The Manual Cache Should Be Redesigned From the Ground Up, Possibly Connecting Designing a Flight Plan With Manual Caching if Desired

To further add to my original post, once you download a very large cache and decide to view it with regard to what you’ve got, WATCH OUT.

The next day after the download, I launched MSFS and went to the General Options, Data Section, picked VIEW for the manual cache. Nothing happened for about 5 minutes. Then a PLEASE WAIT, Updating Cache flashed on the screen. Instead of individual named caches, there was only an ALL REGIONS box checked (“Oh, No!,” I thought. “My 45 Gb Manhattan region has been trashed!” The waiting for the Updating Cache continued for at least another 25 minutes. Then when it was done, the individual named cache regions were displayed (the All Regions was gone). I checked Manhattan and tried to view it. Thirty Minutes went by and NOTHING happened. I finally did Ctl+Esc to reveal my Taskbar in Windows and right-clicked to close the MSFS app via its Taskbar icon and haven’t bothered trying to look at the Manual Cache again.

What’s wrong here is when you pick VIEW manual cache, Microsoft should not be so presumptuous as to force you to wait through an update. At the very least one should get a pop-up to the effect that an update is available, do you want to update now? Or separate manual cache buttons for View and Update. Manual Cache is a torture machine almost as bad as the device that Franz Kafka conjured up for the Penal Colony.

3 Likes