The B787 Has Improved Dramatically via the Heavy Mod

hi guys
i have just upgraded my msfs to premium something version
do you recommend this heavy mod? is it still being developed like FBW?

It is, but it’s a much smaller team, so it’s not moving as fast as FBW.

But it’s still very much recommended - it’s better than flying the vanilla default.

1 Like

Have used this mod no problems previously. However doing a flight now with it reinstalled on my new computer and entering in the icao coses on the fmc wouldn’t work. Other stuff was ok but not that!

even with this mod installed, so many buttons are inactive around the cockpit. I hope they speed up the modification. this plane is gorgeous

@cenkcdemir Speed up what modification? The mod developer cannot add or change animations. The 787 is encrypted.

Or are you talking about Asobo?

no i mean inop buttons to work

For inop buttons to work the developer would have to be able to change the model, which is impossible. This is adding animations to the buttons. Not possible

Does it apply to all the Asobo planes?

Not for the basic package. Only for deluxe and premiere aircraft. Many config files will be decrypted for SU 10, but the models will stay encrypted. So some things will become changeable but not everything.

There are many other threads on this topic in the forum with more information.

I have a question about VNAV (using the 787 Heavy division mod).

It works very well during descent, when I keep VNAV enabled the whole time. But I have a problem when e.g. ATC lets me descent before the TOD. Then I start the descend in V/S (or FLC) mode. Later on if I have descended below the VNAV glide path and want to re-enable VNAV again, the aircraft suddenly starts to climb again. Even though the altitude that I have set in the MCP is still lower than the altitude I’m currently flying. I would expect it to continue the descent on the VNAV glide path as soon as it intercepts it again.

Is this a known problem or am I missing a step?

I’ve seen a few issues with VNAV and stepped descents especially if you move out of VNAV mode and then back in. I’m used to flying VNAV on PMDG 737, so 787 mod seems a bit flakier with VNAV to me especially nearing approach. Sometimes it works othertimes I have to override/intervene. It is what it is. Still better than default.

1 Like

I’m not sure what is flaky about it. I’ve seen videos where actual 787 pilots fly with this mod and they have no complaints. I would think that they would be the best authority, don’t you?

I have heard a British 787 pilot saying that they are flying VNAV until FL240. At FL240 they are going to FLCH with something between 290 and 310 knots. It depends on the airline policy if the pilot needs to use VNAV all the way down.

1 Like

Correct… VNAV in Asobo planes is by no means 100% perfect, yet.

1 Like

So it’s an Asobo thing rather than a mod thing. Yet the mod gives you much more function in fmc to work with your vnav path etc.

I mean it could be a bit of user issue and Asobo issue. I don’t have any issues w/ VNAV on PMDG plane or Fenix plane… and usually the 787 heavy works perfectly for me, but it also depends if user set the transition level properly in VNAV, etc.

1 Like

Hi, I am a little bit confused about the heavy mod. I downloaded the most recent release (0.1.14?) and unpacked the folder in the community folder. When I start flight simulator and choose planes I only see the standard Vanilla 787. I don’t even know what to expect. Is there supposed to be a separate plane to choose from, like the FBW 320, or is it just the one from Asobo which will be modded when the Heavy Division folder is in the community folder. If the latter is the case, how can I confirm that that the mod is working ingame? Because I don’t notice any difference…

Thanks!

on the FMS you have an additional key “heavy” !

1 Like

It just mods the default aircraft. Just launch the 787.

1 Like

Another question in regard to the heavy mod: Can I plan flights with the world planner in the Flight Simulator or do I have to use SimBrief? I prefer to do MSFS world planner for quick runway to runway flights. I don’t always want to start in a dark plane and do everything. Once in awhile I like to go through the whole process, but I don’t always have time and kinda like the convenience of just flying from runway to runway choosing a high or low altitude IFR flight from A to B without spending 20 min in the cockpit before takeoff…