The area around Old Warden Bedfordshire UK from a 112 yr old aeroplane

The famous Bleriot type XI (paid addon from Wing 42) seen here above the trees (an achievement in itself) in full flight at all of 35-ish knots - its mighty 27 horse 3.5 litre 3 cylinder engine spluttering away. Behold the Victorian plumbing and woodwork and canvas covering - magic - great fun!

6 Likes

It’s a shame Old Warden isn’t included in the airfields - it would be a perfect base to fly it from!

It is but only at standard default quality - unless of course I misunderstood and you meant it’s a shame it’s not one of the enhanced ones?
I suspect that Orbx will port over their Old Warden addon at some point. :+1:

1 Like

I’ve definitely not got it in my installation - had to head from Duxford towards Cranfield and veer of a bit just over halfway. The map does not show it and a search for either Old Warden or Shuttleworth doesn’t bring anything up.

I believe the code for the airfield is EGTH, I think it is also referred to as Biggleswade, but the layout and location are correct.

Aah, there we are - blinded by the obvious! They call it ‘Hatfield’, which was actually about 30 miles away. I never thought to look at that one and see if it was Old Warden.

2 Likes

Well you wouldn’t…

1 Like

Yes, like you ppl have said - Old Warden is there jut misnamed as Hatfield. Despite being default it doesn’t look too bad. At least it doesn’t have way-too-tall hangars like some small airfields. Plenty of trees though and a slight hill nearby - mighty obstructions to an Edwardian aviator’s flying machine eh what.

I have found that with both the pre-flight map and the VFR in flight one it seems to take a couple of zooms in/out before some smaller airfields show up. Before my Bleriot flight from Old Warden I flew from there right at the start of this sim to see what it was like. I am sure it was correctly named back then. Anyway its in the right place (I wonder what they call Hatfield since this is now it in the sim)