The B787 Has Improved Dramatically via the Heavy Mod

It depends on the plane. Some of the more expensive third party jets only import from SimBrief, although there are workarounds. But most allow you to use the World Map.

I wanted to know in regard to the 787 heavy mod. Because the write in their documentation to use SimBrief.

Yes you should be able to. But the question remains, why not try it and see?

Why has the Asobo (and Heavy Mod) 787 in MSFS only 3500 NM range and 7 hours endurance? That seems a little of from the real specs.

How did you determine the range and endurance of either version of the plane?

Stats in the plane menu:

As I recall, the Heavy mod does not change those stats, but the plane does fly differently. I would suggest you try flying both of them to see what the actual range is. As for the default 787, I would not be surprised that Asobo has the wrong figures set in the config files. That’s one of the things the mod improves

So, I tried tonight and I was not able to get a plan into the Heavy Mod from MSFS World Map. Works fine when I am not using the map. That’s a bummer…

Weird thing is that the flight plan is in the FMC but when I go to the nav screen there is nothing in plan or anywhere. no waypoints nothing. But in the FMC I see all waypoints that I got from the route I planned in the World Map.

I could have sworn I was able to do it in the past. Maybe there is a setting somewhere in the heavy mod that needs to be changed.

that screenshot was with heavy mod installed. range and endurance don’t change either way, with or without mod.

You’re not understanding me. The range numbers won’t change. But the actual range will. Do you understand? The range numbers shown there do not reflect what the plane can actually do in the simulator.

Understood :wink:

Yes, understood.

Well said mate, my sentiments exactly. I have spent too much time stuffing around with the 787 and just fly the FBW A320 and Headwind A330 now. Have found the new A310 to be a fine aircraft.
On that subject, just noticed an Enhanced version of the A310 on Marketplace for free, but since downloading it, and when loaded into the sim, it CTD when inputtting airport TO and FROM details in the INIT page.

2 probably very stupid questions. I downloaded liveries from flightsim.to and they only work for the default not the heavy mod. Should these liveries be working with the mod?

Second, is there a way to set panel states with this? It starts with everything running and it would be nice to get it started with everything powered up but engines off instead of shutting it down manually.

If your useing experimental version livery creators need to update for it to work.

Id suggest stable build at the moment

Yep that was it thanks!

1 Like

Gave the experimental version a try after over a year and I had a nice experience in VR. Feels great to sit in this beautiful cockpit, no issues with ILS approach. Decent via Flch and VS, no problem. Simbrief integration worked very well.

1 Like

First flight in the Heavy Division mod today. Development version. Not too bad, but for my landing. I don’t think my left wing survived whatever flight model bug caused me to scream down the runway on only one of the mains :laughing: From what I’ve been told on Discord, I’m not supposed to get too upset with wild landings. It’s just a thing that happens.

Anyway, it was a very bug free 8 hour flight with no performance degradation. FPS stayed high, no stutters. The “Lost ATC voice” bug made a visit, but that’s not a Heavy problem.

LNAV/VNAV worked well. Auto throttle was smooth. Simbrief import was easy. ILS capture was fine. I really liked using the HUD during landing after disconnecting auto pilot. The flight path vector and overlayed ILS guidance on the HUD was great.

It kind of reminds me of the early FlybyWire A32NX. All of the critical main systems working, but a lot of ancillary systems still INOP. I hope Asobo shows the plane model some love in AAU2.

Can anyone tell me how the 787 HD compares to the updated 787 coming up for release? As far as features, vnav, ils app, simbrief integration etc.

2 Likes