There is no downgrade in SU5

I’m having a really hard time perceiving any kind of downgrade in game and I’ve been playing on ultra on an Intel i9 10900kf w/ 32GB ram and an RTX3080. Of course I’m running 1080p on my media/gaming PC in my living room so I may not have ever been able to really appreciate higher quality.

I’m the screenshots shared I can see the differences only after they are pointed out
Thanks for highlighting the differences because I don’t think my brain noticed otherwise. I think you may be on to something that some of us don’t notice those differences the same way others do for one reason or another. Eyesight, monitor distance, resolution, neurological or psychological differences, etc.

1 Like

Mod Edit: Moved from very similar duplicate new thread

Hi guys,

I have to say, the negativity on the forum lately is horrendous. I do understand it’s annoying if something got broken or doesn’t look as nice as it should but give the devs some slack and keep it civil towards each other. Don’t give this community a bad name by harassing each other. This has been such a hot topic, it’s impossible for them to ignore, it will get fixed.

As for myself I haven’t noticed that much difference other than the overexposure which might actually be the cause of some degradation? I mean it’s harder to see details and shadows if the whole picture is overexposed? I have to add that my dinosaur can barely run MSFS at medium settings (medium with some settings high now) and 25/30 FPS.

Just a thought, there has been this screenshot challenge before the release of SU5, maybe we can try to replicate these photo’s with the new SU5 and hold them side by side.

I know it’s difficult to find the exact same conditions and settings but maybe some of the original posters will scroll through this thread.

Keep it civil…

1 Like

Yesterstay I was flying with a Cessna 172 (anolog) from Amsterdam Schiphol (EHAM) to Lelystad (EHLE). I must say, the experience was almost real! The sim is butter smooth without these anoying stutters, even during turns. Since the vision is more stable, its easier to recognize landmarks. The colors of the landscape are vibrant and the vegetation looks more realistic than before. I had to complete a crosswind landing that was rather challenging. Full rudder input is required after touchdown. Other than that, SU5 has been really an improvement for the total flight experience.

However, the airliners are a mess. Lighting switches and fuel cut-off switches were not working… many addons need to update the code. All freeware and. Payware developers need to catch up with the new reality.

1 Like

“There is no downgrade in SU5”

Asobo disagrees with you in an interview they just did on the Xbox release…

Inside Microsoft Flight Simulator - Xbox Ports, Performance, PC Optimisations - The Asobo Breakdown!

1 Like

Do you have pictures of other areas? I’ve seen these two before in another post and I am curious if this happened to be a glitch. Could you take the time to minic the pictures of @gordongreig above? Then we would have a real comparison. Thanks!

Thats right because the mods keep removing them constantly somehow. Meanwhile i am trying to let see the huge difference only. The places were random, cant really remember. But the one i took last year was in UK heading to Leeds Bradford

Could the downgrade be caused by an increase of the number of users now Xbox is online, trying to download from the server at the same time?

Did anyone try to flush the rolling cache down the toilet, download a new area in cache and try if there is a degradation in visual appearance?

1 Like

OK, I don’t think the mods are doing anything. Here are three posts with these same pictures. Now variously near new york, rotterdam or Leeds Bradford. It also isn’t clear what picture is what and, in one of them, the photos are clearly real life. Why don’t you find someplace where you see the issue, take a screenshot, tell us where that is and we’llsee if we can replicate it.

2 Likes

Someone with access to the source code is @Bishop398 from WT, maybe he can provide some facts on whether there was indeed an intended visual downgrade or not?

Thanks for this link. I enjoyed watching the video. Very open, very informative. Great interviewer also!
So Lionel says indeed: we just needed to get it into the box! When you see the comparison video’s side by side one can only marvel at the magnificent job they did to achieve this.
What (but hey, who am I) might have been even better was if he had said: we just needed to get this done… for now. And now we’re putting back all our resources to target our next goals for pc, vr.
This would maybe have reduced some of the conspiracy talk here. However, I doubt that…

Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

The launch for Xbox was intended and they had to optimize a lot to make this possible. Watch the video posted above. They did this with the least, if any, compromise for pc users. In the mean time they created huge room for improvement on the pc platform. And that’s what they can and will use now for future improvements.

Maybe it’s related to which server people are connected to? Some servers might have higher load than others?

But than you can play Call of Duty with the other half of the RAM on a second screen…!!! :laughing:
Kiddig, I have the same here. 64GB RAM for more or less nothing. But, its a powerfull console, they said. (compared to Nintendo 3d or what?)

To be totally honest, i didn’t see a real significant downgrade in visual effect, neither.But…CTD at EVERY single attempt to make a IFR flight with any airliner…yes. fluidity in fps…nah…is has not got worse, but definitely not better either. So…yes, there ARE problems.
I can start the sim, prepare a dlight on simbrief, set it in the mcdu/mfs. And then it starts…CTDs before pushback, or during taxi, ore just after takeoff. It is just so frustrating…
Happy flying. Hope to be able to join problemless people in the skies on MSFS2020 again soon

I can’t stand COD. Waiting for WW3 1.0 launch…

Lol,

No downgrade here, just trust me and look at those carefully selected screens

Asobo should hire you.

3 Likes

Do you think that when DX12 finally arrives on PC, (great that Xbox already has it) things will settle down and improve again! Asobo had to do something to give PC guys a performance boost when Xbox has clearly nailed it!

1 Like

Maybe they should have interviewed you instead! I hope they notice your efforts and hire you as their PR guy.

It doesn’t matter what system you have. What matters are the measureable facts, that have nothing to do with opinions or “feelings”. The downgrade is measureable and partly confirmed by the devs since its now part of the way, the game engine works. Since it influenced the graphic fidelity, its mostly noticable in ultra settings, which is the reason why most of the complains come from users running these settings on high end systems.

6 Likes