The Art of Richard Ten Eyck - Cessna Concept Artist

I used to repaint a lot in FSX and P3D. Specifically Cessnas. I became fascinated with a gallery on flickr about 8 years ago - a scanned library of illustrations from Richard Ten Eyck, Cessna concept artist, and influential industrial designer in the 40’s and 50’s.

Today I was thinking about starting a MFS repaint (my first) and for inspiration, did my usual browse of aircraft for-sale listings. Meh. Ugly RV graphics on a plane. Gross. So I went to look for Eyck designs, and they were all gone! The gallery has been purged. Not sure if it was a copyright violation, or something else.

Then it hit me - I had downloaded the entire gallery back in 2013, for reference. So after some hunting and mounting and unmounting of HDDs, I struck gold. Considered posting the gallery somewhere, but I am a bit hesitant. For legal reasons, and for the fact I have a secret stash of inspiration that’s not widely accessible. My preciousssss.

But I like to share. Here’s a sample, and a thumbnail gallery. If you have a request, I will post a specific scan. Just use the coordinate system - A2, D10, H7, etc.

3 Likes

I too, have some old IDE and SCSI drives I would love to dig back through for treasures like these.
Nice save.

1 Like

Concept artist for Cessna. What a dream job. Nice post.

1 Like

Total dream job. I wish they put that kind of thought and creativity in to aircraft liveries these days.

Got to admit the concept art looks better on the Hawk XP. The 172s Skyhawk is a little on the chubby side.

1 Like

Yeah a little chubby. Profile just not as aggressive. Paint looks fantastic though!