The marketplace desperatly needs quality control ASAP

LOL @ trusting Captain Sim.

8 Likes

Checking reviews is a good plan for any product.

Though be a little wary of super glowing reviews they tend to gloss over issues and, on the other hand, be very careful not to take too much notice of nit-picky negative ones where the reviewer is just trying to show off their ā€œeliteā€ knowledge (the typical ā€œthis plane is total rubbish as it shows 6 rivets on the tail plane when every one knows there should be eight on this variantā€ sort of nonsense )

The Market Place would be much more interesting - to me - if one could take aircraft for a test flight, limited in time and / or location.

No need for paybacks in that case. You can test if it works on your machine and if you like it.

I feel like the marketplace is in a unique position to offer this compared to the other places.

But I donā€™t see a lot of people suggesting this here so am I missing something?

5 Likes

That would be a great idea. They already control the DRM, and Iā€™m sure they could whip up some time limited access, like a week.

If anyone here has been granted a refund of a Marketplace item, how did that occur with regards to the removal of the product from your ā€œMy Contentā€ list? If they can de-authorise the product remotely, and Iā€™d be very surprised if they couldnā€™t, then a time limited authorisation should be easy to do.

I think testing for a week is way to long. I would suggest a sandbox place that stream the data from the server, so you could test out the plane/scenery on a closed server. No need to remove the product afterwards.
1 hour should be more than enough to get a first impression. The rest you can discover when u buy it.

So instead of have a time limited package, you want them to set up an entire server? Fine, change the time limit on the package to 1 hour, as you suggest. Then they donā€™t need to set up a server just for trialling packages.

Sounds fair enough to.
But i dont know what kind of problems both of options would bring with them. I guess they are big enough to prevent implementation now.

Another example of the lack of quality control on the Marketplace, Captain Sim 777-200ER is set to release today on the marketplace, which will definetly spike the sales of the aircraft, encouraging developers like Captain Sim to only make just as bad productsā€¦

4 Likes

how did it even get past their ā€˜standardsā€™ when it literally shows 4 engines straight away.

the marketplace is a total embaressment.

3 Likes

They donā€™t have standards for that. They only care that it follows their format in thumbnails and file structure and that it doesnā€™t contain anything they donā€™t allow - external programs, weapons, nudity, etc.

5 Likes

external programs, weapons, nudity, etc

This may cause issues for my ā€œNaked Natasha the gun toting ex-KGB co-pilotā€ external app by the sound of it.

4 Likes

Do it! :wink: Sounds like my kinda add-on. Itā€™s the anarchist teenager in me. :wink:

1 Like

The Captain Sim plane at least functions and looks pretty.
You canā€™t really say that about all Marketplace planes :grin:

I mean I kind of stopped caring. Itā€™s just another shop that sells tons of cr4p along with some good products, like all the other flightsim shops. But it gives you lots of DRM and bugs related to that and unmoddable planes.

Iā€™m over my hopes the MSFS marketplace would be something better. Cynicism is all that is left when I think about that shop.

2 Likes

Ultimately there is probably no standard of quality control which can be applied consistently and wonā€™t create more trouble for MS/Asobo than itā€™s worth, at least beyond ā€œdoes the addon function?ā€

To be honest I find buying stuff from places like Orbx is a good compromise. Updating is just a matter of running Orbx Central (rather than say the JF store that requires you to keep track of your products) and they get updates for their third party (non-Orbx) offerings far quicker than the marketplace and there are no DRM issues. You also get to manage your addons with addon linker rather than the annoying content manager.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the good thing. One has many choices as a customer.

I prefer to buy directly at the developers and second choice simmarket and if I cannot avoid or I have MS rewards to spend, MSFS marketplace.

Thereā€™s really interesting stuff out there which is not in shops at all. I recently bought a lifelong subscription for 24 EUR for https://beautifulmodelworld.ru
which gave me 18 airports and he releases about one airport a month. Great deal.

1 Like

The CaptainSim plane is okā€¦ My biggest issue with it is valueā€¦ I mean, itā€™s $30! For that money you ONLY get 4 engines on the plane? At the very least they could have done 6ā€¦ then itā€™d be $5/engine. If they REALLY wanted to impress their customers though, they really should have done 8.

7 Likes

My main concern with marketplace is the 7 day update cycle that actually is more like 10 days by the time MS check for unapproved ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  gun toting ladies.

So if an aircraft is released and there are immediate issues you have a minimum of 7 days wait before a fix can appear assuming the dev submits it instantly, otherwise 2 weeks. If that fix, as often happens, also has issues the dev has maybe 3 or 4 days to submit the new patch to meet the approval deadline for the next patch roll out, otherwise the updated fix will be a further 2 weeks away again.

3 Likes

so??? wait a bit until you buy anything, why all the hurry always.

Through various methods, publishers try to manipulate their audience against their better judgement. Fortunately many of those techniques are not at play here.

We donā€™t suffer from pre-orders, for example, with publishers attempting to induce the fear of missing out by including bonus items you canā€™t get any other wayā€¦except sometimes those items are available after release which makes the pre-order utterly pointless.

If MS did try to push some of the more egregious examples to the store, what would it look like?

Well, imagine we get the news that Asobo are going to release the ā€œinsert whatever plane you want above anything elseā€ in two months time. The plane will have a number of liveries with it, but some of them will only be available if you pre-order before the release date. They will never be available post release. Donā€™t worry, it gets worse. There is also a ladder, with a number of unlockable bonus liveries/addons, and the more people pre-order the new plane, the more unlocked liveries are available for purchasers. The hope here is that the community itself will recommend to everyone interested that they should pre-order this as they want these new liveries. The top item, if enough pre-orders are met, might be a float version of the plane, or maybe skids. You are now an unwitting, unpaid member of their marketing department.

If anyone thinks this last one is ridiculous, and would never happen, yes it is, and yes it did. Fortunately the community said that was too far, and it was killed off.

So yes, the Marketplace does have issues, but it could be far, far worse. Let me tell you about loot boxesā€¦

1 Like