The community hate

The night lights have NOT been ‘screwed up’

1 Like

They have, and it looks atrocious. Scaling down rendering is not an option for me if I have a high end card and display. It worked before…

2 Likes

The hate comes from extremely small but vocal minority. We just need to learn to stop paying attention to them. They will always find something to whine about, ctd, graphics, clouds, performance etc. They just can’t stop whining.

The game is as good as never currently. But no matter how good it is you’ll see people complaining. The more popular the game the more you’ll see that happening.

7 Likes

Personally I’m pretty level-headed. When I don’t like something I will let it known however I do know boundaries.

1 Like

Absolutely its not unique, but its better moderated elsewhere. I can count on one had problems we had over at fsdeveloper.com or minasi.com (tech forum) because of better moderation and warning systems on forum and live chat. That was full of opinionated techs too… so a difficult crowd.

The art of disagreement is lost here.

2 Likes

But that’s your opinion and calling anyone that doesn’t agree with that a “senseless hater” is a bit of a stretch.

People have the right to complain as much as you have a right to praise it.

3 Likes

Welcome to 2021. Society in general is going mad, not just gamers who fly simulators. At some point we as people need to learn to respect each other again in order to go forward and do great things.

12 Likes

I have to say that I sure am glad I didn’t spend $5k on a killer gaming system, only to find out that the sim is artificially limited so that performance from Xbox specs is the best you’ll get. It’s like the new iPad pros. Come to find out that all that RAM means nothing because they artificially limit memory available to each app. So yeah, anyone that’s maxing out their killer system on other games, only to find out they could have just gotten an $800 Xbox and have the same performance with MSFS, they’re understandably frustrated.

Now, how best to express that is another matter.

5 Likes

Doesn’t really matter how happy or unhappy I am with the state of the sim, that doesn’t really change my attitude. It’s a video game. ■■■■ happens. Making video games is hard. I don’t take it personally when something doesn’t work the way it’s intended.

My render scale is set to 90%, so I have been experiencing issues with night lighting. The solution was to check to see if anyone else was having the same issue. Turns out they were, and Asobo is already aware of it and Jummivanna already made a statement about it. So for now I just won’t fly at night until the issue is fixed.

What is there to be angry about?

1 Like

What’s amazing is that after all these years, people still don’t really understand how social media works.

The most important thing to remember is that these platforms are designed to play on a person’s desires to be “heard” and to amplify that sentiment to everyone else.

If you’re not happy with how some of the users are behaving on here, the best thing you can do is IGNORE THEM! Don’t engage with them at all. Don’t respond to their posts. If they don’t feel they’re being heard by anyone, they’ll go away. Whenever someone responds to them, the thread goes right back up to the top of the list and everyone who’s following gets notified and this just invites more vitriol. So just ignore them.

And tbh, a thread like this is almost guaranteed to invite negativity so it’s probably not a good idea to create threads like this if you’re really interested in keeping the forums civil.

3 Likes

yup. this.

2 Likes

The problem is not so much expressing frustration, the problem is some come across very hostile. I was not a happy camper when SU5 released however I didn’t express my frustration in a hostile way.

5 Likes

It is all relative to the person in question.

I have a hard time understaning how people can cry over tree that is being cut down. But to somebody else that is their passion and desire.

If simming is once life and passion one need to understand that from that perspective.

I am too old to be angry at stuff like this, I just turn off the sim if something brakes it or CTD and try again later. I move on but I am sure I am the minority

3 Likes

There is a finnish song from the 80s, kinda humorous, whose verse goes like “Minä ekaksi minä heti mulle heti kaikki tänne nyt!” Translated “Me first me right now to me everything right now here now!”

Kind of describes rather perfectly the sentiment of many in the game forums today. I have found myself humming the song in my head quite often when I’m visiting this forum.

4 Likes

Ignoring is not always possible. Going onto a Discord channel to say hi and ask a civil question, then being spoken to like a piece of dirt is not acceptable. It needs moderation and control. That is for those in power here to figure out and implement better systems to deal with it.

The thread is not to invite negativity. This IS negative. The post is to potentially raise the awareness to those in control that the community surrounding the product is not good. ((And yes, it’s the vocal few)

2 Likes

(not to mention that the Xbox app has always been required. It kind of worked without it I think, but, technically it’s been required all along. I learned that back in October when I had some login issues when my install hiccuped.)

@MrMaestroIRL I totally agree. As great as the internet is, like the media we see over the airwaves, the “social interaction” apps are the exact opposite of social or promoting society, because normal decorum that people would have sitting across a bar room table are not the norm, and humans are naturally drawn to mayhem.

Hopefully, we find a way to evolve past this. Otherwise, it will be our downfall.

2 Likes

It is possible, it just takes self control.

And Discord is kind of a different animal in the way it’s designed so I suppose moderating that would be more difficult than a traditional forum like here

And yes, a thread such as this will do nothing other than invite those same users everyone’s complaining about to come voice their opinions here, therefore continuing the cycle.

If you want to promote positivity, create threads about successful flights, or a new point of interest you discovered, or a challenge you achieved perhaps.

I am one of those “XBOX” players of MSFS2020. I can say that I was very excited to get this on the Series S. Initially, I found the forums to be welcoming once I joined and introduced myself. When I’ve had reasonable questions, on average I get a reasonable answer. However, with each update, or talks about an update, I have noticed an increased “hatred” towards folks who are playing this game/sim/whatever on the XBOX. The interesting part is that some of the problems being expressed by PC players are some of the same problems that we are experiencing on the XBOX. XBOX players are being blamed for those problems, I guess because it’s become a convenient thing to do. I grew up loving aviation, had a chance to go to San Jose State and get a degree from a school that had/has one of the best aviation programs that I know of, and I wish I had. I love the fact that a small airport in Vacaville, California is available for me to fly to or from (because we used to stop there on the way to visit my grandparents, the airport used to have a huge aviation related book store that is no longer there), as well as an small airport in Hayward, California near where I grew up (a Marine Corp Reserve fighter wing had F4 Phantoms they flew out of there in the 70s and up to a point in the 80s). I don’t know if I’m “doing it right” by playing on the XBOX and to be honest, I don’t care. I try and enjoy MSFS2020 as much as possible, learn from any mistakes I make, get perplexed when things go wrong (especially when I don’t know/understand what caused it). I’m cautiously optimistic that we will get more improvements moving forward. To the devs and anyone else involved in the game, I thank you very much. You have made me feel like a kid again who loved learning about planes (and the space program too), it’s something that was missing from my life and I didn’t even realize it.

14 Likes

Please don’t take the numbskulls who complain about it being a “game” and “xbox is for gamers” seriously.

If those people knew anything about flight simming, they’d realize this is a flight sim as good as any other, the best at the moment in my opinion. I have my license, and flying semi-regularly at the moment, and love that I can practice my flights in the sim, and am blown away by how realistic it is. Sure, it needs some work, but, they (Asobo) are flat out doing it, care deeply about their product, and totally listening to the community.

I dated a women who used to fly out of Vacaville with her late husband. He was ex-Air Force, and used to fly the B-25 with the Collings Foundation. :slight_smile:

Welcome to the club, and have a blast. And ignore the haters. Like the world around us, they seem to be everywhere, but, in reality they are a minority who seem to not recognize that it’s their responsibility to find happiness, not anyone else’s.

I think the sales of the product were something like 1.5M as of December, so I can’t even imagine how many people have purchased the product by now. The number with actual problems is I imagine quite small, and, often, it’s due to their not being aware of something.

4 Likes

Enabling an open polling system on the forum could help to see the number of satisfied / happy users or show the relevance of a particular error without the need for unnecessary discussions, anger, disputes, etc.

… but Microsoft deliberately turned off the user polling system because then everyone would clearly see the current level of product quality, which is extremely low.

1 Like