Third-Party Aircraft Development - Tail Wagging the Dog?

The MSFS team recognizes that different simmers – regardless if they use the PC or Xbox platform – all have their own individual preferences when it comes to what type of aircraft they prefer to fly. Between the base MSFS package, the Reno collection, the Top Gun: Maverick expansion, and free updates such as the Game of the Year and 40th Anniversary Editions, we’ve provided almost every aircraft type. Whether you like piston engine GA, turboprops, business jets, narrow and wide body jetliners, military jets, classic planes from the golden age of flight, vintage warbirds, helicopters, gliders, experimental eVOTLs like the Volocopter, or even fictional aircraft like the Darkstar and Halo Pelican, we’ve done our best to offer something for everyone to enjoy regardless of their individual preferences.

Different third-party developers will each have their own motivations when it comes to what planes they choose to create. I’m sure some devs chase the market and go after what they think will generate lots of sales (and there’s certainly nothing wrong with making something popular that many simmers want to buy), while others create passion projects that they don’t expect to sell particularly well but the dev has a strong affinity for a particular plane and really wants to bring it to the sim. One thing I’m sure of: there’s a huge number of third-party developers making great things for MSFS, and over time the library of available aircraft will grow to include almost every popular plane (and even some not-so-popular ones!) to ever fly since the Wright Flyer.

When I look at the last several weeks of new planes released in the Marketplace, I see a variety of different aircraft types represented; new airliners, piston GA, military jets, vintage planes, and helicopters have all been released in recent weeks. I wouldn’t say that third-party releases on the Marketplace have been dominated by any one type at all.

16 Likes