The 1947 Havilland DHC-2 Beaver

I have some issues to land the beaver taildragger. When i slow down after landing the plane makes sharp turns and drifts sometimes? Is it bcs i brake to much?

No matter what I try, I cannot seem to get the Autopilot to engage at all. Is this a known issue? Or is there some trick to getting the heading and-or altitude hold to work?

No Autopilot works fine here.im on Xbox

1 Like

Thanks. Okay, Iā€™m on PC, MS Store edition. Maybe itā€™s an isolated issue, or Iā€™m just not operating it properly.

Seems to work fine for me, preselecting Altitude and setting the heading bug to runway heading before take off.
After take off I simply select heading on the AP and adjust Vertical Speed to what I require.
Switching over to NAV mode, tracking VORs etc have also worked for me.

This is a really nice plane to handfly though, so I only use the AP occasionally.

1 Like

Not at all, whatsoever you stress the engine or even pushing it to the red flaps full down you get any sanction, any damage, any impact on the envelop.

Milviz did a great job for the C310r imo in terms of realism, flight model, Wear & Tear that make this bird alive but the Beaver for Xbox and letā€™s say PC as well, has nothing comparable to the usual high level quality of Milviz airplanes.

Letā€™s say that when you used to fly the bird on Xplane REP Simcoders (REP = Wear & Tears, POH etc) it imposes you to take some minutes in order to prime the engine based on several internal and external factors, to care about the engine based on POH, to make some trainings before landing the bird safely even with no wind, this is the reason why as a RL pilot I wonā€™t never jump in a Beaver right away pretending that I know how to fly this plane before getting some lessons and instructions.

On Xplane 11 when the Beaver/ REP simcoders was released we were many of us to follow tutorials from real Beaver Pilots in order to T/O and Land the plane correctly because it demands some time to master that legendary bird.

The version that was released is just to ā€œenjoyā€, it is a very very casual version (same for the DC3), so easy to fly because many users want to CTR+E to start the engine and to fly directly the plane. The ā€œrealā€ simulation one imposes you to wait on the ground 10/13 min to start, to warm the engine before taxiing, like in real lifeā€¦
But are we patient enough to enjoy the simulation of the reality or we just want to fly right away once we are on the tarmac the engine already started?

There are some great devs in this community, maybe theyā€™ll create a Mod step by step to make it realistic as much as possible, because flying Bush planes in MSFS is such a great adventure!

My two and half cents :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

Have you installed the WT mod? Iā€™m not sure they are compatible.

2 Likes

You can define custom views on Xbox as wellā€¦look it up.

You cannot change the quickviews but you have 10 possible custom views as well.

1 Like

Eureka!!! Yes, that was the issue!! I disabled the WT addons I had, and now the AP works perfectly. Thanks for your helpful tip!!! :sunglasses: :+1:

Interesting and handy aircraft; only Iā€™m not able in setting the NAV function in the autopilot to track a VOR course. Other APā€™s functions are OK.

What happens when you try? Does it not intercept the course and keeps flying in another mode?
I need to have another go at it, but it worked fine last time I checked.

YES, exactly this behaviour. I will try to remove Working Titleā€™s mods (G3000/5000 and CJ4) from the Community folder, as suggested by @ScottS87 , and weā€™ll see.

3 Likes

Mainly the WT 430 530 seems to be the conflict.

Even if from the EFB you choose not to use them?

I havenā€™t tried every single imaginable troubleshoot.

This video helped me alot with take off/landing the beaver and dc3. Now the planes are more controllable at least for me

3 Likes

I found this yesterday:

I had the same problem with both planes.

TLDR: Apply some thrust to keep it straight. Bleed off speed slowly.

1 Like

Yes, but itā€™s a huge pain in the butt to both set up and use unless you have a keyboard. Custom views arenā€™t what I want. I just want correct quickviews.

1 Like

I watched the video but the other video,which i post earlier, helped me more with taildragger landings.the guy explain really good what you should do

1 Like