Thinking of getting into VR

Especially not with the F18! :rofl: I must have been lucky, I didn’t feel any sickness from aside from a bit of unusual feeling with the F18 then I was fine.

Flying a helicopter around somewhere like Zell am See or similar is just incredible in VR. How did we survive in the days of FS9 and FSX?

1 Like

yes how did we? in 20 years time we may be asking how we survived with msfs 2020?

here’s a pic of my 1st sim, from the mid 80s. it was played on a commodore 64 and called flight path 737. the only things that were animated were the runway and the dials. the mountains stayed the same. the whole game was based on whether you could take off then land. i could take off but don’t recall landing lol.

flight-path-737_4

3 Likes

I see one too many do it and it can make you uncomfortable for days and give up VR all together… there are a lot of teleportation games to do first, also no movement (driving, walking) and overall I would limit also teleportation games (and static like JOB SIMULATOR) for short session :slight_smile:

Now I have no issues whatsoever in using VR :slight_smile: (besides needing a new GPU but refuse to pay £700 for a GPU with 10gb vram lol…)

Should I say that I use VR with AMD Ryzen 5 2600, NVIDIA GeForce 1660, 16GB RAM and a Gear VR with IVRY driver? What I really miss is a bigger SSD to put all MSFS files in it. Even with this low level equipment, VR is always my first option (unless the mobile is low on battery or I have to look after the kids).

That’s the thing with VR you simply can’t describe it to someone who hasn’t experienced it, and not knowing what to expect when you are about to try. My first headset was a Rift CV1 back in June 2017, bought on a whim as my old PC had just died and every PC I was looking at online came with a ‘VR Ready’ logo on them. Oculus was doing a Summer of Rift sale with the headset at just £399 with a bunch of games included plus a second sensor for standing play so I bought one when I ordered my new PC.

I don’t know what I was expecting, I think kind of like a giant cinema screen or something but what I got blew me away. I think it’s the true 6 degrees of freedom that is hard to explain. Being able to physically walk into the world. I guess I expected a table in front of me to sort of zoom in and get bigger if I walked towards it, but actually you move just like in real life are physically within the space. I can still remember how awestruck I was when I could look under, and then physically lie down under a table, I was laughing out loud as I was doing it, like being a kid again.

Now VR is all I do.

2 Likes

True, I have been flying for over a decade (in real life) and the other day I was flying with such a great mood-weather in Alaska on the Zenith (probably one of the very few that has a decent realism on this platform) and it felt like my normal flight, exception done for the FOV :slight_smile:

Just it takes a bit to get used to, physically, I do both 2D and VR but sure enough you cannot compare the two, especially if one has a good hardware to run high settings!

1 Like

As someone who has only ever simmed, and never been in a GA plane it’s great to hear that MSFS and VR can that closely approximate the real thing.

Late entrant to this discussion but my one bit of advice to folks considering venturing down the VR road is beware!!! Once you’ve experienced the VR effect there is no going back.
(And I speak as someone who has paired his G2 with an extremely modest and somewhat ancient rig (I7 9700 and humble 1660 card). It may not quite be as smooth as expensive silk but, hey ho. What you’ve never had you don’t miss.) Whether it’s flying, rallying or racing there truly is no alternative.
Just one bit of advice though. Ensure your flight simming is done safely away from the prying eyes of your partner.
Enquiries about “what you looking at” as you are steering the headset through 720 degrees seeking your required control or POI can really destroy the immersion!

2 Likes

I’ve simmed first, then taken lessons, and it absolutely does.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.