The MSFS update process - the digital equivalent of a Rube Goldberg Machine?

That’s because it was tested first…

1 Like

One of the other common issues with updates from the MS Store ( not marketplace ) is that most of the time you have to reboot your PC before you can even see that there’s an update available. MSFS updates typically don’t show up in the Downloads / Updates section, even after you reboot. You have to go to the game page in your Library and wait 20 seconds or so for the download to automatically start. ( At least it’s not listed in Downloads if you’re looking for an update within an hour of release )

Another UI choice I never understood is why not use the notifications icon on the main menu to alert users about World Updates that need to be installed? Also, it seems better now - but there used to be no notifications about marketplace product updates being available. Previously, you’d have to know there was an update coming and go check Content Manager daily to see if it was available.

It’s also a minor frustration when you have to delete MS ‘handcrafted’ airports that are incompatible with 3rd party addons, and it keeps trying to reinstall them and you have to keep deleting them from content manager :wink: Doesn’t help that installs / deletes through content manger are unstable and cause freezes frequently… but that seems to have improved recently.

1 Like

Are you a little bit salty :rofl:

3 Likes

Yep, it kept ignoring me, too.

I had to, as mentioned at the top of the main discussion thread,
Go to Check for Updates and search to see if you have any Win 10 updates. I had one for the .Net and an optional 21H1 update which I installed (both). I rebooted, went back to the store, and when I went to “My Downloads and Updates” and selected the FlightSim game and went to its page, it started downloading the update.

In between, I also checked to see I was still logged into the XBox app.

Then you need to contact MS support their the ones hosting it no Asobo.

#1 Community mod removal - this is reasonably called a best practise, but this could be streamlined as well. Since the community mods cannot be really curated* by MSFS/Asobo, and they do risk breaking an updated version AND there are mandatory updates, the updater could simply rename the previous version mod folder with the previous version number and initialize a clean folder. Give the user a ping on startup to note that you should manually move the mods to the new folder, maybe one at a time and see if they work.

*at least not trivially

Neither are the ones in the marketplace. Yet Microsobo never tell you to install all of those. There have been a few so far that have caused issues with updates. One recent one was the Zinertek (sp) airport texture pack.

Well that is much more sloppy… I’ve been content with the vanilla content and the world updates so far, so I have not paid attention to that sector. Interesting to hear those can be bad as well :confused:

A mod is a mod, whether it’s in the community folder or Official folder. Microsobo don’t QA or curate anything in the marketplace. That content can be just as problematic as a community mod. Only they don’t tell you to remove their marketplace content before updates as it would make the stuff in the marketplace potentially look bad…

1 Like

I fixed it myself. Simply select “Uninstall”, Then install in Microsoft store and like a miracle from heaven, in only 2 hrs. and 28 min. for a 125GB download/install it was updated. I didn’t watch, I took a nap :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few posts from the top of this topic:

The MSFS update process - the digital equivalent of a Rube Goldberg Machine? - #24 by CptLucky8

1 Like

I dont even know how to delete something from my content manager. I started to download a free airport (EDLP paderborn) but then cancelled it as soon as I saw it was like 18gig, and now I cant delete it.

The whole installation and updating process is way too complicated.

Too complex and relies on too many disconnected systems in order to function properly. If at any step along the way any of these systems are fauly, you’re boned and the whole update fails.

There are so many potential points of failure when using the MS Store version. I’m glad I have the Steam version. I don’t need the store, Xbox app, MS Gaming Services or any of that extra stuff. It’s just a Steam update, which ALWAYS works, and then the sim fires up and the in-game updater runs. No guarantees that in-game updater will work though. I’ve been hit with issues there like decompression loops, but managed to get them fixed.

2 Likes

Agree 100%. I had the MS Store version as you may know from previous posts I made, until I give up with all those layers of programs and problems, and as I was just using the monthly gamepass, I bought the game on Steam.
What a deliverance! All goes flawless from that moment for updating. It still, as you explained, painful after as we land in the obscure system of the in-game updates process (Market, Profile, etc.) but at least it work each time a new update happen. I still read so many post in the last update feedback thread about people not able to get the last update, pffiiuuuuu, sad for them. That’s definitively need to be improved.

1 Like

Haven’t had any issues with the Store or getting updates. Haven’t had any CTD or other issues with SU5 either. I read all these comments and wonder what game they’re describing.

I wish I knew what the common thread is for people who’ve had all these issues.

Agreed. Either have the Store App or the Xbox app with all updates happening within the sim UI.

3 Likes

In addition to all the very valid points in this post we also need to mention that every MINOR update appears to come with a download and install that is almost equivalent to a full application reinstall.

I am very luck to live in a place where I have 500 megabit bandwidth and unlimited data caps but that is not the case for everyone. I can’t imagine how people on low bandwidth connections would every be able to install updates for this game. If you had a 1 megabit internet connection it would take 2 - 5 days to do some of the updates for this game.

1 Like

Some years ago, I reluctantly purchased an Apple Ipad. I say reluctantly, because the interface is severely dumbed down to cater for the broad cross section of users.
After over a decade of use, and being replaced with newer models regularly, I have come to appreciate their ‘dumbed down’ approach.
Updates are easy to manage, if frustrating that everything is updated so often.
Interfaces are intuitive. MAybe they understood their users?
Now compare this with MSFS.
WOW, I have been in IT since the 70’s, and MS stuff could be described as a ■■■■■■■■.
NO continuity, No commonality, and 30 different approaches for 20 pieces of software.
Not even the OFFICE suite is intuitive or suitable for a significant percentage of users. just too complicated.
However, I did manage to update to the latest version by opening the XBOX app in the MSstore (yeah I was looking for that on a PC?) and then opening the MSFS tab in the owned software window. Then it all happened seamlessly.
But why would I have thought of that as a consumer?
A simple update email (they have my details) would have seen this happen without any drama. Instead, I wasted about 6 hrs of trying and trying to make this happen. Thankfully, another thread on this forum made the process clear.
Not really customer support? And I am sure that MS cust support reps are fed up with this aas well. They have been setup for failure as well.

2 Likes

A suggestion to add to the mix:

A lot of us have experienced very slow downloads, with the speed crawling to a halt for hours.

So it would be great to have the ability to select, if not a mirror, at least a region from which to download.

Much like the existing drop down menu on the top left of the screen.
Thank you.

On top of the keeping your Windows updates up to date as very well discussed above, very often XBox App login issues / corruptions. There could also be country related issues. People who use Gamepass seem to have problems.

As has been noted over and over again, despite the constant advice against it, many people who experience CTD’s overclock their machines and/or memory. MSFS is extremely memory intensive, so overclocked memory chips can pretty easily overheat, especially when transitioning to a new phase of flight where lots of memory is being paged in and out.

Many addons are very poorly written. A major source of CTD’s are non-unique paths to data, such as using mycompany\modellib.bgl. If you find this, you need to change the name of the mycompany directory at least and update the layout.json with the new directory name. I usually change the name of the modellib.bgl file. There are other similar issues. Point is, directory paths have to be unique, or the VFS system will get confused. In fact, they just discovered a bug where Texture files are used across VFS boundaries that will be fixed soon. And there are many other ways addons can be poorly written and cause problems.

Liveries… so many issues here. There is a limit of 13 liveries that can be used for AI, more than this and CTD’s will ensue. At least that’s my understanding. Also, people will try to use 10K liveries for AI planes, and quickly run out of memory.

Shall I go on?

Main point… many people aren’t aware of how important it is to maintain or even how to maintain their PC’s.

1 Like