persistent “chirping” sound in flight?

It almost sounds like a tire noise but it’s in the air, all the time.

I have the same problem on several planes. A screeching sound.
Also I have no reflections in the water of this plane

1 Like

There’s a metallic “squeaking” sound when you move the yoke sometimes that sounds like something needs to be greased, but I can at least understand where that’s coming from. The chirp is something else.

You’re right about the lack of water reflections. Just spawned it on a water runway for the first time and it’s immediately apparent.

It is also, as mentioned, completely unsteerable on the water without the use of differential throttle (which is not a practical option for a lot of people), as far as I can tell. I mean, if you’re going fast enough for the rudder to have authority you can kind of steer, if you’re satisfied with the turning circle of a battleship. For any kind of tight maneuvering that would be necessary for actually docking the thing, forget it.

She is a noisy bird. This happens on all planes of a certain age with rumbling radial engines. Sometimes it vibrates the whole frame and causes high pitched, rhythmic, chirping sounds.

I will have to spend more time in this one, but you get similar reports about the 3rd party Goose.

And, in general, you may want to reduce RPMs to reduce vibrations and quell that obnoxious noise.

2 Likes

I own the third party Goose and there is nothing like this sound. It’s not rhythmic, it’s completely random, but it’s continuous. I can’t go 5-10 seconds without hearing it.

1 Like

I’ll spend more time in it. It is a Goose. I will put my hours in. But like I said, she is a squeaky bird. Try reducing RPMs until you get that trademark waspy buzz.

1 Like

I’ve noted to go through with our sound engineer on the “chirping” noise.

5 Likes

flies like a wet dishcloth which I gather was about normal. I love this as it means at last a plane with complete different characteristics. Taking off from water a bit of a challenge but all good.

8 Likes

hahaha love this!!!
Thanks

2 Likes

I like the flight model too. With a little rudder input she wakes up and flies more agile.

2 Likes

The Goose has long been my favorite plane and so far I am really liking this. The heavy, lumbering nature is present as is her surging agility. Different enough from the other Goose to keep room in the hangar for both. So far, really impressed.

2 Likes

Had a quick fly around earlier and can confirm that using differential throttle definitely helps with trimming out for level flight and I was able to do some doughnuts on the spot in the water, which was quite fun.
Using a t.16000 and only have a small slider for throttle control, but with headtracking and a mouse it was easy enough to tweak the individual throttles.

Overall seems like quite a nice addition and great to see that the flight model utilises the latest CFD.

1 Like

Does this plane has interior lights?
And also during take off, this plane goes crazy, tends to roll its left. how can avoid that?

1 Like

Set the rudder trim (I posted a screenshot above) and no, there are no cockpit lights.

2 Likes