The V-22 Osprey from Miltech Simulations

Is it known behavior for lowering the ramp in flight to cause an overstress?

This was reported for the first time recently. Generally, I always recommend flying with crash detection turned off (this issue will be entirely avoided by doing so, and this is recommended in the aircraft manual) as the custom flight dynamics tend to break how MSFS calculates forces. For MSFS, the aircraft going straight up at a high vertical speed may mean that high forces are being applied on the aircraft, therefore triggering the overstress.

Also important to note that the aircraft features a custom-made crash detection system. For example, if the props crash into an object, the engines will fail.

3 Likes

Just a reminder that manuals are available here: Miltech Simulations - Maryadi: MV-22B Osprey for Microsoft Flight Simulator

We have spent lots of time creating detailed documentation, as this aircraft has a few quirks. Section 6 on ā€œIMPORTANT NEED-TO-KNOWā€ covers most of the aspects you must consider before flying the aircraft.

7 Likes

This is common for many aircraft. For some of the Pipers (Carenado I think), even opening the little side window next to the pilot causes FS to think the plane has overstressed. Some planes the developers have figured out how to avoid this, but I donā€™t know who or what planes off the top of my head.

@LikedHare478430 is correct, only solution if you want to do things like open the ramp in flight is to turn crash protection off for those planes that havenā€™t been designed to accomplish this. I donā€™t know that all developers are even aware of this issue.

2 Likes

Question: for me when I fly it with the nacelles at about a 20 degree angle I get 225 knots at low altitudes. However when I rotate the nacells all the way down to 0 degrees I canā€™t get the speed above 190 knots. And I can never get the reported 280 knots that I hear in the videos.

It doesnā€™t make sense to me that the V-22 is slower when the nacelles are down compared to up at a slight angle. Does this happen to just me? Can anybody give me a tip to fix this?

Note that I fly in VR if thatā€™s a factor.

Thatā€™s definitely odd - I can fly the aircraft at 260-280kts in APLN mode

Are you getting the 190 in full throttle?

Note that the real Osprey does limit throttle to a lower power setting (~85%) in APLN mode, 100% is only available in VTOL. That is to reduce stress on the engines. This is somewhat modeled, as you can get a little more throttle in VTOL than APLN - but 190 still seems too low

2 Likes

Yes, full throttle well over 90%ā€¦ itā€™s confusing. I have wheels up and flaps in auto mode. I donā€™t know what else I could try. Iā€™m flying happily along with a slight nacelle angle at 225 knots and move the nacells down the last bit expecting a speed bump but instead I get the V-22 slowing to under 190. Crazy. At least you confirmed I should be doing better so Iā€™ll keep looking for the reason. Thanks for the input.

Iā€™ll investigate as well. Will keep you updated.

The native MSFS flight model kicks in a 0 degress - have you tried shifting between 0 and 1 degree?

1 Like

Here are some cockpit pics just so weā€™re sure Iā€™m not crazy. I just took these a moment ago.

This pic shows full throttle 103% with 3 degrees nacelle angle. Iā€™m getting 232 knots.

This pic shows 0 degree nacelles at 103% throttle and the speed dropped to 182.

Hereā€™s a pic of the config showing wheels up and auto flaps.

NOTE: This isnā€™t a new issue for me. It was in the prior version also.

As noted, and I thought I remembered that you donā€™t want to be at 0 degrees? Did you try 1 degree as suggested above?

1 degree is the same as 3 degrees. I get 235 knots.
1degree_small

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry, I missed your 3 degrees comment.
Still not 280ā€¦

Yes, and hereā€™s a tip. Donā€™t fly at 103% power. I blew the engine every flight trying to get these pics. I had to restart the flight every time. You canā€™t fly at that power for very long!

1 Like

Absolutely loving the aircraft. One quality-of-life request: is there any way to improve the range of brightness levels of the displays and button illumination? As it is, itā€™s almost painfully bright when flying at night.

Flight model: Modern?
Drag slider at 0?

Use the knobs (Off-Night-Day). Night mode is less bright, and a lot more comfortable to use.

Maybe itā€™s an Xbox thing, but they really donā€™t seem to make much of any difference. Shots 1 and 2 are with all lighting switches set to 2 (at 1, everything is off) and MFDs set to Night. Shots 3 and 4 are with all lighting switches set to 100 and MFDs set to Day.

On the overhead panel, switch Lighting Mode from ā€œDAYā€ to ā€œNIGHTā€

1 Like

What is the drag slider? Whereā€™s that?