The 1947 Hughes H-4 Hercules

sc1
Here is what I have in my community right now

Interesting, none of the addons in your community folder should interfere with the hercules, but to be on the safe side the best thing to do is to copy and move the contents from your community folder and see if that fixes this issue.

Erm, did you use some flight recording/playback tool for your recording (Sky Dolly or similar)? ā†’ Such tools may have some trouble on replay when it comes down to effects :wink:

1 Like

I donā€™t have or have used anything different than what you see in my community folder. Sometimes fs2020 just beez like that . I probably have a JPEG file somewhere that has a corrupt pixel on one of my three drives. That pixel is probably upset at my Nvidia driver. The whole negative situation on that side of my computer is probably interfering with flight simulator and creating this.
I hope my lame humor is coming across because what else is there to say at this pointā€¦lol

This is correct. I was just visiting the real Spruce Goose this past weekend and the docent on my cockpit tour noted that during Howardā€™s flight it had 4 throttles, each controlling a pair (the flight engineer kept the pairs in sync) but it was later switched to 8 throttles for the PIC station (each labeled H or E for hydraulic or electronically controlled throttle - weirdly, throttle #8 has no H or E marking - EHEHHHE-)

2 Likes

So, most of the issues/requests has been solved/added yet, these features will be brings in the next update.

here is the list:

Solved issues:

• Green nav rotation
  • ATC/ICAO params
  • VR ā†’ Yoke was interacting as a stick
  • Prop animation issue on one side of the aircraft
  • Clipboard/EFB items missing check once clicked
  • Oil pressure and fuel pressure light warning lights on display on startup not when actually below a threshold.
  • Weight and Balance screen contains debug text
  • Hydraulic system is reactivated on control surface
  • CHT, Oil, Radiator temperatures have been adjusted
  • The blurred propellers no longer cast shadows.

Added features:

• Hideable avionics ā†’ GNS 530 / GTR 225 / GTX 330
  • Hideable Autopilot ā†’ KAP 140
  • New Clipboard/EFB design

New Clipboard/EFB design:

23 Likes

Awesome!!! Looks great

1 Like

Thank you very much @BlueMesh3192 for this list and the communication, itā€™s really appreciated! :slight_smile:

Another thing I noticed (which might have been overlooked in my report) especially on my higher ratio screen (21:9) is that if you look at the aircraft from the front and zoom out further than 100% the emissive material/mesh disappears which will left just the light effect in place :wink: during daytime itā€™s just an invisible dot when it comes down to the landing lights.

Maybe it would be a good idea to at least put emissive meshes also on to the next further away LOD of the exterior to avoid this to happen :slight_smile:

As usual this is just a suggstion ofc. but Iā€™d like to be able to see the lights on the pontoons struts too in full glory :wink:

1 Like

Is there clickable controls for prop RPM anywhere? I have control combination on pad bound for Inc, and Dec RPM but the sim likes to drop an engine, or two out of phase with the others.

I canā€™t speak to the controls but let me share some of my thoughts on this. thee entire idea was it would take as little effort as possible to keep your RPM in the proper place. The mechanical synchronizes took care of RPMS across all the engines, based on a master engine either 2 or 3. Since the manual is post flight I can only guess that the white lever present on the day on the left side controls the synchronizer. The lower switch on the pedastal with Hi/Lo on it I belive is the manual over ride that will put the props in either maximum or minimum position. The switches on the engineers panel are momentary switches to make smaller adjustments. At max power the propellers are vibration limited. In looking at the checklists I would surmise that for the most part the engines functioned as constant speed props. But in situations like engine run up for instance the Lo setting could be selected. I canā€™t read all the settings for different cruise power settings but it seems the ability to set them was important. Itā€™s also my understanding that the mixture was automatic, sorta like in in the DC-3 with a cruise setting of ā€œAuto Leanā€ and then MP and RPMS set from there. Iā€™ve included a page from the Hercules Manual.

Today I flew a multiplayer flight with several Hercules, but to me they all appeared to be generic A340ā€™s. Any ideas what may have caused this?

Is ā€œGeneric Models for AI/Multiplayer Aircraftā€ off in the General Options menu?

(General Options ā€”> Traffic)

Good question, I will need to check.

Am I incorrectly assuming that the sim should correctly show a standard plane that everyone has even if ā€œgenericā€ models are selected?

For example, there was a C172 in the multiplayer flight that showed correctly to me.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a general issue with model matching on SU11 at the moment which mostly affects live traffic but also multiplayer (both use the same logic) - it has nothing to do with the aircraft itself usually.

BlueMesh thank you for this amazing looking and beautifully flying machine! Itā€™s a joy to use on Xbox Series X/S, just like your Ryan NYP. I love the sounds and water effects on take off/landing.

2 Likes

Good point!

Maybe thatā€˜s why the airplane never went into production.

:wink:

duck and cover

Maybe this helps:

ā€žCold and darkā€œ is supported, too. The ā€ždefault locationsā€œ include the (estimated) original starting location of the Goose as well.

Nose doors. I think I mentioned this up the post. But here is a model showing how that would have worked. Itā€™s important to remember the aircraft we have is research test bed and prototype.
Spruce Goose Howard Hughes Evergreen Aviation Museum (12)

1 Like

Actually this tip does work with the Hercules !!

I simply started the aircraft at Meigs Field at the gate (added with the 40th Anniversary Update) and pressed Y to go into slew mode and it happily slewed out to the adjacent water.

Was able to ā€˜Cold an Darkā€™ though I found a lot of the checklist items already enabled eg. Fuel Pumps already ON etc.

Either way thanks again !! What an awesome addition to this magnificent sim to be able to experience what it was like to fly this behemoth ā€¦

1 Like

There actually is another option if not on Xbox: some add-on freeware ports have the correct parking space types for seaplanes in place which is ā€œDOCK_GAā€. Starting there will also being cold & dark.

Anyway most automatically generated seaplane bases in MSFS do not use this parking type so third party scenery is what one is looking for.