The 1947 Hughes H-4 Hercules

Oh??

I’ve got an axis for prop RPM. Since the aircraft doesn’t have an axis itself, do I need to be using buttons, instead?

It’s not responsive to my RPM axis changes.

Yes, try to assign it to buttons (increase rpm, decrease rpm). It works on my Xbox controller.

I just tried with my keyboard bindings for increase/decrease, but I see no change.

(Yes, I’m back up here in the skies with her again)

1 Like

I will check it later, last time I’ve flown this big bird was a month ago.

There might be some changes in the beta also. Im on public release.

1 Like

I have an axis on my joystick assigned and it works just like in other aircraft.
Confusingly I can even here a squeeling sound of some rotaty control in the virtual cockpit although the prop RPM was controlled by switches/butons in the original aircraft… :grinning:

1 Like

Are you flying the beta version?

I’ve got no propeller action here, at all. None of the controls on the model react to mouse clicks/manipulation, either. If I turn on tooltips, they don’t have callouts, other than the Flight Engineer’s station where the prop switches are labeled “Inoperative”.

No, I fly the regular version.
Bad to here the update may brake that function. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I have a set up for the Honeycomb setup I use. One thing missing from the video is I have the cowl flaps bound to buttons as well.This may be of use :slight_smile: Honeycomb Flight Controls in the H-4 Hercules MSFS - YouTube

Yes I understand that the appearance of modern avionics can mar the vintage look of the aircraft.
Unfortunately, a lot of people do not read the information that can be found in the cockpit. That’s why by default I have left the avionics displayed, (feature which has been much requested), to show that it has been added.
This can be quickly hidden from the clipboard in any case. If it is really annoying I could hide it by default in the next update.
Concerning the management of the propeller, I was waiting for some explanations from the museum. I think that @EightyApollo104 , our expert :grin:, will be able to bring me the necessary informations to add the desired features in next updates.

4 Likes

The biggest issue with the modern avionics comes when doing the Activity that is the historic 1947 flight at Long Beach.

It’s pretty weird (wrong?) to see all those modern components when doing this activity.

I appreciate your considering it and being open to discussion!

Thanks for the kind words @BlueMesh3192 . Funny, I’ve been working on that. Hercules Tech #3: Propeller Synchronization Implementation - YouTube

2 Likes

You are absolutely right! i will ask the dev wich is working on missions to set the value to 0 and hide the avionics. Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just spent a few hours flying the Hercules and was very much wishing for modern avionics. Then I saw screenshots here… How do I enable them?

Also would it be possible to get an engine hour meter somewhere? Perhaps if it’s a realism issue, added to the clipboard?

You wait for SU12’s release. It will be included as part of the update.

You could join the beta, now, but there isn’t much point two+ days away.

1 Like

Thanks! Good to know.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your hard work. The plane was amazing to fly even before the update. Now with the implementation of the Autopilot and the other features… WOW! the sky is truly the limit. A HUGE THANKS!

3 Likes

Perhaps a quick fix in the future to enable the propeller controls in the current version as they were in the previous version could be considered. For myself I’m flying an extensively modded Goose so my milage is a bit different.

1 Like

Did my first flight after SU12. And yes: Prop control is not functioning anymore. :frowning:
But the cowl flaps on engine 2, that I reported here, were fixed.

Another thing I noticed is that some temperatures are now higher the pre SU12, I think. Until now I could fly with cowl flaps fully closed (as noted in the checklist someone provided) and all temperatures were very low (I´m not an expert, but they seemed to low IMHO). Now cylinder temperature is at max when I close the cowl flaps completely.
Oil temperatures were also to high, as far as I can remember, but as the oil cooler flaps don´t work there is no chance to change that.

2 Likes

They were altered as a part of SU12. During the beta I reported that they seemed to have been alter to to be too high. I noted similar temperature behavior as you with the cowl flaps and oil.

I reported this, but the bug was closed, indicating no fix at this time.

There’s a rabbit hole to dive down. In my own testing I’ve noticed #1 runs at a higher RPM too, even at the same MP. As for the cowl flaps the climb checklist notes “Cowl Flaps - CLOSE as cylinder temperatures permit” The During Flight checklist notes the following:
5. Adjust Cowl Flaps as necessary to maintain proper cylinder head temperatures

1. Engine Operating Limits -
    Oil Pressures above 2000 rpm - 80 psi
    Oil Pressures above 1600 rpm - 65 psi
    Oil Temp 85 C
    Cyl Head Temp 218C
    Fuel Pressure 25±1psi
    Carb Air Temp 38C to 10000 feet
    Carb Air Temp 15C above 10000 feet
3 Likes